× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

How is this forum made?

eton
Luminary

How is this forum made?

I think this forum has got one of the most clever designs I've seen.

It it's based on phpBB, but do you have any extras to it? Pluings? other things?

In short I would like to know as much as possible so that I can make a clone myself.
Message 1 of 9
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: How is this forum made?

The theme is ProSilver, I think. You can check in your profile.

When you make your own forum do make it on a different topic.
Message 2 of 9
InTheShires
Tutor

eton wrote:

In short I would like to know as much as possible so that I can make a clone myself.

You'll learn more by downloading the phpBB software and installing it on your webhost/etc and then figuring it out. I've used most flavours of forum software over the years, but the best way to see how it works is to get get stuck in to it. Especially if you plan use default skins. I'm not good with PSP/Gimp which is my biggest let down when it comes to forum design, but if you are happy with the common or default themes, it really isn't too hard to get a basic handle on.

Delving deeper obviously the learning curve changes more steeply, but that applies to most things.
Message 3 of 9
eton
Luminary

Thanks for your replies.

Fancy style is ok, but usability should not be lacking (it sadly almost always does when visiting a custom made forum).
Same thing with blogs, I love the accepted design and get irritated when I have to solve the logic puzzle just to get to the content.

Though I am very used to graphic software I prefer recognition so that users feel at home directly. Just recently I have had bad experiences with very modern, advanced and beautiful forums, search problems, finding your old posts, settings etc.

I like that this forum has View unread posts | View new posts | View your posts in the upper right area (I have never seen "ego" search before, clever) and I have never seen bookmark for threads either and I miss it in other forums. Are those functions default in phpBB or do they come with add-ons?
Message 4 of 9
eton
Luminary

The theme is: subsilver2 (according to the HTML)

Style name: subsilver2
Based on style: subSilver (the default phpBB 2 style)
Original author: subBlue ( http://www.subBlue.com/ )
Modified by: psoTFX and the phpBB team ( http://www.phpbb.com )
This is an alternative style for phpBB3 for those wishing to stay with
the familiar subSilver style of phpBB version 2.x

http://www.phpbb3styles.net/db/style/subsilver2
Message 5 of 9
eton
Luminary

Still no answers to what customisations that are used on the forum. 😞

https://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/
Message 6 of 9
chirpa
Luminary

Its proSilver (avatars on right) or subSilver2 (avatars on left) themes, depending on which one you choose, proSilver is the default.

Not much customizing done. It used to have more mods, but after a restore awhile ago, none of the mods were reinserted (like email PM notification with PM content). It is 99% stock phpBB3.

The ego Search is just modifying the template to add that line. It can be found in the Index listing, was just copied to other headers.

Yoh-dah originally set up the forum in 2004 on phpBB2. I took over admin'ing it in 2007, until I quit in 2012. No one really maintains it anymore, OOM-9 might do a drive-thru, but no stable management now.
Message 7 of 9
eton
Luminary

Thanks a lot for the information chirpa!

Interesting that the ReadyNAS Forum is almost standard phpBB, when it has got many more features than any other forum I know.

Like:
Ego search - as mentioned.
Fully editable threads, incl subject.
Deletion of posts and threads.
Bookmark topic
Message 8 of 9
chirpa
Luminary

All of those features are built in. We may just have them enabled where others don't. All toggles in admin.
Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements