× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Firmware 6.10.5 web interface broken in final release

ChuckMilne
Initiate

Firmware 6.10.5 web interface broken in final release

My RN10200 had a 2tb drive die - so I replaced with two 4TB Seagate Iron Wolf NAS drives. There was a notice that a new version of the firmware was available 6.10.5 so I figured I should update this. This seems to have been the bad move. I'm in that loop in the web interace that signs back in every 5 seconds. The system itself seems to be working and I'm able to access the system normally over the local network. It's just the web interface that is broken. In trying to find out what is going on I've seen notices on this forum saying that the 6.10.5 beta had this problem so it seems strange that this wasn't fixed before general release. It seems that it is a problem with the browser having cache/history issues and a lot of suggestions to use another browser. So I've tried Chrome, Firefox, Edge on various PCs and even on my Android phone - they all seem to have this issue. Before seeing that it seems to be a browser issue I followed other suggestions to do a factory reset -  and after that whole process and long resysnc of drives it was exactly the same. I did find one laptop allowed me to clear out all Firefox cache/history and then suddenly it worked on that PC normally. But now an hour later even that machine (that hasn't been used for anything else in the meantime) is back to having this same login loop problem. Is going back to 6.10.3 the best option if I can get a browser to allow me the get to this firmware update process via the web interface again. Or does anyone know how to premanently fix this in 6.10.5?

Does anyone know exactly what needs to be cleared/changed in the browser settings to get around this?

Thanks

Chuck.

Model: RN10200|ReadyNAS 100 Series 2- Bay (Diskless)
Message 1 of 71

Accepted Solutions
ChuckMilne
Initiate

Re: Firmware 6.10.5 web interface broken in final release

I was eventually able to get Firefox on my laptop to get on the the NAS web interface after doing a lot of playing around clearing caches/histories, etc. So I chose the firmware update feature in the interface to go back to the 6.10.3 version. After a reboot this seem to allow access to the NAS interface from everywhere again. So I'm not sure what the advantages might be of 6.10.5 - but the problems with the web interface seem to negate any improvements that might be in the latest version. So I'd be wary of this available update and treat the latest version as being still in beta.

The 6.10.3 inteface does keep coming up and saying that a later release (6.10.4) is available and do I want to install that. But after my experience with 6.10.5 I think I'll keep replying to ignore the optional update and stick with 6.10.3 that has been stable for a long while.

Regards,

Chuck. 

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 71

All Replies
mdgm
Virtuoso

No one provided enough information to reproduce the problem and no one from NETGEAR had a look at any affected system on the community as far as I can tell.

If you're still seeing it after a factory reset and clearing your web browser cache it would seem it could be related to something on your network or PC and how that interacts with the NAS.

Have you checked if rebooting your router has any impact on the problem.

Message 2 of 71
ChuckMilne
Initiate

I was eventually able to get Firefox on my laptop to get on the the NAS web interface after doing a lot of playing around clearing caches/histories, etc. So I chose the firmware update feature in the interface to go back to the 6.10.3 version. After a reboot this seem to allow access to the NAS interface from everywhere again. So I'm not sure what the advantages might be of 6.10.5 - but the problems with the web interface seem to negate any improvements that might be in the latest version. So I'd be wary of this available update and treat the latest version as being still in beta.

The 6.10.3 inteface does keep coming up and saying that a later release (6.10.4) is available and do I want to install that. But after my experience with 6.10.5 I think I'll keep replying to ignore the optional update and stick with 6.10.3 that has been stable for a long while.

Regards,

Chuck. 

Message 3 of 71

The tech support had a look on my NAS (RN102) but they couldn't find what causing the issue.

I have confirmed the issue went into 6.10.5 stable.

It seems to be because of apps. If I manage to get the web interface working temporarly, the apps menu is blank, and you can only view installed apps.
So somehow, Netgear have broke the app connection, and this causes the web interface to reset.

Model: RN102|ReadyNAS 100 Series 2- Bay
Message 4 of 71
mdgm
Virtuoso

Which apps do you have installed or did you have installed?

I wonder if it's falling back to apache safe mode which would suggest an issue with the http/s config for one of your apps. Or for some reason failing to fall back to apache safe mode.

Message 5 of 71

none.
I first tought it was SMB Plus, because it was the only app I had installed when the problem first appeared after updating to the beta.
Then I factory resetted the device, and reinstalled SMB Plus manually by uploading. Then it crashed again and got into a login loop.

I then tought it was the SMB Plus app that was the culprit... but it was just a RANDOM OCCURENCE... It just happened by random that the web interface broke just after installing the SMB Plus app.

Because when I factory resetted a third time, the web interface started looping on a freshly factory resetted device. The only thing I had done was gone through the setup wizard, no apps, no share config, nothing. After that, the device was TOTALLY untouched, but still it loops. It was like it was packed out of its cardboard box.

It seems just merely viewing something related to apps causing it to loop, like it gives up and tries to reset.
Since the start page contains a "Recommended apps" pane, I think its that pane timeouting, and causing it to reset.
Because when the web interface works (it randomly works) the "available apps" menu is totally blank.

Message 6 of 71
StephenB
Guru

@SebastianNielse wrote:

It seems just merely viewing something related to apps causing it to loop, like it gives up and tries to reset.
Since the start page contains a "Recommended apps" pane, I think its that pane timeouting, and causing it to reset.

Interesting.  I put the released 6.10.5 on my RN102 yesterday, and didn't see this behavior.  

The Apps and Featured Apps sections display normally on the system tab, and both the Installed Apps and Available Apps pages on the Apps tab do also.

FWIW, SMB Plus is installed on the system.

Did you try connecting from an incognito/private browser window? 

Message 7 of 71
RSherman90
Apprentice

Took the plunge with 6.10.5 and immediately got the login loop with Chrome,Edge & Firefox. None of the described solutions worked. Finally was able to login with with iExplorer I hadn't used in years. I immediately downgraded to 6.10.4. All is well.

I certainly regard this as a bug and do not consider 6.10.5 "stable". Who's kidding who?

Model: RN104|ReadyNAS 100 Series 4- Bay
Message 8 of 71
StephenB
Guru

@RSherman90 wrote:

Took the plunge with 6.10.5 and immediately got the login loop with Chrome,Edge & Firefox. 

I am not seeing this on my RN102.  Firmware 6.10.5 installed as usual, and there are no problems with browser access in Chrome.  It'd be good if we could figure out why some folks are seeing this, but not all.

Are you running any apps on the NAS?  

Also, is there internet security software running on the PC (Kaspersky, Avast, etc).

Message 9 of 71
RSherman90
Apprentice

@StephenB wrote:

@RSherman90 wrote:

Took the plunge with 6.10.5 and immediately got the login loop with Chrome,Edge & Firefox. 

Are you running any apps on the NAS?
Also, is there internet security software running on the PC (Kaspersky, Avast, etc).

Yes. I'm running PLEX Media Server and SMB Plus. Also run Eset Nod32 antivirus on the PC. I'm tempted to try 6.10.5 on my RN424 at work to see if this is related to x86 vs. ARM as I've not seen that mentioned anywhere. But that will have to wait until the weekend.

Message 10 of 71
StephenB
Guru

@RSherman90 wrote:

Yes. I'm running PLEX Media Server and SMB Plus. Also run Eset Nod32 antivirus on the PC. I'm tempted to try 6.10.5 on my RN424 at work to see if this is related to x86 vs. ARM as I've not seen that mentioned anywhere. But that will have to wait until the weekend.

Of course I am running it on arm (RN102).  SMB plus is running on that NAS, but not Plex. The RN102 is just for trying it out.  I'll be rolling it out to other NAS soon.

If you see it on the RN424, maybe try temporarily disabling the Eset package.

Message 11 of 71
Pirateguybrush
Aspirant

I'm seeing the same issue on my RN104.  Login is looping in IE, Chrome, Firefox (including private browsing).  Even seeing the same thing using Firefox from my phone.  Can't access the web interface to downgrade.  Only app installed is Plex.

Rebooted the unit, no change.

SSH is disabled, so I can't fix it that way.

Message 12 of 71
RSherman90
Apprentice

@Pirateguybrush wrote:

I'm seeing the same issue on my RN104.  Login is looping in IE, Chrome, Firefox (including private browsing).  Even seeing the same thing using Firefox from my phone.  Can't access the web interface to downgrade.  Only app installed is Plex.

Rebooted the unit, no change.

SSH is disabled, so I can't fix it that way.

Keep trying. You may get it eventually. I finally did an OS Reinstall. Then when the WebUi starts to come up to Overview, click on System before it shows the installed apps. Took a couple of trys before it worked. Also am not sure the OS Reinstall accomplished anything. You'll want to have an image of 6.10.4 firmware ready to manually install.

Message 13 of 71
RSherman90
Apprentice

Oops: should has written Settings, not System

Then when the WebUi starts to come up to Overview, click on System before it shows the installed apps.

Message 14 of 71
Sandshark
Sensei

In another thread on this issue, another user said something that suggested that the time on the NAS being wrong my have an effect.  On a unit where you did finally get through, is there any indication in the log that the timestamp at boot is wrong, like maybe the battery is dead?

Message 15 of 71
Pirateguybrush
Aspirant

I performed the OS reinstall via the boot menu, and now I'm locked out of the admin account.

I've cleared credentials from credential manager, and taken everything off the network that could be pushing the old credentials, but I'm still seeing this error after waiting 30 minutes.  Performed another OS reinstall for good measure, and no change.  Still locked out.

If I don't have any success with this though, would the USB recovery tool documented here be a suitable next step?

https://kb.netgear.com/29952/How-do-I-use-the-USB-Recovery-Tool-on-my-ReadyNAS-OS-6-storage-system

I'm a decent sysadmin, so confident in following the process - but the documentation is unclear whether or not USB recovery will lead to data loss (if it performs as planned)

Message 16 of 71
RSherman90
Apprentice

@Sandshark wrote:

In another thread on this issue, another user said something that suggested that the time on the NAS being wrong my have an effect.  On a unit where you did finally get through, is there any indication in the log that the timestamp at boot is wrong, like maybe the battery is dead?

Nothing in the log to suggest a timestamp issue. ReadyNAS time is correct

Message 17 of 71
StephenB
Guru

@Pirateguybrush wrote:

I performed the OS reinstall via the boot menu, and now I'm locked out of the admin account.

The OS reinstall changes the admin password back to password.

The credentials manager wouldn't be applying the credentials, but the browser itself might be.  Try logging in from an incognito/private browser window, and see if that helps.

Message 18 of 71
Pirateguybrush
Aspirant

I was using a private browser, so I don't think that was the issue.  It let me in after leaving it overnight though, and I was able to downgrade again.

Thanks for your assistance.  Netgear need to pull this release until they've completed further testing.

Message 19 of 71
mdgm
Virtuoso

I understand that a number of people are having issues, but no one on the community has provided enough details about their NAS configuration and network environment to readily reproduce any problems accessing the web admin interface with the 6.10.5 betas or the final release.

I don't know if they've had any more success through their support channels.

If everyone that has problems just downgrades rather than troubleshooting it then the chances of any bug (if there is one) being identified and fixed soon are lower than they otherwise would be.

Message 20 of 71
Pirateguybrush
Aspirant

It seems like it's related to apps, if that helps.  They may be able to reproduce by installing SMB Plus and Plex server on a test unit.

Message 21 of 71

@Pirateguybrush 

No. I can confirm its NOT related to installed apps.

I have confirmed a totally clean unit, in factory reset state, with no apps, no nothing on it, not even configured, somehow triggered this bug after initial setup wizard.

I installed 6.10.5 on a RN102. Then factory resetted it completely, it was totally blank, blank harddrives with no data on them, and OS install and everything.

Then did the setup wizard, ergo configuring the unit with admin password, time zone and such.

The instant it loaded the web panel AFTER the setup wizard, it started looping infinitely.

So its not related to any INSTALLED apps as the unit was completely clean.

**BUT**

I noticed 2 things related to apps:

As soon as it tries to load the panel "Recommended apps" - it instantly reloads admin panel.

And second: The panel "Available apps" in the menu, is totally blank. Its however possible (if you get it to stop looping randomly) - to install apps manually by uploading .deb files. Installing apps does not in itself trigger reload.

So it seems its related to apps somehow, like it cannot connect to netgear's app repo, and as a consequence, tries to reload the web interface in a attempt to "fix" the problem.

Message 22 of 71
Pirateguybrush
Aspirant

Great investigating there.  Hopefully that helps pinpoint the issue.

Message 23 of 71
Sandshark
Sensei

OK, you say it triggered "after initial setup wizard".  So, not completely factory fresh, but close.  Something you selected in the wizard may also be a factor.

Message 24 of 71

Only thing I changed from default is enable 24 hour clock.

That is ONLY thing I changed from default except for setting a password.

Message 25 of 71
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements