× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Can't log on from network-attached Windows devices

PetGriffin
Aspirant

Can't log on from network-attached Windows devices

Hi

I just installed a ReadyNAS 104 and have upgraded to the latest firmware etc.  I have set up 5 user accounts for different family members.  Just now there are three computers on my home network

(a) laptop running WIn 7.  I type \\ReadyNAS in WIndows Explorer, Enter my user name and pword and everything is good to go

(b) tablet running Win 10.  I type \\ReadyNAS in Win Explorer (Files) and nothing happens - no log in screen, nada.  The tablet can see the NAS on the network but I can only log in via a web browser as admin

(c) desktop running Win 7.  I type \\ReadyNAS in Win Explorer and the log-in screen comes up.  However, Windoze adds DOMAIN\ in front of my user name and the pword is not accepted.

This is driving me nuts!  Any help gratefully accepted!!  Thanks!!!!

Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
PetGriffin
Aspirant

Re: Can't log on from network-attached Windows devices

OK, problem (finally) solved - I hope.  I  typed \\192.168.xx.yy in windows explorer and the user can now log on

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 6

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

The Domain\ shouldn't create a problem.  You can try nasname\username if you like, that will prevent windows from adding it.

try running cmd on the problem systems and enter

net use * /delete

net use z: \\readynas\data /user:admin adminpassword

where adminpassword is the admin password of the nas. If it works, that will mount the full data volume as drive "z".

If it does work, then look at the windows credential manager on the two systems. 

Note: if you are using a microsoft log on with the Windows 10 system, you will need to set up a windows credential.  That log on doesn't work with the NAS.  And Windows always presents it before it prompts you for a log on (unless you have a credential already stored).

Message 2 of 6
PetGriffin
Aspirant

Hi STephenB

Thanks!  After playing around on the Desktop, I have managed to connect to the NAS using Windows logon for two users but when i try the same thing for the third, I don't get asked for a WIndows logon.  This is weird!!  On the desktop, all accounts are admin accounts, none have passwords and the user name is the same as the user names I set up on the NAS. 

Re Win 10 credentials, presumably I have to add a credential for the NAS?

Message 3 of 6
StephenB
Guru

@PetGriffin wrote:

After playing around on the Desktop, I have managed to connect to the NAS using Windows logon for two users but when i try the same thing for the third, I don't get asked for a WIndows logon.  This is weird!!  On the desktop, all accounts are admin accounts, none have passwords and the user name is the same as the user names I set up on the NAS. 

The normal Windows behavior is to present the current user's credentials to the NAS.  If those are accepted, then it will not prompt, and you will get whatever access that username is entitled.  If guest access is enabled on the NAS, then the only time you'd get a password prompt is if the username matches the NAS, but the password for that user doesn't.

Is the PC name the same as a sharename (or a username) on the NAS?

Re Win 10 credentials, presumably I have to add a credential for the NAS?

I have a credential for my pro-6 (which has mapped drives mounted on my win-10 system).  But I can connect to other NAS that don't have one entered.  Guest access on those NAS is enabled.

Message 4 of 6
PetGriffin
Aspirant

Some progress with the Win 7 compter.  I changed the offending user name from "Ed" to "Edward" and I can now log-on from the desktop.  However, the Win 10 tablet is still causing grief.  The READYNAS device comes up on Windows Explorer but when I try to log in, I get this error message:

An unexpected error is keeping you from copying the file.  If you continue to receive this error you can use the error code to search for help with this problem.

Error 0x80004002: No such interface supported.

There is then a reference to https://192.168.0.102/admin which is the admin login for my ReadyNAS.  I have set up an entry in Windows Credentials to login to the ReadyNAS via the IP address using the user name and pword

Message 5 of 6
PetGriffin
Aspirant

OK, problem (finally) solved - I hope.  I  typed \\192.168.xx.yy in windows explorer and the user can now log on

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements