× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Disk failure

HiddenWolf
Aspirant

Disk failure

I have a Readynas Pro Business Edition, which until today ran with the three pre-installed hard-disks

One of them failed. I found out about it because I had to turn the machine off manually to move it.
The last time I looked at the machine was about a month ago. All was fine.

What bugs me is that the machine is set-up to run scrubbing and a consistency check every week and mail me the results.
Every week I get an email that all is well. But now a disk is gone, and I can't find any mention of it in the logs.

Where would I find information about when this disk failed, and how do I set it up so that the machine warns me when there's trouble?

p.s. The machine was registered on 31 okt 2009. It is under warranty. Are the disks?
Message 1 of 2
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Disk failure

If the disks were pre-installed by NetGear one would expect that they would probably be enterprise disks which typically carry a 5 year warranty. You can easily check that the disk has a 5 year warranty by looking it up on the Hard Disk HCL

Download the logs and look in disk_smart.log It will probably say that the disk that failed failed a SMART test. Look for the date of that test.

It is possible that the NAS only detected the disk failure when you booted after moving the NAS.

If email alerts are configured and working you should get emails about SMART errors (if there are any) and when a disk fails. The settings for this are under System > Alerts, I think. There's a tab where you fill in the email address etc. and another tab where you configure what alerts to send.
Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements