× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

After update to 6.6.0, can't access anything on Admin page

Griff_EWP
Aspirant

After update to 6.6.0, can't access anything on Admin page

After updating my ReadyNAS 2100 from firmware 6.5.1 to 6.6.0 this morning, I can no loger access anything on the admin page. IF I can get the admin page to load after login, the page is blank. If I click a tab (Shares for example), it will try to load the page for a couple of minutes then try to reconnect to the admin page (Connecting to the ReadyNAS Admin Page...). Nothing ever comes up. I have tried Firefox and IE11. I have rebooted the NAS via the admin page (which I can still do and seems to be the only thing that works after the upgrade) and cycled the power as well. Nothing seems to help. I can connect to each of the networks shares on the NAS via Windows Explorer so I know something is working properly. Everything was working fine before the update. Anyone else have this issue or a possible solution?

I have 4 more ReadyNAS devices deployed accross my network at remote sites and this makes me very hesitant to update to 6.6.0 on any of those devices.

Model: ReadyNASRNRX4420v2|ReadyNAS 2100
Message 1 of 58

Accepted Solutions
Griff_EWP
Aspirant

Re: After update to 6.6.0, can't access anything on Admin page

Hi guys, just an update here. The issue I had after the 6.6.0 update turned out to be a permissions issue with the ReadyNAS users. Apparently there were some orphaned accounts (ui's as the tech called them) created by the ReadyNAS OS (which I still don't understand how), but 2 1/2 hours with support fixed the issue. Just as a side note, I had the exact same issue on the same device when I did the update to 6.5.1 some time back. Again, support fixed that issue as well, so I'm still confused as to how this could happen again when no changes have been made since the last firmware update. Wish I could give a little more info on this, but the technician closed the chat log before I got a chance to copy it for my records. Thanks to all who posted replys to this thread.

View solution in original post

Message 10 of 58

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

Do you have any apps installed?

Is ssh enabled?

Message 2 of 58
Griff_EWP
Aspirant

No and no.

As I stated, everything was fine until the 6.6.0 update this morning. I can still access the network shares via Windows Explorer, it's just the Admin page that won't work. IF I can get past the splash screen, everything is blank. For the most part it just sits at the splash screen for 4 -5 minutes then tries to reconnect to the admin page. Once it starts that, all I can do is a power cycle to get past it. Only then will it allow me to the actual admin screen, but nothing can be done once there (except reboot). If I try to access another section of the admin page, it will just spin until it times out. At that point if will try to reconnect to the admin page again. Once finished with that, it displays the splash screen until it tries to reconnect to the splash screen again. It's like an indefinite loop....splash screen, reconnect, splash screen, reconnect...

Message 3 of 58
StephenB
Guru

There are three basic causes for the behavior you are getting:

-Some corruption in the OS partition

-a filling OS partition

-a process running on the NAS that is hogging the CPU

the Web UI runs at a lower priority than SMB access (which is why the third option generally affects the Web UI most).

I'd suggest Netgear support on this (without ssh there's not a lot of options).  If you are the original purchaser, and bought the NAS between 1 June 2014 and 31 May 2016 then you have lifetime chat support.

Message 4 of 58
guifort
Aspirant

Re : After update to 6.6.0, can't access anything on Admin page

Hello,

Not a solution for your problem but I get the same issue on RN202 upgraded to 6.6.0.

I access to the webinterface with HTTPS I can access to the dashboard but the webinterface stop few second after.

I have SSH enable but I didn't find usefull information in the logs.

Model: RN202|ReadyNAS 202
Message 5 of 58
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Download the logs using RAIDar 6.1 and then send them in (see the Sending Logs link in my sig) please.

Message 6 of 58
Naplava
Aspirant

Hi,

Have the same problem. Sending logs. Thanks for you help.

Pavel N.

Message 7 of 58
THE_BLOB
Aspirant

I have the same problem on RN104 16TB,  I cannot access admin page after 6.6.0.

I have read that taking out drives and lableing them then rebboting with another scratch drive and doing afactory reset may solve the problem but I think if the drives were put back in wouldn't they just revert back to the operating system that is on them. I am not sure if it would wipe all the disks and reformat. I also do not have SSH turned on, although I can access the shares.

Any one any ideas?

Thanks

Model: RN10421D|ReadyNAS 100 Series 4- Bay
Message 8 of 58
StephenB
Guru

@THE_BLOB wrote:

I have the same problem on RN104 16TB,  I cannot access admin page after 6.6.0.

What firmware were you running before the update?

Message 9 of 58
Griff_EWP
Aspirant

Hi guys, just an update here. The issue I had after the 6.6.0 update turned out to be a permissions issue with the ReadyNAS users. Apparently there were some orphaned accounts (ui's as the tech called them) created by the ReadyNAS OS (which I still don't understand how), but 2 1/2 hours with support fixed the issue. Just as a side note, I had the exact same issue on the same device when I did the update to 6.5.1 some time back. Again, support fixed that issue as well, so I'm still confused as to how this could happen again when no changes have been made since the last firmware update. Wish I could give a little more info on this, but the technician closed the chat log before I got a chance to copy it for my records. Thanks to all who posted replys to this thread.

Message 10 of 58
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Naplava had a bad DNS setting.

Message 11 of 58
Naplava
Aspirant

Thank you for your help. I see Remote support in the RAIDar application is it correct? How to close the support session? Everything seems to be working now. Regards,

Pavel Naplava

Message 12 of 58
Skywalker
NETGEAR Expert

@Naplava wrote:

Thank you for your help. I see Remote support in the RAIDar application is it correct? How to close the support session? Everything seems to be working now. Regards,

You can disable it from the GUI -- System -> Settings -> Support, uncheck Secure Diagnostic Mode.

Message 13 of 58
Naplava
Aspirant

Thanks.

Pavel Naplava

Message 14 of 58
THE_BLOB
Aspirant

GUI visible but when I go to Manage it is not accessable after firmware update from 6.5.1 to 6.6.0.

Checked router, tried turning off firewall, tried shutting down still no access to admin settings web page.

Message 15 of 58
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Have you tried clearing your web browser cache, closing your web browser then reopening the web admin page?

Can you download your logs and send them in (see the Sending Logs link in my sig)?

Message 16 of 58
THE_BLOB
Aspirant

Thanks for reply

Tried clearing cache and restarting, unfortunately  I am unable to access to admin page to allow me to send logs

Message 17 of 58
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Can you download them using RAIDar 6.1 and then send them in?

Message 18 of 58
Naplava
Aspirant

What you mean? Download Logs? Send them where? To cimmunity? Do not understand what you mean.

P. Náplava

Message 19 of 58
StephenB
Guru

1) Download and Install RAIDar 6.1 from here: http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/20684/~/readynas-downloads#raidar

2) Then use RAIDar to download the ReadyNAS logs.

3) Send them to the email address here: http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/21543/~/how-do-i-send-all-logs-to-readynas-community-m...  

put "attn: mdgm" in the email subject line, and put in a link to this thread in body of the email.

Message 20 of 58
Naplava
Aspirant

OK. Understand. Just sent them,

P. Naplava

Message 21 of 58
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Naplava, there were no logs attached to your email. Anyway I was asking for logs from a user who posted who was still having issues.

Message 22 of 58
rstribrn
Aspirant

1.) I have same/similar problem. Just after upgrade to 6.6.0 + manually performed "apt-get upgrade" using SSH.

=> After that I've noticed that admin page is not accessible. Since I've got some experience with linux, here is how I solved the problem.

Some details first:

root@nas-ag1:~# cat /etc/*release
PRETTY_NAME="ReadyNASOS 6.6.0"
NAME="Debian GNU/Linux"
VERSION_ID="8"
VERSION="8 (jessie)"
ID=debian
HOME_URL="http://www.debian.org/"
SUPPORT_URL="http://www.debian.org/support"
BUG_REPORT_URL="https://bugs.debian.org/"

root@nas-ag1:~# uname -a
Linux nas-ag1 4.1.30.alpine.1 #1 SMP Thu Sep 22 16:34:49 PDT 2016 armv7l GNU/Linux

2.) My problem was that Apache2 wasn't running

root@nas-ag1:~# systemctl start apache2
Job for apache2.service failed because the control process exited with error code.
See "systemctl status apache2.service" and "journalctl -xe" for details.

root@nas-ag1:~# systemctl status apache2.service
● apache2.service - The Apache HTTP Server
Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/apache2.service; enabled; vendor preset: enabled)
Active: failed (Result: exit-code) since Sat 2016-10-15 11:26:38 CEST; 27s ago
Process: 7320 ExecStart=/usr/sbin/apache2 $OPTIONS -k start (code=exited, status=203/EXEC)
Process: 7244 ExecStartPre=/frontview/bin/fvapps (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
Main PID: 2300 (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)

Oct 15 11:26:38 nas-ag1 systemd[1]: Starting The Apache HTTP Server...
Oct 15 11:26:38 nas-ag1 systemd[7320]: apache2.service: Failed at step EXEC spawning /usr/sbin/apache2: No such file or dire
ctory
Oct 15 11:26:38 nas-ag1 systemd[1]: apache2.service: Control process exited, code=exited status=203
Oct 15 11:26:38 nas-ag1 systemd[1]: Failed to start The Apache HTTP Server.
Oct 15 11:26:38 nas-ag1 systemd[1]: apache2.service: Unit entered failed state.
Oct 15 11:26:38 nas-ag1 systemd[1]: apache2.service: Triggering OnFailure= dependencies.
Oct 15 11:26:38 nas-ag1 systemd[1]: apache2.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'.

root@nas-ag1:~# ls -lisa /usr/sbin/apache2
7360 0 lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 33 Sep 23 20:53 /usr/sbin/apache2 -> ../lib/apache2/mpm-worker/apache2

root@nas-ag1:~# ls -lisa /usr/lib/apache2/mpm-worker/
total 8
7326 4 drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 Sep 23 20:36 .
5908 4 drwxr-xr-x 5 root root 4096 Oct 15 11:14 ..

=> Therefore there was no file for Apache2 service to start, however, regardless proper APT package (apache2-mpm-worker) was installed.

root@nas-ag1:~# dpkg --list | grep apache2
ii apache2 2.2.31-0.netgear2 armel Apache HTTP Server metapackage
ii apache2-mpm-worker 2.2.31-0.netgear2 armel Apache HTTP Server - high speed threaded model
ii apache2-utils 2.4.10-10+deb8u7 armel Apache HTTP Server (utility programs for web servers)
ii apache2.2-bin 2.2.31-0.netgear2 armel Apache HTTP Server common binary files
ii apache2.2-common 2.2.31-0.netgear2 armel Apache HTTP Server common files
ii libapache2-mod-auth-token 1.0.6 armel mod_auth_token is a famous apache module that allows you to
rc libapache2-mod-authnz-external 3.2.6-1.netgear1 armel authenticate Apache against external authentication services
ii libapache2-mod-authz-unixgroup 1.0.3-1.netgear2 armel access control based on on unix group membership for Apache

3.) I tried re-installing both apache2 and apache2-mpm-worker.

Same result.

It's also interesting, that there is apache2 binary for prefork apache alternative (regardless the prefork is not installed)

root@nas-ag1:/usr/lib/apache2/mpm-prefork# ls -lisa /usr/lib/apache2/mpm-prefork
total 372
5909 4 drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 Oct 15 10:30 .
5908 4 drwxr-xr-x 5 root root 4096 Oct 15 11:14 ..
7230 364 -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 368828 Sep 23 20:54 apache2

4.) Anyway, the missing file should come from APT package apache2.2-bin:

dpkg -S /usr/lib/apache2/mpm-worker/apache2
apache2.2-bin: /usr/lib/apache2/mpm-worker/apache2

5.) So I tried reinstalling the problematic package:

apt-get install aptitude

aptitude reinstall apache2.2-bin

6.) And missing file recovered...:

root@nas-ag1:/usr/lib/apache2/mpm-worker# ls -lisa /usr/lib/apache2/mpm-worker/apache2
7739 376 -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 381184 Sep 23 20:54 /usr/lib/apache2/mpm-worker/apache2

7.) After that, it had to fix problem with uninstalled  libapache2-mod-authnz-external.

apt-get install apache2=2.2.31-0.netgear2

apt-get install apache2-utils=2.2.31-0.netgear2

apt-get install libapache2-mod-authnz-external

systemctl start apache2

systemctl status apache2

apache2.service - The Apache HTTP Server

Active: active (running) since Sat 2016-10-15 11:40:54 CEST; 13s ago

####################################################################################################

=> Maybe this helps someone (with SSH access). However, you may have different situation. Good luck!

####################################################################################################

BTW: Here is my current packages list (= I have nothing special):

root@nas-ag1:/usr/lib/apache2/mpm-worker# apt --installed list | grep -v 6.6.0 | grep -v stable

WARNING: apt does not have a stable CLI interface yet. Use with caution in scripts.

Listing...
libboost-iostreams1.49.0/now 1.49.0-3.2 armel [installed,local]
libdb5.1/now 5.1.29-5 armel [installed,local]
libexiv2-12/now 0.23-1 armel [installed,local]
libgcrypt11/now 1.5.0-5+deb7u3 armel [installed,local]
libgnutls26/now 2.12.23-13 armel [installed,local]
libnl1/now 1.1-7 armel [installed,local]
libnml/now 197 armel [installed,local]
librddclient/now 5903 armel [installed,local]
librnimage1/now 1.0.1 armel [installed,local]
plexmediaserver-ros6-binaries/now 0.9.15.2.1663-7efd046 armel [installed,local]
rdbroker/now 1.2.63+2.678122a armel [installed,local]
readysync/now 1.2.63+2.678122a armel [installed,local]
rn-dictionary/now 20160926 all [installed,local]
wget/now 1.16-1.netgear1 armel [installed,local]

Message 23 of 58
StephenB
Guru

@rstribrn wrote:

...Just after upgrade to 6.6.0 + manually performed "apt-get upgrade" using SSH.

FWIW, Netgear definitely doesn't recommend this.

Message 24 of 58
rstribrn
Aspirant

I know. I read the warning when I enabled SSH access (just after I bought my RN204). Reason: Disabling (annoying) LED diode flickering.

I use Linux systems at work/home for more than a decade, so I can quite easily fix problems like this...

Anyway, good luck with this problem. Hopefully you'll find some easy user-friendly solution.

Rostislav Stříbrný

Message 25 of 58
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 57 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 14 in conversation
Announcements