× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Switch appears to change vlan tag

romand
Aspirant

Switch appears to change vlan tag

Our network has both data and voice vlans the data is untagged as vlan 1 and voice tagged as vlan 2.  When a new phone is installed the default on the phone has vlans disabled.  The start sequence on the phones is as follows:

1: Obtain an address on the data vlan supplying a tftp server address.

2: Obtain a configuration file from the tftp server that turns on vlans and sets the voice vlan to 2

3: Phone reboots and obtains an address on vlan 2 with a tftp server on the voice vlan (2)

Since adding a M4100-26G switch the above sequence breaks.  A new phone requests an address on the data

vlan but somehow the request gets tagged with vlan 2 and the voice dhcp server get the request instead of the 

data dhcp server.  Since the reply is tagged as vlan 2 the phone never gets the response.  Is there some configuration option on the switch that changes the vlan tagging.  Possibly the auto voip OUI based options.

I have checked the manual to see what this performs but it is not well documented.  

Anyone run into the before?  Is it supposed to do this?  Is it a bug?  Any help would be greatly appreciated as

this is preventing any new telephones from being added to our network.

Thanks in advance..

Roman Dumycz

roman@secureas.ca

Message 1 of 6
jguerdat
Guru

Re: Switch appears to change vlan tag

No suggestions here since this is the Arlo security camera forum.

Message 2 of 6
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi romand,

Just want to share this article below in case you have not yet came across with:

http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/21617/~/how-do-i-configure-voice-vlan-and-prioritize-v...

What is the current firmware version of your M4100-26G? 

Regards, 

DaneA

Netgear Community Team

Message 3 of 6
romand
Aspirant

DaneA,

Firmware is 10.0.1.16.  None of the Qos has been configured.  It is default from the factory.

Message 4 of 6
romand
Aspirant

DaneA,

Firmware is 10.0.1.16.  None of the Qos has been configured.  It is default from the factory.

The problem is that the DHCP request from the phone (the phone is configured not to use vlans) has its vlan tag

changed to 2.  Should the switch be doing this and if so where is it configured to do so.  In other words if this is what the switch is supposed to do how to I turn this feature off.  The phone's DHCP request should be answered by the data vlan server not the voice vlan server in this instance since the packet is untagged on a data port.

Romand

Message 5 of 6
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi romand,

The current firmware version of the M4100-26G is old.  I suggest that you update it to the latest version 10.0.2.13.  You can download it here.  Be sure to perform a factory reset on the M4100-26G after updating the firmware then reconfigure it from scratch.

The M4100-26G does not change the VLAN tag set on the IP phone.  Have you check the article that I have provided on my previous response?  I suggest you to try to follow it or rather use it as reference guide to make it work.  You may want to contact Netgear Support to assist you with your concerns and help you with the setup: http://support.netgear.com/general/contact/

Regards,

DaneA

Netgear Community Team

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements