× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

CPU temperature below ambient temperature Case# 21233008

vandermerwe
Master

CPU temperature below ambient temperature Case# 21233008

I received an RMA Pro Business edition to replace my Ultra 6 plus.
I have noticed that the CPU temperature runs about 8 celcius below the ambient temperature.
It is currently reading 11 celcius and the temperature of the room is 19.
This seems to be impossible as there is no active cooling nor is there any process like evaporation that would allow this temperature to fall below ambient.
Does anyone else see this?

I am running 4.2.23
Message 1 of 24
vandermerwe
Master

Re: CPU temperature below ambient temperature Case# 21233008

Received a reply from netgear support asking me to monitor the unit.
Does anyone see temps as low as this? I am concerned that the fan control may not work properly if it's based on incorrect temperatures.
Message 2 of 24
vandermerwe
Master

I found this thread which seems to suggest that others, including mdgm have experienced very low CPU temperature readings without being too concerned. Seems to be a problem with the calibration.
viewtopic.php?f=51&t=55502&hilit=CPU+temperature
viewtopic.php?f=51&t=45849&p=261338&hilit=CPU+temperature#p261338
Message 3 of 24
chirpa
Luminary

I wouldn't rely on those values too much. The diode/chip creator also says it has a +/- of 10C.

The Ultra 6 (non-Plus, Atom based) will commonly read below 10C, not possible.
Message 4 of 24
vandermerwe
Master

Ok, thanks ,that's useful to know.
Message 5 of 24
vandermerwe
Master

Interestingly, after initially asking me to "monitor the Nas", they now want to know what firmware I'm running, whether my old Nas had similar temps and whether I'd cleared the browser cache.
Message 6 of 24
vandermerwe
Master

Support seem to think this is not normal.
I have sent in logs and they have asked me to do OS reinstall which has made no difference - the nas cpu is apparently 10.5 celcius in a room of 19 celcius.
I will refer them to this thread and see what they say.
Message 7 of 24
vandermerwe
Master

Now support want to telnet into my NAS. Seems a bit over the top if you ask me.
Now I need to remove all disks, initialise blank disk, then put the NAS into tech support mode.
I'll post outcome.
Message 8 of 24
vandermerwe
Master

Instructions from netgear for tech support mode setup are not that clear:
Told me to port forward but forums suggest this is not necessary with 4.2.23.
Told me to give LAN ip, but unit ip changes to 192.168.168.168 as soon as it enters telnet mode.
I do not use dhcp on my network. The display says 0.0.0.0. Anyone know if I need to set up dhcp to get the Nas to get an ip?
Did not ask me to give telnet number, I've given it anyway.
Message 9 of 24
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Yes DHCP is needed for the NAS to get an I.P. in tech support mode (put the NAS back into tech support mode after doing this).

Since maybe 4.2.9(?) port forwarding is no longer needed. It is only needed if the secure tunnel back to NetGear doesn't work for some reason.
Message 10 of 24
vandermerwe
Master

Thanks, done.
Message 11 of 24
vandermerwe
Master

Just phoned Netgear to find out why it's taking so long. Readynas has been in telnet for 5 days, confirmed access from netgear for 52 hours. Person I spoke said they would email level 3 and get back to me possibly within 24 hours.
I accept they might have a high workload but some idea of the time they'll start in the box would be helpful - even the day would be good.
I'm disappointed, is this normal?
Message 12 of 24
vandermerwe
Master

Another 3 days of nothing and another phone call to Netgear.
Has not been seen by level 3, will now escalate to priority.
Message 13 of 24
Transalp
Aspirant

Temperature display is weird in the pro 6...... But seems to be normal according to Netgear support :-?

http://www.readynas.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=70545
Message 14 of 24
vandermerwe
Master

I'm sure that's what they are about to tell me, however if they already know this, why are they interested in looking into my readynas I wonder?
I also wonder what the point is of displaying a temperature in degrees if the measurement is so imprecise as chirpa suggested; it would be more appropriate to just display cool, warm, hot or ok/not ok.
Message 15 of 24
vandermerwe
Master

Eventually needed to contact by phone again. Level 2 told me he thought level 3 dîd not understand the question. The level 2 did understand the problem. Told me no one had accessed my NAS and I could take it out of telnet mode.
Said he would reescalate and try to make level 3 understand the question.

Pretty unimpressive support if you ask me.
Message 16 of 24
Transalp
Aspirant

Indeed impressive....

Sent from my smart phone using Tapatalk
Message 17 of 24
vandermerwe
Master

Nearly 2 weeks more, case is still open according to netgear support portal, I've heard absolutely nothing for 10 days.
My RMA unit now not only has an imprecise temperature sensor, but the chassis fan is starting to rattle again - which is the reason I received the RMA in the first place.

...and to think I am actually considering buying a 516.
Message 18 of 24
vandermerwe
Master

Without hesitation Netgear have suggested another RMA. I have suggested that as I need advance RMA that I do not pay this time as it is the RMA unit that has created a non-stop problem since I received it.
I am waiting to hear back.
Message 19 of 24
Transalp
Aspirant

Keep us posted 🙂

Message 20 of 24
siigna
NETGEAR Expert

Unfortunately I just can't push the RMA as shipping waived, we still have to put a credit card down for collateral. I've put a note in your case asking your local support team to go ahead and put the RMA through with shipping charges waived. If you want to jump the gun, just call in and reference your case number. If you run into any problems let me know with a post update.
Message 21 of 24
vandermerwe
Master

Ok
Thank you.
Message 22 of 24
vandermerwe
Master

Ok, hopefully to draw this to a conclusion, Netgear's RMA process is very good and I have another unit which has more appropriate temperature readings and no fan rattle yet. I must say that apart from not answering my questions about the temperature readings the support has been reassuringly efficient. I still feel this is one of the most important features of a NAS. The forum support is still far better than that found on qnap or synology forums, even without many posts from Netgear personnel. The warranty support has been pretty good too.
Message 23 of 24
Transalp
Aspirant

Great!

Message 24 of 24
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 23 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation