× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Home folders share not working for SMB

PATTERSON108
Aspirant

Home folders share not working for SMB

Hello all,

I have a ReadyNAS 102 with 2x 2tb raid setup as mirror. Firmware History 6.25 --> 6.40 ---> 6.50. I noticed there was a Share Called Home Folders. I have enabled SMB, FTP under the Access tab. When I login into the FTP site as a user I can browse the folder called "home". I have tried everything I can think of to try to find the SMB share called home like the FTP site. Any suggestions would be great. I have been reading other forums suggesting to turn off anonymous on the home folder share but I can't find this in firmeware 6.50. 

Model: RN10200|ReadyNAS 100 Series 2- Bay (Diskless)
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: Home folders share not working for SMB

Inside home there is a subfolder for each user account.  When you using SMB, you log in as user X you will see the folder X - but not home itself. If you aren't seeing any user folder, then you are using guest (anonymous) credentials.  The solution is to go into windows credentials manager and enter the user account you want to use with the NAS.  You still won't see "home", just the private home share for that user.

FTP works differently.  If you have FTP access for home shares, then you can see the home folder, but if you log in as user X and descend into it you will only see subfolder X, and not the others.  

Note that if you log in as admin, things work slightly differently with SMB.  Admin can access the full data volume using SMB - in which case you see everything including home. 

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 4

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

Inside home there is a subfolder for each user account.  When you using SMB, you log in as user X you will see the folder X - but not home itself. If you aren't seeing any user folder, then you are using guest (anonymous) credentials.  The solution is to go into windows credentials manager and enter the user account you want to use with the NAS.  You still won't see "home", just the private home share for that user.

FTP works differently.  If you have FTP access for home shares, then you can see the home folder, but if you log in as user X and descend into it you will only see subfolder X, and not the others.  

Note that if you log in as admin, things work slightly differently with SMB.  Admin can access the full data volume using SMB - in which case you see everything including home. 

Message 2 of 4
PATTERSON108
Aspirant

Thank you. Windows Credentials Manager work great though I had to add a "Windows Credential" not a "Generic Credential."  I added both the IP address and the DNS name for the ReadyNAS.

Model: RN10200|ReadyNAS 100 Series 2- Bay (Diskless)
Message 3 of 4
StephenB
Guru

@PATTERSON108 wrote:

Thank you. Windows Credentials Manager work great though I had to add a "Windows Credential" not a "Generic Credential."  

Exactly right.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements