× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

M7100-24x not autoneg 10gb

nemike
Aspirant

M7100-24x not autoneg 10gb

I just got my M7100-24x and successfully upgraded to 11.0.0.18, I'm new to the netgear switch and wonder if I'm missing setting something.  I have a 2019 Mac Pro that I'm connecting up and they negotiate 1gb, but if I go in and manually set the interface speed on the mac I'm successful in connecting at 10gb.  I'm also not sure if the mac will connect at 10gb by default.

Thanks, Mike

Message 1 of 4
schumaku
Guru

Re: M7100-24x not autoneg 10gb

From the IEEE standards prospective, link negotiation is mandatory for 10 GbE and up - so there should not be such a control. Netgear is strict with this mandatory item, while Apple isn't - luckily in this case.

Cable quality and length is within the requirement for 10 GbE? About the 10 Gigabit Ethernet port on Mac  - this nothing Apple specific for once, just a nice explanation of the industry standards.

Message 2 of 4
nemike
Aspirant

After a lot more experimentation, manually setting 10gb speed does not work, it was coincidence that it negotiated 10gb.  What I'm finding is it very rarely negotiates 10gb but when it does it works great.  I am using brand new 5m Cat 7 cables, I just ordered some Cat 8 cables to try also and will once they arrive.  Is there any settings on the netgear to allow the negotiation to take longer?  Maybe it is just taking much longer than it should for Apple interface to start up it's pulses??  (Grasping...)

Thanks, Mike

Message 3 of 4
nemike
Aspirant

Ok got the CAT8 cables, no difference, but what I did find was if I kept moving the cable to another port within a couple attempts it would get 10gb.

Apple says it's a problem with the netgear (of course, it's the blame game)

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements