× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Vlan setup issues

mcoulter
Follower

Vlan setup issues

We are trying to setup VLANs on two M5300 stacked switches (many more to add later but starting simple).  By default we have everything on VLAN 1 and all the ports are Untagged.  I'm using VLAN 7 for a test.  I've tried setting up my test port to my desktop to VLAN 7 while all the other ports are set to except all VLANs and I get no traffic.  If I Tag the port for the router on the VLANs, I actually get no traffic on either VLAN.  I'm must be missing something.  If I step back, and simply just work with VLAN1 and I Tag the port for the router, I lose all traffic internal and external. 

Message 1 of 2
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Vlan setup issues

Hello mcoulter,

Welcome to the community!

The port where you connect the router (should be VLAN-aware router) should be tagged and the ports where you connect computers (or any VLAN-unaware LAN devices such as pass through switch, printers, etc.) should be untagged. Remember that you also need to change the PVID of the untagged ports, PVID =VLAN ID. Tagged ports' PVID need to to be changed.

Regards,

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements