× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Differences in ReadyNas Pro's?

kllngtme
Aspirant

Differences in ReadyNas Pro's?

I've searched but haven't come across anything. Could someone tell me the differences between the ones below? I'm more or less just trying to find out what the most powerful readynas is completely overall without going to a rackmount system.

ReadyNAS Pro 6
ReadyNAS Pro Business Edition
ReadyNAS Pro Pioneer Edition
Message 1 of 8
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Differences in ReadyNas Pro's?

ReadyNAS Pro 6 (RNDP6000-200) aka RNDP6000v2 is the most powerful.

ReadyNAS Pro Business Edition (RNDP6000-100) and Pioneer Edition (RNDP600E-100) are the first generation product, the Pioneer being the home version with less features and a shorter warranty.

See also CPU Specs of the ReadyNAS
Message 2 of 8
kllngtme
Aspirant

Are there any plans of a new one that will be released anytime soon? I'm planning on buying one once tax returns come in. I thought I saw the Readynas Pro was multicore, I guess that's only the rackmount system... either way I suppose the dualcore will be fine, I want to run the ps3media server on it to stream/decode mkv's and such on the fly...
Message 3 of 8
StephenB
Guru

kllngtme wrote:
Are there any plans of a new one that will be released anytime soon? I'm planning on buying one once tax returns come in. I thought I saw the Readynas Pro was multicore, I guess that's only the rackmount system... either way I suppose the dualcore will be fine, I want to run the ps3media server on it to stream/decode mkv's and such on the fly...
The pro 6 is dual-core but is not rackmount.
Message 4 of 8
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

The rackmount systems are the 1500, 2100, 3200, 3100 and 4200. The Pro 6 is quicker than the 4-bay rackmount units. Also do note that the rackmount units are designed for performance, to run cool and for use e.g. in a server room or data centre. The rackmount units (but especially the 12-bay units) are not designed to keep noise down and the fans run constantly at high speed. So I wouldn't get a rackmount device for a small office.
Message 5 of 8
KillerBob
Aspirant

Hi,

Being the geek I am, I have to ask:

- I have the Pro Pioneer (1. gen), Intel E2160 Dual-core, 1.8Ghz CPU. The only one faster is the Pro6, Intel E5300 Dual-core, 2.6Ghz CPU?
- Is it possible to upgrade your CPU in the ReadyNAS Pro?

And as I suspect the answers are "Yes" and "No", that leads to the follow-up question;

- When is it the CPU which is the bottleneck in a NAS?

I can understand for trans-coding with the Plex add-on, that CPU power is an issue, but are there any other obvious uses in where the NAS is limited by the CPU?

Bo
Message 6 of 8
StephenB
Guru

Perhaps crashplan, though it is possibly a memory bottleneck. Large files have much slower upload speeds than smaller ones.
Message 7 of 8
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

There's a thread on upgrading the CPU: More on CPU specs of the ReadyNAS Pro

Not all CPUs work, so read through that thread and make sure you buy the right one. Please be aware that any attempt to upgrade the CPU will void your warranty which means NO MORE SUPPORT FROM NETGEAR.

If you have SSH access you can monitor the CPU usage using "top". Test out various things you do and see what CPU usage it leads to.
Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements