× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Can the Readynas UPS monitoring shut down a windows computer?

miogpsrocks
Tutor

Can the Readynas UPS monitoring shut down a windows computer?

Can the Readynas UPS monitoring shut down a windows computer? I purchased a very expensive SINWAVE UPS which I have my computer and Readynas connected to. All the readynas will monitor the readynas that is connected to the UPS via USB cable. I was wondering if there is anyway to get my windows computer to also monitor that readynas UPS server and shut down when the power goes out instead of draining the UPS dead. 

Thanks. 

Message 1 of 4
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Can the Readynas UPS monitoring shut down a windows computer?

Yes. See this article (Note this article was written for devices that ran RAIDiator-x86 firmware).

Message 2 of 4
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi @miogpsrocks

ReadyNAS UPS monitoring can send you alerts to your Email address when a Power failure has been detected or low battery detected. It can shutdown the ReadyNAS and other ReadyNAS system connected on the UPS.

The feature you would like to have might not be possible without the help of an App that would come with your UPS. You might want to check this, it shows how you can shutdown computers using UPS though this is APC and using APC Powerchute App. SINWAVE UPS might have the same utility.

Regards

Message 3 of 4
StephenB
Guru

@Marc_V wrote:

You might want to check this, it shows how you can shutdown computers using UPS though this is APC and using APC Powerchute App.

Unfortunately Powerchute won't allow you to monitor the UPS through the ReadyNAS (or allow the ReadyNAS to monitor the UPS through the PC).

You need to install the Network UPS tools on the PC, since that is what the ReadyNAS is using.  There is a windows version available, but it is considered beta.  http://networkupstools.org/download.html#_binary_packages

You also need to make sure the network path between the ReadyNAS and the PC is also protected.  If the PC and the NAS are connected to the same switch, you can get away with just protecting the switch (and not the upstream router).  The network monitoring is frequent enough that the switch will directly route the ethernet traffic w/o needing the upstream router.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements