× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Key based SSH authentication on M5300

icotera
Aspirant

Key based SSH authentication on M5300

Is this even possible? How to configure it if so?

Model: M5300-28G3 (GSM7328Sv2h2)|ProSAFE 24-port Managed L3 Gigabit Stackable Switch
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Key based SSH authentication on M5300

@icotera,

I forwarded your previous response to the higher tier of NETGEAR Support and just got a feedback today.  With regard to your query, it was confirmed by the higher tier of NETGEAR Support that it is not possible to upload user SSH keys and not possible to assign particular keys to individual users. 

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 5

All Replies
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi @icotera,

Yes it is possible.  The higher tier of NETGEAR Support have confirmed that it is possible.  Kindly read page 568 of the M5300 user manual here.

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 2 of 5
icotera
Aspirant

@DaneA wrote:

Hi @icotera,

Yes it is possible.  The higher tier of NETGEAR Support have confirmed that it is possible.  Kindly read page 568 of the M5300 user manual here.

I've already read the manual and there's nothing in there regarding user SSH keys. It only describes how to download/manage the host SSH keys.

I think you/Netgear didn't understand my question, I'll try to clarify:

There are two methods of authenticating with SSH. One is the traditional one where you need to provide username and password when logging in. The other one is a key based approach. There is no password prompt and users are authenticated based on public SSH user keys stored on the device. For this method to work, there must be a method to upload/configure user SSH keys to/on the device, and possibly a configuration option to assign particular keys to appropriate users.

Message 3 of 5
icotera
Aspirant

Any ideas if this is possible?

Message 4 of 5
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@icotera,

I forwarded your previous response to the higher tier of NETGEAR Support and just got a feedback today.  With regard to your query, it was confirmed by the higher tier of NETGEAR Support that it is not possible to upload user SSH keys and not possible to assign particular keys to individual users. 

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements