× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

All my data was wiped at 00:00:01.. Have I been hacked?

Stig78
Aspirant

All my data was wiped at 00:00:01.. Have I been hacked?

Hi all. A few weeks back I noticed that my ReadyNAS RN104 was showing 99% capacity, which I knew was wrong.
I fired up RAIDar and sure enough, my box was empty.
Some time ago I had a HDD failure on the same unit which I wrote about in this topic, where one disc got redundant, and when putting in a new disk another failed at the exact same time, thus me loosing all my data.
I bought yet another HDD and everything has been fine up until this new problem; everything is gone without a trace.
My log tells me that my system restarted at 00:00:01 on october the 6th, and when I check the system log, I get a lot of activity around this time period, but I have no idea where to even start to look for clues about what has happened...

SMART says no errors as far as I can see, all 4 disks has 0 uncorrectable sector counts.

I am sorry to say that loosing my data 2 times in a fairly short amount of time has led me to loose all my trust in Netgear storage devices, so I have now bought myself a home server instead.
But I would very much like to figure out what happened! Was there a glitch in the matrix? OS crash? Have I been hacked (because it almost looks like it to me....)

So would anyone be willing to check a log file or three for me? And please tell me which one to share, because I have no clue where to start.

Thanks!

Model: RN104|ReadyNAS 100 Series 4- Bay
Message 1 of 4
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: All my data was wiped at 00:00:01.. Have I been hacked?

@Stig78

Really sorry to hear what happened. I think the filling of your volume capacity reaching 99% was the reason you had this issue.

When it becomes full or even at 80% cap reached performance degradation occurs. What possibly happened was the services started to have problems starting and got the volume offline. If you can send the full logs thru PM we might be able to check if there are other underlying issues but since volume is already offline the best option is to contact support for assistance. Note though that if they found other issues that concerns your drive Data recovery service might be asked from you to purchase.

HTH

Message 2 of 4
Stig78
Aspirant

I'm sorry, but I may have said that wrong.
I saw that my capacity was 99% FREE, thats why the alarms in my head went off.
After the two disks crashed I started to fill the NAS box again. I had about 10% on it when this new problem occured. Meaning, 90% free space.

Message 3 of 4
StephenB
Guru

I suggest taking @Marc_V up on his offer to review your logs.

Send a PM using the envelope icon in the upper right of the forum page.  Include a download link for your log zip (google drive, dropbox, etc) and a link to this thread.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements