× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

High Pro 2 CPU Temperatures/Fan speed not steady

DjamesB
Aspirant

High Pro 2 CPU Temperatures/Fan speed not steady

Hi folks, my IT guys have been buying lots of Duos over the past couple of years for file storage for my offices and I decided to get 2 - Pro 2's for my home, one for a HomeServer to share, and one for me :). I've tried the whs, whs2011, and built a box win8 try as a home server, but I'm going back to this route and listening to my IT guys.

Anyway,

I bought both from NewEgg and just RMA'd the first one. The fan never really kicked in above 820 rpm and the cpu sat at about 77 C. I just got my second one yesterday and I seem to be having fan/temp problems here too, or is this normal. I thought I'd ask before I start a ticket on my 2nd Pro 2.

Currently:
I'm using certified drives.
RAIDiator 4.2.22
Room Temp: 24 C
CPU Temp: 68 C
Sys Temp: 34 C
Disk 1: 45 C
Disk 2: 43 C
Fan Speed: 815

I'm sitting here watching this and what happens is that when the CPU gets to 70 C, the fan will kick in to 2393 RPM, and the temps will drop to:

CPU Temp: 50 C
Sys Temp: 28 C
Disk 1: 41 C
Disk 2: 39 C

The fan will stay on for about 3 minutes or so at that high rpm, the CPU does not drop below 50, then the fan goes back to about 800 rpm. The CPU then rises slowly up to 70 C and the process starts all over again.

I have "recalibrated" and re-booted several times.

It seems to me that the firmware is not letting the fan speed increase slowly as the temps rise.

Also, if the fan runs for several minutes while the Disks and Sys continue to drop in temperature but the CPU doesn't drop below 50 C.

Is there a temp read issue?, thermal grease issue? this seems hot. All the PC's in my house that I've built idle at 32-35 C.

Also, in talking to my IT guy today, we have about 15 Duo's all over the place, and he logged on and checked the temps on those and they are about 33-35 C.

Comments appreciated from other users before I start asking tech. I get my new RMA one tomorrow afternoon and will look and see.

Thank you,
Message 1 of 12
StephenB
Guru

Re: High Pro 2 CPU Temperatures/Fan speed not steady

try downgrading the firmware to 4.2.21 and see if the issue disappears.
Message 2 of 12
DjamesB
Aspirant

Thanks, I'm new to this forum and NasReady, and was thinking that but like to hear from users like you for the tips. Thanks Stephen, will try later and revert. Appreciate it.
Message 3 of 12
DjamesB
Aspirant

Ok, to report back, before I flashed back to 4.2.21, I did a complete powerdown, unplug, --- instead of the warm boots. I should have done a complete power down before.

Now, with 4.2.22, the fan runs about 800 rpm, and kicks in to about 1130 RPM at CPU 55 C. When the CPU drops back down to 50 C, the fan drops back down to about 800 RPM. I can live with that, 55. I presume NetGear is balancing CPU temp to Fan Speed Noise ratio. Seeing this cpu is a passive cooled fin radiator, I guess one can live with 50-55, a lot better than the 70's.

I am going to wait until the 2nd Pro 2 arrives and open a ticket for discussion purposes with tech just to make sure 50-55 is correct. Thank you StephenB. --one more question, where do they archive the previous versions??
Message 4 of 12
StephenB
Guru

DjamesB wrote:
...one more question, where do they archive the previous versions??
http://www.readynas.com/?cat=47 (www.readynas.com, technologies->RAIDiator (x86)
Message 5 of 12
DjamesB
Aspirant

...where it should be, didn't look hard enough. Thank you.
Message 6 of 12
DjamesB
Aspirant

I got my replacement RMA'd Pro 2 in this afternoon (to replace the one that was stuck at CPU=77 C) , and after a couple hours with Tech support, I have to RMA that one too as it looks like a bad HD controller. It wouldn't start up with 2 disks in the bay. Both Tony and Cody (tech support guys) have been great to work with!

Back to the Pro 2 of this topic.

Earlier I said that doing a cold boot, brought the temp cycle back to 50-55. For whatever reason, that stopped and the cycle again became 50 C, up to 70 C, then back down to 50 again, and around. So I tried the 4.2.21. Did the reboot, and odd "ticking" sounds started, and the Pro 2 wouldn't boot. Shutting down by 2 presses on the power button, unplug, then starting back up, the Pro2 would light up the blue light, fan on, shut down, light up the blue light, fan on, shut down, repeat. Unplug, wait. Repeat same.

Ok, doing a Factory Default restore now. This device has 2 X Constellation ST33000650NS. Expensive buggers. Sure hope I don't have to RMA this one too. Seems like some bad luck or something. At least I'm running in to all this before I put any data on these things. The systems are coming with 4.2.19, maybe just leave it at the factory settings? Kinda bummed 😞 I've had the setting for the drive at Raid 1, Maybe let it go default Xraid?

Anyway, keep ya posted and keeping notes here for tech support for the next call, which I hope not.

EDIT >> in the process of doing the Factory Reset. I put the disks in one at a time before I did the reset, and there was no "ticking", it wasn't until I put both disks in that the "ticking" started back up. Fortunately, in to the Factory Reset process and no more ticking. Hopefully don't have to return the HD's...

thanks,

P.S. I'm getting a good collection of power supplies going since they don't want those back with the RMA 🙂
Message 7 of 12
StephenB
Guru

I am thinking that the ticking is coming from one of the drives. If you can connect them to a PC, try running seatools. The tool might not detect any problems, but exercising the drives might allow you to hear it...
Message 8 of 12
DjamesB
Aspirant

Ya, that's what I was thinking too. Took them both out, put them in win8 machine I have and there is no ticking and read the disks just fine. The ticking is ONLY when both disks are in the Pro 2. When either drive is in alone, either bay 1 or 2, there is no ticking. Some kind of controller read issue, in my very limited knowledge... I just pulled them both out, put them in a win8 pc, and removed all of the partitions. No "ticking" as they spin up in the PC. May not get to this as have to run to work. Thanks for your continued input!
Message 9 of 12
DjamesB
Aspirant

So, removed the partitions, and there is no ticking on clicking or anything in the win8 machine. Put them both back in the Pro 2 and the power just cycles on and off, back and forth, and the "ticking" continues. Not really a tick or a click, it sounds like something is trying to "start up", kinda click, them terminates then tries again. Anyway, bring the disks to the guy that runs my IT department to check and have started a ticket with Netgear.

reverting,,,
Message 10 of 12
DjamesB
Aspirant

Ok, just an update, I had my IT department take the two disks, format NTFS, checked all the blocks and cluster, r/w tests, and confirm no sounds. My HD's are ok. Back to my "ticket" and support. Weird.
Message 11 of 12
DjamesB
Aspirant

Back on with Support, they are going to RMA the Pro 2.

In regard to temps, the temp cycle running from 50C up to 70C and back down 50C then back to 70C cycle is considered normal and recommended I use 4.2.22. Ok, just wanted to hear it.

Now hope my 2 new boxes that come work... I commend NetGear on quick followup on their equipment. End of this topic (re temps...) for me.
Thanks folks,
Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements