× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

PBR Policy Based Routing using Managed Switch

APurk
Aspirant

PBR Policy Based Routing using Managed Switch

I am no expert with networks, but I am wondering if anyone has had any experience with PBR (Policy Based Routing) using Netgear Managed Switches.

More specifically I am wanting to define the onward hop based upon the source IP.

Looking through the manual, I can't find any insights on how to implement it using the web application.

So to give an example:

Message received on port 1 from source IP 192.168.254.1/24, with destination 172.168.0.1/24

I would like to define the next hop to be an interface with IP 192.168.1.1/24 (connected to port 2)

Another message received on port 1, source: 192.168.254.2/24, same destination IP.

I would like to define the next hop to be an interface with IP 192.168.2.1/24 (connected to port 3)

and so on.

Is this possible? Any help or suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Model: GSM7352Sv2|ProSafe 48 ports managed L3 gigabit stackable switch
Message 1 of 8
JohnRo
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: PBR Policy Based Routing using Managed Switch

Hello APurk, 

Welcome to the community! 

You'll probably need to do this using CLI. Please see the CLI manual for the switch (click here, page 257). If you need assistance with the configuration, please do not hesitate to contact our Support Team

Thanks, 

Message 2 of 8
Jedi_Exile
NETGEAR Expert

You should be able to do it.  PBR should be able to override the next hop for you.  There are few gottacha when it comes to PBR.   

So in this case, let say you have need to have 2 learned route for destination 172.168.0.0 /24 via 192.168.1.1 and another entry in route table for same network via 192.168.2.1

Now you can override based on source address (route-map) that if source is x then next hop is 192.168.1.1 or if source is y then next hop is 192.168.2.1

Hope that helps clarify it.  Post back if you have tried any specific command and your route table if you want any further help or discussion on it.  PBR is CLI only.

Message 3 of 8
APurk
Aspirant

Apologies for it being such a long time for a reply, but work comittments have kept me away from this project, however I am looking at it again in earnest.

I have been reading through the V10.0 CLI manual for the switch (as this is the firmware I am running) and I can't seem to find the section whereby I specify the next hop IP based upon the source IP address (not the destination).

I had a go at using ACLs to achieve what I wanted, but didn't seem to work as I was intending.

Any extra pointers or suggestions at this juncture would be much appreciated.

Model: M5300-52G3 (GSM7352Sv2h2)|ProSAFE 48-port Managed L3 Gigabit Stackable Switch
Message 4 of 8
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@APurk,

I have checked you profile and found out that you have an M5300-52G3 switch registered under your name.  

Policy-based routing is not mentioned in the CLI user manual (Software Version 10.x).  However, it is mentioned in the CLI user manual (Software Version 11.x).  According to page 691 of the CLI user manual (Software Version 11.x) here, policy-based routing are only applicable to M6100 series switches.  

Also, policy-based routing is not mentioned in the M5300 series data sheet.  Whereas in the M6100 series data sheet, policy-based routing is indicated as one of the features.  You may double-check on the following data sheets below:

M5300 series Data Sheet

M6100 series Data Sheet

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 5 of 8
LaurentMa
NETGEAR Expert

Hi APurk,

M5300 models don't support PBR. Datasheet and other brochures hopefully indicate that.

Instead, Technical documentation is cross platform for Fully Managed Switches, based on Software release / branch number, so 10x, 11x etc..

To date, only M6100 Chassis and newer M4300 Stackable L3 series (both 1G models and 10G models) offer PBR. You can visit www.netgear.com/managed

PBR configuration is CLI mode only, this is one of the only few features we don't show in Web interface (GUI). You can refer to CLI manual indicated above in DaneA response.

I hope this helps!

Regards,
Message 6 of 8
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@APurk,

I just want to follow-up on this.  We’d greatly appreciate your feedback.

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 7 of 8
APurk
Aspirant

I had to abandon PBR plans for this setup, as you pointed out, the switch I have doesn't support it.

ACLs didn't seem to be giving me the desired results either.

I ended up changing the way in which I was implementing a particular device, and used Tagged packets to achieve what I wanted to.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements