× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Extra drive trays for a ReadyNAS 2120

Mantaro
Aspirant

Extra drive trays for a ReadyNAS 2120

We do regular hard drive rotations on our ReadyNAS 2120 (the 4-U rackmount model), and are looking to get extra caddies.  We've checked Amazon, E-Bay, and here without finding a good place to buy.  

I saw in this other forum thread https://community.netgear.com/t5/ReadyNAS-Hardware-Compatibility/Where-do-I-get-additional-drive-tra... that there is a generic tray of a certain model number, and am trying to figure out what that is for the 2120.  I looked through the product specs sheet without finding it.

If anyone knows the model number tray or a good place to find them, please let me know.  Thanks!

Model: RN21241D|ReadyNAS 2120 1U 4-Bay
Message 1 of 5
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Extra drive trays for a ReadyNAS 2120

RAID is not a backup. Swapping disks in and out is not the way to backup.

Message 2 of 5
Sandshark
Sensei

In pictures, they look a lot like Chenbro trays with different front faces.  But it's hard to find pictures of all angles.  Given that the original ReadyNAS trays were clearly also based on a Chenbro design (RM11500-06), I'm not surprised.  But whether the actual Chenbro ones will work, I can't say.

An eBay seller currently has pairs of them for $10, so it's not a big financial risk to find out.  There are a few different types of Chenbro trays, look for the ones compatible with the SK33502T2 and rack-mount servers of that generation.  Since you have live access to the Netgear ones, maybe you can better judge if the Chenbro's will work.  The slightly older SK33502-10A model may also work, but it doesn't have 2.5" drive mounting capability.

Message 3 of 5
Mantaro
Aspirant

@mdgm wrote:

Agreed, it's not an ideal solution.  The office swaps one disc out to an offsite vault each week, and we have checked the discs and confirmed the data is retrievable. 

@Sandshark wrote:

In pictures, they look a lot like Chenbro trays with different front faces.  But it's hard to find pictures of all angles.  Given that the original ReadyNAS trays were clearly also based on a Chenbro design (RM11500-06), I'm not surprised.  But whether the actual Chenbro ones will work, I can't say.

An eBay seller currently has pairs of them for $10, so it's not a big financial risk to find out.  There are a few different types of Chenbro trays, look for the ones compatible with the SK33502T2 and rack-mount servers of that generation.  Since you have live access to the Netgear ones, maybe you can better judge if the Chenbro's will work.  The slightly older SK33502-10A model may also work, but it doesn't have 2.5" drive mounting capability.

I appreciate you digging those up, they look very similar.  We'll try them out, I'll let you know if they work.  Thanks!

Message 4 of 5
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@Mantaro wrote:
@mdgm wrote:

Agreed, it's not an ideal solution.  The office swaps one disc out to an offsite vault each week, and we have checked the discs and confirmed the data is retrievable. 

RAID is not designed for this and neither are SATA connectors. You should be using USB disks, tape or backup over an internet connection.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements