× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Can I configure 2x4TB on a ReadyNAS Ultra 2 or Duo V2?

QuakerWildcat
Aspirant

Can I configure 2x4TB on a ReadyNAS Ultra 2 or Duo V2?

Looking to buy an inexpensive 2-bay NAS for my home network. The ReadyNAS line gets great reviews but FWIW it's impossible to find a simple, clear place to compare all the models and price points.

I'm finding both the ReadyNAS Duo V2 and the ReadyNAS Ultra 2 at sub-$200 prices, which is my sweet spot. My two questions are:

1) Can either of these models support two 4TB drives?

2) If yes, is the Ultra 2 the better performer, and if so is there any reason to consider the other model?
Message 1 of 7
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Can I configure 2x4TB on a ReadyNAS Ultra 2 or Duo V2?

1) I think so. Though NetGear strongly recommend sticking to the compatibility list

2) the Ultra 2 is the better performer and has an Intel CPU. The Duo v2 has a nice looking new UI but I'd only consider it if the Ultra 2 is too expensive for you. The Ultra 2 is a great choice.
Message 2 of 7
QuakerWildcat
Aspirant

Thanks, I think. Sounds like the Ultra 2 is the better NAS, and I'm seeing it for $195 shipped which seems like good deal. I have the 4TB drives already. Just don't want to waste my time and money on a NAS that can't run 'em. I'm not that technically savvy!
Message 3 of 7
xlr8r
Guide

QuakerWildcat wrote:
Thanks, I think. Sounds like the Ultra 2 is the better NAS, and I'm seeing it for $195 shipped which seems like good deal. I have the 4TB drives already. Just don't want to waste my time and money on a NAS that can't run 'em. I'm not that technically savvy!

hi

can i ask what 4TB drives you used ? was it the Hitachi 7k 4000 HUS724040ALE640 4TB 6Gb/s 64 MB ?

im in a similar predicament , just the other way around, i have the NAS , just got the disks yet ...

cheers
Message 4 of 7
QuakerWildcat
Aspirant

I used two 4TB drives I pulled out of a couple of Seagate Backup Plus drive enclosures. It's worked flawlessly for 6 months now.
Message 5 of 7
xlr8r
Guide

QuakerWildcat wrote:
I used two 4TB drives I pulled out of a couple of Seagate Backup Plus drive enclosures. It's worked flawlessly for 6 months now.

nice, can u give me an exact model of the drives so i know what to buy ? cheers
Message 6 of 7
QuakerWildcat
Aspirant

The items I bought were the Seagate Backup Plus 4TB Desktop Hard Drive STCA4000100. The drives inside those units were the Seagate Barracuda 5900rpm ST4000DM000.

For what its worth it appears that the bare drives are still selling for more than these Backup Plus units that contain the drives. Remarkably, I also sold the empty Backup Plus enclosures on eBay for $32 each.
Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements