Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi RBR850 crashes with large downloads

jparrish
Tutor

Re: Orbi RBR850 crashes with large downloads

I have the same issues as stated.

For big game downloads on steam, battle.net, etc, my router goes purple and crashes.  I just loaded up the newest Firmware.

I have an Orbi RBS750 (Costco version I believe) with 2 satellites running Firmware Version V4.6.5.14_2.0.54.

I have throttled to no avail, I've tried messing with advanced settings as well.  

Any fixes discovered in the last 2-3 months?

Thanks

Message 51 of 93
FURRYe38
Guru

Did you factory reset the RBR and setup from scratch after loading new FW? 

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

What configuration are you using when downloading games? Wired or wireless? Game console or PC? 

@jparrish wrote:

I have the same issues as stated.

For big game downloads on steam, battle.net, etc, my router goes purple and crashes.  I just loaded up the newest Firmware.

I have an Orbi RBS750 (Costco version I believe) with 2 satellites running Firmware Version V4.6.5.14_2.0.54.

I have throttled to no avail, I've tried messing with advanced settings as well.  

Any fixes discovered in the last 2-3 months?

Thanks

Message 52 of 93
jimhayes
Aspirant

my solution was to get rid of Orbi 850 platform and move back to Eero 6 Pro's - much better experince, wifi performance was much higher (not expected) and the IOS app is rock solid.

Message 53 of 93
jimhayes
Aspirant

Factory resets don't work, updating the same firmware does not help.

Message 54 of 93
dwax
Guide

I gave up on Netgear as the router.  I use the ORBI for Wifi6 mesh but i ended up using a different router.  I had no time for the minimal support 

Message 55 of 93
jparrish
Tutor

Yes.  I did a factory reset and reloaded firmware.

I am on Fiber on a CAT6 cable straight into my house from the road which goes straight into my RBR.  There's no modem.

It is a wired connection from the RBR.  When I bypass the RBR with the singular fiber line, I have no issues.

This is all on PC.

Message 56 of 93
FURRYe38
Guru

How large are your downloads? 

What game serivces and games are you downloading?

I would contact NG support or a forum Moderator and let them know about what your seeing. Seems that this is still on going for some of you. 

I have not seen this with my RBR850. 

If you have a 2nd hand router by chance you can put this online and put the Orbi system in AP mode while we wait for NG to get this fixed.

@Blanca_O @DarrenM @ChristineT 

@jparrish wrote:

Yes.  I did a factory reset and reloaded firmware.

I am on Fiber on a CAT6 cable straight into my house from the road which goes straight into my RBR.  There's no modem.

It is a wired connection from the RBR.  When I bypass the RBR with the singular fiber line, I have no issues.

This is all on PC.

Message 57 of 93
SQUIDWARD360
Guide

My fix was to put the Orbi in a box and buy an ASUS mesh system. I downloaded the new Call of Duty on battle net yesterday and not only was it flawless but 40% faster.

The factory reset needs to stop being recommended. I have not seen one person say, "wow, taking that hour to factory reset everything and run through the setup fixed it!"
Message 58 of 93
jimhayes
Aspirant

I worked with Netgear support and their recommendation every time was to factory reset and reflash the same firmware.

I also started to see loss of Wi-Fi every 24 hours, on the dot.

I really wanted to continue to use the Orbi product, invested $800++

Purchased 3 node Eero pro 6 and it works better then expected, WiFi speeds are even higher. 

Eero app is much cleaner

the only thing the Orbi had over the Eero was distance 

Message 59 of 93
jimhayes
Aspirant

And i am looking to sell 3 RBR850's if anyone is interested 

Message 60 of 93
edwinchen
Aspirant

I have a 750 with the exact same issue. Internet would get disconnected as soon as I download applications on Adobe Creative Cloud. Anyone with any reasonable fix right now? Did the usual factory resets etc, nothing helps to avoid the issue from happening again. I can replicate the issue straightaway just by trying to install any app. 

Message 61 of 93
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

What brand and mfr PC are you using when you download programs? 

What is the brand and model # of the ethernet adapter or wifi adapter in the PC? 

@edwinchen wrote:

I have a 750 with the exact same issue. Internet would get disconnected as soon as I download applications on Adobe Creative Cloud. Anyone with any reasonable fix right now? Did the usual factory resets etc, nothing helps to avoid the issue from happening again. I can replicate the issue straightaway just by trying to install any app. 

Message 62 of 93
merouleau
Initiate

I also found my way here via the Creative Cloud route.

I have an RBR850 with three satellites that operated without incident for months until I subscribed to the Adobe suite of apps. Now whenever I allow the Creative Cloud app to perform substantial updates, the Orbi RBR850 crashes within a minute. I can get the updates to complete by repeatedly power-cycling the RBR850. Once the updates are done, the Orbi resumes trouble-free operation.

This has happened a dozen times in the past couple of months and is easy to reproduce - uninstall a big CC app, initiate the reinstallation, and await the crash. I can watch it in real time by monitoring a ping to 8.8.8.8. From steady 9 ms round trips it moves suddenly to 15000+ ms - at that point the Orbi is done and will not allow login or pass meaningful Internet traffic without a power cycle.

Little apps like the CC Desktop and Camera Raw won't trigger the crash, but Photoshop, Illustrator, Premier Pro, and the like all require a mid-update Orbi reboot to complete.

My connection is 1Gbps symmetric (Ziply Fiber).

This is not a problem within Windows or the Creative Cloud app - nothing happening there should cause the router to crash.

I suspect that it's a regression dating to firmware released this summer. I doubt I would have missed this issue when I installed the Orbi system a year ago. Creative Cloud is just the source of the most sustained full speed downloading I have done in the past few months.

Like @dwax, I'm going to get a separate router and use the RBR850 system in AP-only mode - it's a lot of gear to write off completely, and dwax's experience confirms that the bug is in the routing code.

Gotta say, I'm disappointed in my Orbi experience and will recommend against Netgear products to friends and family going forward.

Message 63 of 93
FURRYe38
Guru

Soemthing to definately contact NG support and let them know what your experiencing. This needs to be fixed by NG for those seeing this problem. 

@Blanca_O 

@merouleau wrote:

I also found my way here via the Creative Cloud route.

I have an RBR850 with three satellites that operated without incident for months until I subscribed to the Adobe suite of apps. Now whenever I allow the Creative Cloud app to perform substantial updates, the Orbi RBR850 crashes within a minute. I can get the updates to complete by repeatedly power-cycling the RBR850. Once the updates are done, the Orbi resumes trouble-free operation.

This has happened a dozen times in the past couple of months and is easy to reproduce - uninstall a big CC app, initiate the reinstallation, and await the crash. I can watch it in real time by monitoring a ping to 8.8.8.8. From steady 9 ms round trips it moves suddenly to 15000+ ms - at that point the Orbi is done and will not allow login or pass meaningful Internet traffic without a power cycle.

Little apps like the CC Desktop and Camera Raw won't trigger the crash, but Photoshop, Illustrator, Premier Pro, and the like all require a mid-update Orbi reboot to complete.

My connection is 1Gbps symmetric (Ziply Fiber).

This is not a problem within Windows or the Creative Cloud app - nothing happening there should cause the router to crash.

I suspect that it's a regression dating to firmware released this summer. I doubt I would have missed this issue when I installed the Orbi system a year ago. Creative Cloud is just the source of the most sustained full speed downloading I have done in the past few months.

Like @dwax, I'm going to get a separate router and use the RBR850 system in AP-only mode - it's a lot of gear to write off completely, and dwax's experience confirms that the bug is in the routing code.

Gotta say, I'm disappointed in my Orbi experience and will recommend against Netgear products to friends and family going forward.

Message 64 of 93
Ptown2002
Aspirant

@merouleau @FURRYe38 

Has there been resolution on this?  I'm experiencing the exact same issues with my RBK753S.

Message 65 of 93
FURRYe38
Guru

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last update?

@Blanca_O 

@Ptown2002 wrote:

Has there been resolution on this?  I'm experiencing the exact same issues with my RBK753S.

Message 66 of 93
merouleau
Initiate

@Ptown2002 wrote:

@merouleau @FURRYe38 

@dwax wrote:

I ended up giving up and bought a TPLink er605

Much better security.

Still had massive issues getting satelites paired in AP mode. I read all the forum posting on pairing in AP mode and eventually gave up with that, but got the satellites to work by just assigning static IPs to RBR and all RBSs and the disabling DHCP on RBR

I bought a MikroTik RB5900UG+S+IN. It's a pro-caliber product that's inexpensive (~$200) for what it can do. If you don't need full gigabit throughput on all ports, they have less expensive options (~$60) with the same robust software. 

Like @dwax 's, my conversion to AP mode was difficult - after the change, the RBS850s would not sync to the RBR850. I tried many things - the key was to factory reset the Orbi units - even the dreaded V4.6.3.16_2.0.51 will work if it's a vanilla fresh install. Based on my experience, here's a sequence worth trying:

1. Install the new router at 192.168.88.1 (MikroTik default) with static DHCP leases for the RBR/RBS units:
    • RBR850: 192.168.88.2
    • RBS850 #1: 192.168.88.3
    • RBS850 #2: 192.168.88.4
    • RBS850 #3: 192.168.88.5
  2. Reset the RBR/RBS units: 
    • pull power cord
    • depress recessed reset button with paper clip
    • insert power cord
    • await green power light
    • release reset button
    • confirm amber front light
  3. Connect via WiFi to the default network as listed on the bottom of the RBR unit.
  4. In a browser, navigate to 192.168.1.1:
    • ensure that the RBS units sync up with the RBR unit 
    • update the wireless settings to match what you had previously
    • convert to AP mode
    • while RBR unit is rebooting, connect its Internet port to a LAN port on the new router
  5. In a browser, navigate to 192.168.88.2, log in, and confirm that the RBS units continue to be in sync.
  6. Validate that wireless devices on the network are functioning well.
Message 67 of 93
FURRYe38
Guru

Thanks for letting us know and the great details. 

@merouleau wrote:

I bought a MikroTik RB5900UG+S+IN. It's a pro-caliber product that's inexpensive (~$200) for what it can do. If you don't need full gigabit throughput on all ports, they have less expensive options (~$60) with the same robust software. 

Like @dwax 's, my conversion to AP mode was difficult - after the change, the RBS850s would not sync to the RBR850. I tried many things - the key was to factory reset the Orbi units - even the dreaded V4.6.3.16_2.0.51 will work if it's a vanilla fresh install. Based on my experience, here's a sequence worth trying:

1. Install the new router at 192.168.88.1 (MikroTik default) with static DHCP leases for the RBR/RBS units:
    • RBR850: 192.168.88.2
    • RBS850 #1: 192.168.88.3
    • RBS850 #2: 192.168.88.4
    • RBS850 #3: 192.168.88.5
  2. Reset the RBR/RBS units: 
    • pull power cord
    • depress recessed reset button with paper clip
    • insert power cord
    • await green power light
    • release reset button
    • confirm amber front light
  3. Connect via WiFi to the default network as listed on the bottom of the RBR unit.
  4. In a browser, navigate to 192.168.1.1:
    • ensure that the RBS units sync up with the RBR unit 
    • update the wireless settings to match what you had previously
    • convert to AP mode
    • while RBR unit is rebooting, connect its Internet port to a LAN port on the new router
  5. In a browser, navigate to 192.168.88.2, log in, and confirm that the RBS units continue to be in sync.
  6. Validate that wireless devices on the network are functioning well.

Message 68 of 93
FieryAvenger
Aspirant

I had this exact same issue with the RBR750 after a specific firmware update rolled out a few months ago.  I would lose connectivity after large downloads.  Nothing recommended by Netgear or the community would solve this problem.  After putting up with the issue for a couple months, i decided to try downloading large files on my wife's computer, and to my surprise, the connectivity issues weren't happening.  Luckily, our computers are practically identical, with the exception of the built-in ethernet.  Her M/B has an Intel 1Gbps, while mine has both a 1Gbps and 2.5Gbps.  I was using the 2.5Gbps LAN, so after i switched to the 1Gbps, the issues stopped.  It's been a month without issue, so i can confidently say, at least for me, the firmware introduced some compatibility issues with the 2.5Gbps LAN.

Message 69 of 93
FURRYe38
Guru

I would check the LAN adapter driver on your PC. The 7 series systems does not have any 2.5Gb LAN ports. Possible some incompatbility with your 2.5Gb LAN port adapter and the LAN ports on the RBR750. 

@FieryAvenger wrote:

I had this exact same issue with the RBR750 after a specific firmware update rolled out a few months ago.  I would lose connectivity after large downloads.  Nothing recommended by Netgear or the community would solve this problem.  After putting up with the issue for a couple months, i decided to try downloading large files on my wife's computer, and to my surprise, the connectivity issues weren't happening.  Luckily, our computers are practically identical, with the exception of the built-in ethernet.  Her M/B has an Intel 1Gbps, while mine has both a 1Gbps and 2.5Gbps.  I was using the 2.5Gbps LAN, so after i switched to the 1Gbps, the issues stopped.  It's been a month without issue, so i can confidently say, at least for me, the firmware introduced some compatibility issues with the 2.5Gbps LAN.

Message 70 of 93
FURRYe38
Guru

Wanna try this?

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Orbi-RBK852-4-6-3-16-broken-Solved/m-p/2174967/highlight/true#...

@dwax wrote:

My kids and thier gaming require large downloads from battle.net and Epic games. These downloads are often greater than 100GB.

When they start to download the router RBR850 loses its connection to the internt.  This will occur at 5GHz, 2.4Gz or wired.

I have COX internet with Gigablast

When this occurs I can be logged into the CM1200 cable modem and see that it does not lose any internet conenction.  My internet connection with COX is working fine.

Any ideas on what might be going on?

Message 71 of 93
jimhayes
Aspirant

The router has issues, and i was not able to correct with tech support. They wanted me to update the same ROM version and reset all settings but that does not work.

i hated to waste the $$ of the 3 node system that i purchased, ~$900 however i went back to Eero Pro 6 with 4 nodes, and i am getting the reliability and thruput 

with my Orbi and my ipad next to the router i was never able to get more then 400mbs /sec, and my imac was not able to get more then 500mbs/sec

with the eero pro 6 in the same spot

i just ran speed test and my ipad resulted in 658mb/sec and my imac 868mb/sec

also, the eero ios app is way better

the Orbi did have better distance range outside..

Message 72 of 93
FURRYe38
Guru

I'll be testing this FW version out myself on my 8 series. 

Currently downloading a 100Gb BattleField 2042 free weekend game...

I see CoD Vanguard is free for the weekend as well. Will try this too. 

Message 73 of 93
FURRYe38
Guru

So both BattleField 2042 and CoD Vanguard downloaded with out crashing my 850. 850 is connected to my CAX80 multi-gig port which the CAX80 is in modem only mode. 

850 still up and running currently. 

Wondering if there maybe a multi-gig port issue on the 850 or something else happening that I'm not seeing...

Message 74 of 93
FURRYe38
Guru

@dwax and anyone else effected by this:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-WiFi-6-AX-and-WiFi-6E-AXE/New-RBR850-RBS850-Firmware-Version-v...

Please try and let us know your findings...

Message 75 of 93
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 92 replies
  • 8 kudos
  • 13 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7