× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Basic Use of ReadyNAS

brannodz
Aspirant

Basic Use of ReadyNAS

OK, got new Firmware (6.5), and have whole house hardwired. 

I orginally thought that I could use the ReadyNAS as the primary hard drive for storing family photos, videos, and docs.  I'm finding that I can backup and sync folders from numerous types of computers, MAC OS, Windows 10, etc.  No probablem accessessing remotely.  Here's the question.

Can I use the ReadyNAS as the primary drive and can edit, safe, backup between right on the ReadyNAS ?  All other computers have smaller hard drives, like 500GB whereas the readyans has nearly a free 3T.  I'm thinking the ReadyNAS could be used, but when i edit a word doc it doesn't save and tries to save locally.  If i have 1000GB of pictures, which clearly can't fit on one of the smaller computers to sync.  Thoughts on how to fix this or othe rsolutions?

Real basic, but thanks!!!

Model: RN20222D|ReadyNAS 202
Message 1 of 10
FramerV
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Basic Use of ReadyNAS

Hi brannodz,

It might be best if you map the ReadyNAS share first.

How do I map a network drive in Windows?

Once done, you can just use the "Save As" option on your MS Office program and locate the mapped drive.

You can also change the default location where your files will be saved.

Since you have different platforms that you are going to be working on I will the rest to you but here is a sample of what I am telling you:

How to Change the Default Save Location and Local Files Folder in Word 2013

Regards,

Message 2 of 10
brannodz
Aspirant

Framer, thanks for the thoughts.  I'll start with mapping then review your link.  Thanks again!

Message 3 of 10
Sandshark
Sensei

Unfortunately, there are still some programs around that will not show mapped drives in the open/save dialogs. Hopefully, you don't run into any.

If you do, using a symbolic link instead of drive mapping can be a solution.  From a Windows command prompt, type mklink /? for the help on symbolic links.

Also remember that putting all your eggs in one basket makes a failure all the more costly, so make sure you have a backup method in place.  A RAID device is a big step toward more reliability, but failures and physical loss can still occur.

Message 4 of 10
brannodz
Aspirant

Thanks for the insight here people.  Good follow-up via email also.  

I think my basic understnading was off.  So "mapping" the drive treats the ReadyNAS as a hard drive.  You can get read only access from the ready cloud APP.  I'll play around with it, but SandShark, I do have the RAID up i think but definatey will keep a USB backup offsite.

Dave

Model: RN10442D|ReadyNAS 100 Series 4- Bay
Message 5 of 10
JBDragon1
Virtuoso

Yes mapping the HDD will basically make it look like any HDD directly connected to your computer, with a assigned drive letter of your choosing.  So while Windows is on C:  Your NAS could be on R: like I have my NAS set to, or basically any letter you don't use.  Then you can also Name it whatever you want like like any other HDD.  You can read/write like anything else for most all programs. 

The only program I used that Mapping didn't work was when I was running SONARR on my Windows computer and having it accessing the NAS. 

Message 6 of 10
StephenB
Guru

@JBDragon1 wrote:

... The only program I used that Mapping didn't work was when I was running SONARR on my Windows computer and having it accessing the NAS. 

FWIW, SONARR does handle that now, my Win 10 desktop has SONARR installed, with my Pro data volume mapped to a drive letter.

Message 7 of 10
JBDragon1
Virtuoso

That's good to know that they took care of that minor problem.  Last time I ran it on Windows it didn't work.  Since I run it on my NAS, there's is no Mapping drive letters, so nothing changed for me.  That's nice to know if I ever switch back.

Message 8 of 10
Sandshark
Sensei

The recommended lettering of mapped drives (and what will be the default) is to start at Z and go down, since physical drives map from C upward.  That keeps the drive letters from conflicting till you have more than 26.  Windows has never properly handled the situation where there is a drive mapped to the next higher letter for physical drives when you plug in another USB device.  There will be a conflict, and the USB device will "win".

Message 9 of 10
JBDragon1
Virtuoso

That makes sense to start with Z.  I just kind of went with R for some reason in the past and have just stuck with it.  I have a lot of HDD and SSD's in my computer and still not close to reaching R.  Maybe I should have gone with Z instead, but I'm not going to change things now as it's not a issue, but it is a good sugestion.

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements