× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Disk test failed / possible disk going bad.

kevinm1
Star

Disk test failed / possible disk going bad.

So I had a disk fail the monthly disk test I'd setup. I saw somewhere else that since it was one disk only & it hadn't dropped from RAID, I should run a scrub (Which I did). I then kicked off a new disk test and that disk still failed. The disk still shows as "Online" and only showing 1 ATA error (in the GUI) and the volume.log is showing 6 "Uncorrectable Sector Counts" and 48 "Current Pending Sector Counts".

I'm pretty sure the disk is starting to go bad and I should just replace it with a spare, but would also love to have a second set of eyes look over the volume.log (which I've posting bleow after srcubbing serial numbers out). Also, I'm assuming the best way to replace a disk is to do it hot, while the NAS is still up. Any advice in that regard would be welcome too.

Model: RN3138|ReadyNAS 3138 Series 4- Bay (Diskless)
Message 1 of 2
StephenB
Guru

Re: Disk test failed / possible disk going bad.

@kevinm1 wrote:

The disk still shows as "Online" and only showing 1 ATA error (in the GUI) and the volume.log is showing 6 "Uncorrectable Sector Counts" and 48 "Current Pending Sector Counts".

I'm pretty sure the disk is starting to go bad and I should just replace it with a spare, but would also love to have a second set of eyes look over the volume.log 

It looks to me like sdc needs to be replaced.  It also looks like it should still be under warranty, so perhaps check on that.

@kevinm1 wrote:

Also, I'm assuming the best way to replace a disk is to do it hot, while the NAS is still up. Any advice in that regard would be welcome too.

I generally recommend doing a hot-swap - that ensures that the NAS detects the replacement.  Though it should also work if you power down the NAS and replace. If I have time, I test the replacement with Lifeguard before hot-swapping it - running both the long non-destructive test, and the full erase test.

If the replacement is formatted, you'll need to manually format it again from the volume page before it will be added to an array.  

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements