× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Best 2TB Replacement for a ReadyNAS NV+ (v1) with Warranty?

CDStoneley
Aspirant

Best 2TB Replacement for a ReadyNAS NV+ (v1) with Warranty?

Alright I know this is legacy kit, and EOL, and most of the 2TB drives on the HCL are EOL too... but I would like to replace my drives as they fail (one already has) with the best Warrantied 2TB drives available, and to continue to use my ReadyNAS NV+ until it's toast...

Has anyone found a source for any of the 64MB cache 2TB drives with a warranty intact? I have ordered 4 'NEW' drives from Amazon only to discover that they all had 16K hours on them, and that Seagate would NOT honor warranty, most were set to expire within a year. I see that the 5 year warranty had already been cut to 3 years anyway...

What are people replacing their drives with? Or are you all upgrading kit?
Message 1 of 4
StephenB
Guru

Re: Best 2TB Replacement for a ReadyNAS NV+ (v1) with Warran

I'm shocked that Amazon sent you used drives as new. Was this Amazon directly, or one of their partners? If you have documentation, you should complain and ask for a refund. I usually purchase drives from Amazon (direct not their partners) and have never seen anything like that.

I replaced a drive in my duo v1 a couple months ago. I went with a WD20EFRX (since I use WDC Red in my newer NAS). It works fine, and has a 3 year warranty. I don't recall seeing any posts from users going with an ST2000VN000, but it likely works as well.

If you are looking for the 5 year warranty, maybe try the WD2001FFSX (WDC Red Pro).

I'm using my NV+ v1 and duo v1 for backup, and they are still fast enough for that. The bigger problem is that they are maxed on capacity. I do plan to retire them as the drives fail, but I'm not in a rush. I might still replace a drive or two along the way, depending on budget.
Message 2 of 4
CDStoneley
Aspirant

It was an Amazon Marketplace Merchant, and I've started the return process. I was looking at the WD RED 2TB and RED PRO 2TB, just a little concerned they're not on the HCL (but also understanding the HCL is woefully out of date, understandably so).

At this point, at least $400 for new drives (all of my current drives are out of warranty and starting to look like they are failing) I wonder if it's time to upgrade to a USB 3/Thunderbolt solution... and start moving data off.

I've had MORE than my money's worth out of the ReadyNAS NV+. It's been a workhorse... perhaps it's just time.
Message 3 of 4
StephenB
Guru

CDStoneley wrote:
...At this point, at least $400 for new drives...
Yeah, I hear you.

Even an entry level RN104 is 2x-3x faster than the NV+, and for $600 you can get one with new 3x3 TB drives - same capacity and an empty slot for expansion). Or go with a SAN device like you are thinking.

I am thinking that if drives fail one by one I'll decommission the duo first, and migrate those drives into the NV+. Perhaps later on, reset as jbod with the drives that remain.

As you say, its been a workhorse. But I'm not planning to invest a lot of money in a v1 NAS at this point in its life.
Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements