× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Failing ReadyNAS NV+ - replace with RN10400?

dbasham
Aspirant

Failing ReadyNAS NV+ - replace with RN10400?

I have a Netgear ReadyNAS NV+ that appears to have yet another power supply failing (It will stay up for about 24 hours and then the network hangs). I have considered just replacing the power supply myself since this is out of warranty so the first question is whether you can purchase said power supply directly from Netgear. If so, how easy it is to replace the PS myself?

Secondly, I am looking for alternative Netgear NAS products that are drive compatible with my NV+. I currently have 4 Seagate 1.5TB drives in an XRaid configuration so I am wondering if I can just power off the NV+ and then plug the drives into another Netgear NAS (assuming I keep the orders the same) and have the drives fire up properly. Specifically, I am looking at the Netgear ReadyNAS 104 Diskless RN10400 which is available at Fry's for $189 after a $40 rebate. I eventually want to upgrade these drives one by one with 3 TB drives for even more space but I figure I don't need to do that yet as the drives themselves are fine. Can I swap the 4 drives directly form the NV+ and into the RN10400 without a loss of data (assuming I shutdown and power off the NV+ and then put the drives into the RN10400 in the right order and then power up the RN10400)? Will this work properly? ON a side note - what do people think of the RN10400?

Thanks in advance for your feedback,
--Denny
Message 1 of 2
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Failing ReadyNAS NV+ - replace with RN10400?

dbasham wrote:
I have a Netgear ReadyNAS NV+ that appears to have yet another power supply failing (It will stay up for about 24 hours and then the network hangs). I have considered just replacing the power supply myself since this is out of warranty so the first question is whether you can purchase said power supply directly from Netgear. If so, how easy it is to replace the PS myself?

If you can get a replacement PSU, you can follow the instructions here: http://www.readynas.com/kb/faq/hardware/how_do_i_replace_the_stock_power_supply_on_the_readynas_nv
dbasham wrote:

Secondly, I am looking for alternative Netgear NAS products that are drive compatible with my NV+.

All newer products are incompatible including the NV+ v2. See http://www.rnasguide.com/2012/01/09/how-to-tell-whether-i-have-a-duo-v1-or-duo-v2-or-nv-v1-or-nv-v2/
dbasham wrote:

I currently have 4 Seagate 1.5TB drives in an XRaid configuration so I am wondering if I can just power off the NV+ and then plug the drives into another Netgear NAS (assuming I keep the orders the same) and have the drives fire up properly.

There is a method to recover data from Sparc ReadyNAS in the latest models, but that is really a last resort and you still need to copy the data off elsewhere, factory reset (wipes all data, settings, everything) the new NAS and copy the data back.
dbasham wrote:

Specifically, I am looking at the Netgear ReadyNAS 104 Diskless RN10400 which is available at Fry's for $189 after a $40 rebate. I eventually want to upgrade these drives one by one with 3 TB drives for even more space but I figure I don't need to do that yet as the drives themselves are fine. Can I swap the 4 drives directly form the NV+ and into the RN10400 without a loss of data (assuming I shutdown and power off the NV+ and then put the drives into the RN10400 in the right order and then power up the RN10400)? Will this work properly?

Actually buying new disks and transferring the data across your network is what I would recommend.
dbasham wrote:

ON a side note - what do people think of the RN10400?

It is a good entry level 4-bay NAS. What would you be looking to use the NAS for? Depending on your needs a different model may suit you better.
Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements