× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

I think I bricked my RNDP6000-100NAS please help

nickel22222
Aspirant

I think I bricked my RNDP6000-100NAS please help

I feel like I'm going to throw up.

I didn't lose any data that I can't recover. But my unit will not boot up at all.

Stuck on READYNAS logo.

A few months ago I bought a used RNDP6000-100 with some disks on Ebay for a good deal.

It worked ok with no issues of concern.

I updated it per the unofficial way to version 6 of the OS. More due to the crummy interface than anything else.

Well tonight I noticed I've been having some issues with one or two of the disks so I pulled them out leaving the 4 identical model disks (8 tb) behind. Apparently the disks were different sized and had a couple of SMART issues that killed the Acronis backup. 

I don't think they had anything to do with my problem I just created.

Well I saw on the screen that the FW was updating the new 4 disk system. 

But I shut off power too quickly.

Then I noticed that I could never get back to boot screen nor could I get booted up at all as before. Nothing is likely to have failed I think.

I took all the hard drives out and prayed but no dice.

I had recently upgraded to the latest beta of the firmware, which I believe is 6.10 beta 2 t185 I think.

Now of course I can't see the IP. No ethernet activity and no bootup and resets do nothing.

So in desperation I created a USB recovery for 6 of the OS and put the beta binary file on it and created a usb disk.

I pushed it into the front USB port and held down the little button above the constantly lit LED. But it never seems to boot off of a couple of the flash drives. One of the thumb drives has a light when it sees activity and nothing.

Please help I think I bricked it and it will cost me a ton for a new/used 6 bay.

Will consider paying to have this mess fixed. Hooking up to vga would be helpful I guess.

Really desperate.

Using the x86 bios file.

Of course I am out of warranty and warranty extension is moot because I did not buy from authorized reseller. I have a vault of data I need to secure no matter what happens.

Patrick

Model: ReadyNAS RNDP6000|ReadyNAS Pro 6 Chassis only
Message 1 of 15

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: I think I bricked my RNDP6000-100NAS please help

@nickel22222 wrote:

Today I got a one command timeout from one of the drives. What is this?

An aborted operation due to a hard disk timeout.  https://kb.acronis.com/content/9123

It's not a good sign, so definitely keep on eye on the disk.  Are you seeing other errors (growing pending sector or reallocated sectors, or uncorrected errors)?

View solution in original post

Message 15 of 15

All Replies
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi @nickel22222

Welcome to the Community!

Were you able to try booting the NAS without the drives? Does RAIDar detect?

Have you tried holding the backup button when booting from USB? 

Pulling out two disks might have rendered the RAID degraded or inactive but it should give you that message. Might be best to try and recover the data off the NAS first by using ReCLAIMe or other suggested software then try to do a Factory reset.

I think USB Recovery can help but we have to make sure we get to boot it from USB.

Regards

Message 2 of 15
nickel22222
Aspirant

The NAS no longer boots. Removing drives changes nothing.

Raidar detects nothing on both lan ports and that's likely because according to lack of lan lights no activity to lan detect in first place.

I don't need to recover any data, just make my unit work again.

Let me ask you this. If I use a USB thumb drive how do I know if it's compatible? And if it's a light when active type, won't the light come on?

I tried the two usb drives one 32 g and other 16 gig and nothing boots.

I tried all three usb ports no difference.

I used version "6" recovery and can provide you the file information.

I've held the backup small button next to constant green light for a few minutes. How many minutes/hours does it take to boot?

Model: RNDP6000-200 |ReadyNAS® Pro 6 |EOL
Message 3 of 15
nickel22222
Aspirant

Thanks for comments.

Some on the community are suggesting replacing the PSU. What kind of seasonic device do I need to for the RNDP6000-100NAS?

If VGA is an option, I just need to know what patch cord I need. I can get USB keyboard.

Patrick

Message 4 of 15
nickel22222
Aspirant

Here's what I found but not sure they'll work.

Replace PSU with Seasonic. Could not find SS300-SFD. Found SSP-300SFB.

8" 24 pin ATX 2.1 extension

XFX-LPBRKT VGA

Message 5 of 15
StephenB
Guru

Message 6 of 15
nickel22222
Aspirant

Based on the fact that a memory tests a couple of weeks ago were ok, I suspect it's not cpu or memory.

If so, what are the items to check for that might prevent booting?

PSU.

Bad thumb drive or incompatible.

Others?

Thanks

Message 7 of 15
Sandshark
Sensei

As far as compatible flash drives are concerned, the older, the better.  I've had ggod luck with Lexar 2GB's.

I don't think you can use an OS6 style USB recovery with a legacy system on OS6.  I think you need to make an OS4.2 style one with the modified OS6 image.  Since there is no modified 6.10 Beta around (though there are instructions to "roll your own" somewhere in the upgrade thread), you could put in a spare drive in place of the normal ones, do the USB recovery to an earlier version, and then update to 6.10 Beta before removing the spare drive and inserting your normal ones.  You could even go all the way back to 4.2.x and upgrade to 6.

It's possible that your power supply coicidently failed at the same time you had the other problems.  All that's needed for the "ReadyNAS" display is 5V, which rarely fails.  But I'd try other things, first.  If you have a "spare" ATX supply, you can connect that externally just to see.  As you already mentioned, attaching a VGA monitor may also be helpful.

Message 8 of 15
nickel22222
Aspirant

Please let me know what replacement power supply is.
I got a new seasoning but appears to be different.

Also I need removal and replacement instructions.

It’s too tight for me to get my hands in there to move Power atx connectors.
Message 9 of 15
Sandshark
Sensei

There is really nothing special about removing it.  Yes, it's a tight fit; but you basically remove the sides and back, remove all connections and screws, and slide it out.  If you have any ATX or similar type supply, you can install that externally without physically removing the supply, just to see that a replacement supply will work.  You may have to remove the memory to get at the 24-pin connector.

The distribution of max currents for the different voltages can vary between supplies.  Seasonic does make a 300W one with the fan slightly off-center and not extended that some have said works OK, even with the offset fan.  It has the same specs as the standard supply.  I would prefer a 350 or 400W supply from another manufacturer that has the centered fan, but I've not actually tried any.

Message 10 of 15
nickel22222
Aspirant

Thanks.

Tested with seasonic other model and it boots.
I need to ask if bad power supply can cause smart errors in interface of nas.
Message 11 of 15
TeknoJnky
Hero

1) if it powers up, why would you think the power supply is bad?

2) the nas will not boot without a hard disk. Put a good blank drive in and then see if it will boot. If not see if you can get to the boot menu and manually select the factory default.

https://kb.netgear.com/21107/How-do-I-access-the-boot-menu-on-my-ReadyNAS-Ultra-6-Ultra-6-Plus-Pro-6...

Message 12 of 15
StephenB
Guru

@nickel22222 wrote:

I need to ask if bad power supply can cause smart errors in interface of nas.

SMART errors are detected and stored in the disk drives themselves.  If there is a power problem they could misbehave (and possibly could be damaged).  You might want to test them in a Windows PC with vendor tools (seatools for Seagate, lifeguard for Western Digital). 

Message 13 of 15
nickel22222
Aspirant

The drive seems to run ok in windows 10.

Patrick

Message 14 of 15
StephenB
Guru

@nickel22222 wrote:

An aborted operation due to a hard disk timeout.  https://kb.acronis.com/content/9123

It's not a good sign, so definitely keep on eye on the disk.  Are you seeing other errors (growing pending sector or reallocated sectors, or uncorrected errors)?

Message 15 of 15
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements