× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

XSM4328CV - M4350-24X4V - LACP goes down and switch becomes unresponsive

Neoower
Aspirant

XSM4328CV - M4350-24X4V - LACP goes down and switch becomes unresponsive

I just purchased the M4350-24X4V 10GB switch and ever since installing it I have been having a problem where the switch will stop sending LACP keepalives causing my LAG to my main switch to go down. When this happens the switch stops responding via the USB console, and the OOB management port no longer works for HTTPS or SSH.

The only way to get the switch to come back to life is to power cycle it.

I checked the firmware and its the latest available on the netgear website and i have even factory reset the switch config and setup the most basic config that I could. (One vlan, OOB port for management, Portchannel with a trunk to my main switch, all ports set as access)

Message 1 of 9
msi
Luminary
Luminary

Re: XSM4328CV - M4350-24X4V - LACP goes down and switch becomes unresponsive

Ouch, the M4350 are pretty new, nonetheless that shouldn't happen for a released product. I've encountered some nasty bugs in the earlier days of the M4300, so this might be one of those cases where you should open a ticket with Netgear support and let them know about it.

What could be helpful for their Support is to leave a serial console attached to it with a software that logs everything to a file. I've worked with Netgear support on M4300 stack crashes and that did also help them.

Message 2 of 9
LaurentMa
NETGEAR Expert

Hi @Neoower ,

Sorry about this issue. What is your core, and do you know if you kept Auto-LAG enabled on the M4350 switch? It is enabled by default in Switching\LAG; maybe it is conflicting with your core configuration. Same for Auto-Trunk in Switching\VLAN\Advanced\VLAN Trunking.

Can you export the Tech Support file (Maintenance/Export/HTTP File Export/tech-support in the dropdown menu) and send it to ProAVDesign@netgear.com

We will see what is going wrong. Thank you,

Message 3 of 9
Neoower
Aspirant

The core is a Cisco 3750X. The uplinks between the cisco switch and the netgear switch are 10GB SFP DAS. 

Auto LAG admin mode is disabled. Auto-Trunk Admin mode was enabled, I will disable that right now.

I have had a support case open for about a week with no movement (47727678). When I called in on Friday I was advised to email the proavdesign team which I did, but I still have not heard back. In the case is the show tech and I enabled logging to usb drive hoping to catch something when the switch locks up, those logs are on the case as well.

Message 4 of 9
LaurentMa
NETGEAR Expert

Hi @Neoower ,

Thank you, I have consulted your case and asked the team (Tech Support and ProAV Design) to get back to it now that we have crash logs in your ticket.

For now, can you please try the following:

• IT GUI,  System\ISDP: Disable Admin Mode under Global Configuration, globally and click Apply then Save
  • IT GUI, Switching\Multicast\IGMP Snooping\Interface Configuration: Select all interfaces and all LAGs, and configure Disable in Admin mode, click Apply and Save (you have configured IGMP for the VLANs already, so the interface config is conflicting with the VLAN config)

Can you report back, what is the frequency of the LAG going down and the switch becoming unresponsive?

Message 5 of 9
Neoower
Aspirant

Done!

It usually stays up for about a day or two. Looking at the logs on my cisco switch, I power cycled the netgear switch around 10 AM on the 21st and the switch locked up around 5AM on the 22nd.

Thank you!

Message 6 of 9
LaurentMa
NETGEAR Expert

OK thank you, let's see with the ISDP disabled and the IGMP removed from the interfaces - knowing you have disabled Auto-Trunk too, previously.

We have run the analysis on the crash logs and we can see lots of SSL key errors (hash), so it might mean that the firmware got corrupted. The next step will be to clear the config (we will do a backup first) and reflash the switch with fresh firmware. Then reload your config. But I am curious to see how it is going to perform now with the ISDP disabled! Please report back here in the meantime.

Message 7 of 9
Neoower
Aspirant

The switch went offline 10/24 @ 8:58 PM

Let me know the steps to do the firmware re-image. I will not be back on site where the switch is until Monday to perform that step.

Message 8 of 9
LaurentMa
NETGEAR Expert

I am sorry, yes we need to reflash the switch with you. One of the ProAV Design System Engineers is going to email you and schedule the online Teams or Zoom meeting for this Monday at a convenient time when you're back there.

Regards,

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements