× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Duo V2 adding 4TB?

bobbyv
Aspirant

Duo V2 adding 4TB?

My Duo had 2x500GB drives, I pulled one out and inserted a 4TB WD Red drive.
It has started to sync and there's 15hrs to go but it's indicating it will be 1678GB.
I searched various forums before I bought the drives and it appeared that the Duo on V2 should work with 4TB.

Any idea if I should abort this and buy 2x2TB instead?

Model: ReadyNAS RND2110|ReadyNAS Duo
Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: Duo V2 adding 4TB?

@bobbyv wrote:

I searched various forums before I bought the drives and it appeared that the Duo on V2 should work with 4TB.

The v2 does, but I think you really have a v1.  The labeling is confusing here, and many v1 owners mistakenly think they have a v2.

A duo v1

• runs 4.1.x firmware
  • says ReadyNAS Duo on the front panel
  • often has a v2 label on the back

A duo v2

• runs 5.x firmware
  • says ReadyNAS Duo v2 on the front panel

If you have a v1, then it can't handle 4 TB disks, so you'd either need to exchange them, or purchase a new OS-6 NAS.

FWIW, both the v1 and v2 Duo are long end of life.  So they are no longer getting firmware updates with security patches. Also they only support the SMB 1.0 protocol, which is being deprecated by Microsoft.  While you can still manually install SMB 1.0 on Windows 10, if you use Windows then at some point you likely will be forced to get a newer model that supports SMB 3.0.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

@bobbyv wrote:

The v2 does, but I think you really have a v1.  The labeling is confusing here, and many v1 owners mistakenly think they have a v2.

A duo v1

• runs 4.1.x firmware
  • says ReadyNAS Duo on the front panel
  • often has a v2 label on the back

A duo v2

• runs 5.x firmware
  • says ReadyNAS Duo v2 on the front panel

If you have a v1, then it can't handle 4 TB disks, so you'd either need to exchange them, or purchase a new OS-6 NAS.

FWIW, both the v1 and v2 Duo are long end of life.  So they are no longer getting firmware updates with security patches. Also they only support the SMB 1.0 protocol, which is being deprecated by Microsoft.  While you can still manually install SMB 1.0 on Windows 10, if you use Windows then at some point you likely will be forced to get a newer model that supports SMB 3.0.

Message 2 of 3
bobbyv
Aspirant

Right on the spot, thanks Stephen so much.
Yes, it says "ReadyNAS Duo" on the front and is running 4.1.16.

I have another one, a ReadyNAS 102 running Firmware 6.9.4 which presently has 2x1TB mirrored

So I propose to take the new 4TB back out of the Duo and replace it with one of the 1TB drives from the 102
Then put the 4TB just taken out of the Duo into the now empty slot in the 102

When both boxes have synchronised I can take the other 1TB from the 102 and put in the Duo, replacing the remaining 500GB drive.
Then I can insert my other new 4TB drive into the vacated slot in the 102.

I hope that made sense, and thanks so much for your detailed explanation.

BTW, both these NAS boxes are only for backups of my photos and I normally leave then off until a new batch of photos need adding, I add them about twice a year.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements