× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Connecting ReadyNAS Ultra to remote NUT server

mountaindude
Tutor

Connecting ReadyNAS Ultra to remote NUT server

I am trying to get my 2-disk ReadyNAS Ultra (x86) to understand it should connect to a remote UPS NUT server.
The ReadyNAS can do this already, as long as there is another ReadyNAS it should connect to. But when the Network UPS Tools (http://www.networkupstools.org) server runs on just a plan Linux box, I cannot get the ReadyNAS to connect and get UPS status.

When logged into a shell on the NAS, I can use command line tools to connect to the NUT server, so that server is indeed working, no IP numbers blocked etc.

Question is: how to get the NAS' user interface to pick up the same information..

Any suggestions/solutions?
Message 1 of 9
StephenB
Guru

Re: Connecting ReadyNAS Ultra to remote NUT server

Did you try to connect to the NAS using user=monuser, password=pass ?
Message 2 of 9
mountaindude
Tutor

Well the UPS is connected to a small headless server, where the NUT server is also running.
I'd then like to get the ReadyNAS built-in software to connect as a client to that NUT server, but the only thing I can configure is the IP address by the check box named "Enable monitoring of UPS physically attached to a remote ReadyNAS" (on the Power tab of the System pane)

The reason for this setup is simply that the ReadyNAS NUT version is way old and doesn't recognise the UPS, whereas the latest version of NUT does recognise the UPS.
So, running NUT on the headless server works well, and the ReadyNAS (and some other devices) will then connect as clients to the NUT server.

So it's not connecting to the NAS that is the problem, but rather connecting FROM the NAS..
Message 3 of 9
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Well did you try setting that username and password as the credentials on the remote NUT server. The ReadyNAS probably automatically attempts to use those credentials to connect to the NUT server
Message 4 of 9
mountaindude
Tutor

Yup, that was the first thing I tried. No luck.
Message 5 of 9
StephenB
Guru

Maybe try moving the connection to the ultra, and making the headless server the client???
Message 6 of 9
mountaindude
Tutor

For example, when executing on the NAS:

/bin/upsc powerwalker@192.168.1.12

where 192.168.1.12 is the IP of the headless server where NUT server is running, I get the expected result:

battery.charge: 100
battery.voltage: 27.10
battery.voltage.high: 26.00
battery.voltage.low: 20.80
battery.voltage.nominal: 24.0
device.type: ups
driver.name: blazer_usb
driver.parameter.pollinterval: 2
driver.parameter.port: auto

So... the communication from NAS to NUT server is working.

The /usr/local/ups/etc/upsd.users file on the headless server contains:

[monuser]
password=pass
upsmon slave

I have restarted all the NUT related processes on the headless server, no change..
Message 7 of 9
mountaindude
Tutor

StephenB wrote:
Maybe try moving the connection to the ultra, and making the headless server the client???

Problem is that the NUT version that is loaded on the Ultra does not recognise the UPS I have*.
I tried a gentle upgrading of NUT on the Ultra, but it just broke the Ultra's UI-to-NUT integration.

* PowerWalker VI 1000 LCD, with USB connection.
Message 8 of 9
mountaindude
Tutor

Ok, some progress.

Kind of obvious... as usually is the case when you've looked at something for too long.
The UPS has to be named "UPS" and nothing else on the headless server.
Then the NAS picks it up, but still reports an error as NUT doesn't report back the variables that the NAS software expects (the UPS icon in the NAS UI blinks yellow, and says "UPS 1: Remote Error, Battery Charge: 100%".

Not quite there yet, but progress.
Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements