× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Using M4100-26G-POE For ASE WAN

NetGeak88
Aspirant

Using M4100-26G-POE For ASE WAN

Hello Netgear Community!

My company recently implemented an ASE (AT&T Switched Ethernet) WAN with a rate 250Mb and latency of 51ms. The fiber drop is plugged into the SFP port on the Netgear and the interface is set to 1Gb full-duplex. I have the two remote sites communicating (the other end is a Cisco L3 switch) so the WAN is "working", however, we aren't seeing great throughput from the Netgear side.

ASE Tech Support said I we are hitting their policer that is monitoring traffic leaving the Netgear and we need to set (Bc and Be) the commited burst rate to 250Mb/sec (which I did with the interface command of 'traffic-shape 25' which limits the transmitted bandwidth to 25% of the line speed = 250Mb/sec) and committed burst size of 128KB. My current problem is, I cannot figure out how to set a committed burst size on the egress for the interface.

I found documentation stating how to create an inbound policy to limit the bandwidth and set the committed burst rate, however the CLI and GUI both do NOT offer any outbound policies.

I am guessing this platform simply doesn't support it and I would venture an even bigger guess that we are using the wrong switch platform for this sort of setup. Please let me know if I am overlooking the solution in this particular switch. Thank you so much!

Model: M4100-26G-PoE (GSM7226LP)|ProSAFE 26-port Gigabit Fully Managed L2 Switch with PoE
Message 1 of 6
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Re: Using M4100-26G-POE For ASE WAN

Hi NetGeak88,

Welcome to the community! 

Netgear Managed Switch support transmitted bandwidth limit per port or global. Yes, 'traffic-shape' is the correct CLI command. And this function will shape the outbound transmission rate, specifies the maximum bandwidth allowed.

traffic-shape.jpg

If you want limit transmitted bandwidth in one port, you only need to set 'traffic-shape xxx' in interface config mode, and the 'xxx' is the percent of line rate of the port.

But there is  attention, the transmission rate is related with packet length, tipically we caculate the rate with 512 lentgh.

For example:

If packet length is 64Bytes, the line rate is about 761Mbps, so shape bandwidth to  25%, the rate is nearby 190Mbps;

If packet length is 512Bytes, the line rate is about 962Mbps, so shape bandwidth to 25%, the rate is nearby 240Mbps;

If packet length is 1024Bytes, the line rate is about 987Mbps, so shape bandwidth to 25%, the rate is nearby 247Mbps;

BTW, pleare refer to attachment of 'shape rate with packet is 1500Bytes.jpg'.

shape rate with packet is 1500Bytes.jpg

Thanks,

Eric
NETGEAR Employee
Message 2 of 6
NetGeak88
Aspirant

Hello Eric,

I am not sure I understand. With 'traffic-shape 25' on that interface, AT&T/ASE says we're still hitting their policer and that is most likely causing are poor throughput. Is there a way to set a committed burst size on egress for the port?

Message 3 of 6
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Hi NetGeak88,

Do you mean to set CR(Committed Rate) and CBR(Committed Burst Size)? If so, maybe the DiffServ feature can comply with your request.

DiffServ_QoS.jpg

For the detailed information of DiffServ, please refer to User Manual(Page241):

http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/M4100/M4100_UM_2apr15.pdf

Thanks,

Eric
NETGEAR Employee
Message 4 of 6
NetGeak88
Aspirant

Hello Eric,

That's exactly what I need. I attempted the DiffServ settings but before I can get to the screen you referenced above, I have to create a new Policy and the "Policy Type" field is statically set to "in". So it definitely seems like the M4100 just doesn't support what I need.

PolicyIn.PNG

Message 5 of 6
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Hi NetGeak88,

Yes, for M4100 seriels Switch, it only support DiffServ policy inbound. It means that DUT will apply the policy and shape the traffic on inbound direction. 

Thanks,

Eric
NETGEAR Employee
Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements