× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Good Bye ReadyNAS. I'll miss you

bozolino1
Aspirant

Good Bye ReadyNAS. I'll miss you

it breaks my heart to say so, but here's the way it goes:

back at the end of 2010 i have spent almost a month figuring out which NAS to buy. i ended up deciding on a ReadyNAS.

ReadyNAS was a small company of innovative engineers (infrant) backed by a big prosumer brand (netgear). they had the best hardware (techwise AND designwise), their operating system was top notch, their support was killer and their community of developers and friendly staffers was next to none.

in hindsight it looks like i jumped on the boat just when it started sinking.

merely two years later their os looks like crap (because it has not been developed further and even their bugfixes are buggy). their user base hates them (because their new os will not run on ANY current devices), and instead of a once vivid developer community on their forums they now have an incredibly ugly "app store" (genie.netgear.com) where everyone tries to make a quick buck before the ship is completely gone.

in other words: a textbook example a good product destroyed by VERY bad management.

so i've sold my Ultra and purchased a synology 2413+ instead. their DSM operating system is incredible. their developer community is thriving. sure, their hardware is ugly as hell, but it serves the job. and THEY are the technology leaders now.

all that snapshot crap in ReadyNas OS 6 won't make up for an all-too-obvious lack of features when compared to synology.
and it will DEFINITELY not make up for the loss of a community.

so good-bye fellow readyNASers. i sure will miss you. may you suffer not too badly and jump the ship in time ; )
Message 1 of 1
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 0 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 1 in conversation
Announcements