× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Local unrar

pwozney
Aspirant

Local unrar

I would like an option to locally unrar/zip something, because when compressed files are stored on the NAS they must be copied back to my server for decompression.

This is okay for small files, or when I don't need the network, but sometimes it just isn't appropriate. I would like the ability to unrar/zip these files locally - either through the web front-end or maybe...when ssh is enabled. 🙂

I hope someone else would find this useful.
Message 1 of 20
chirpa
Luminary

Re: Local unrar

useful - yes.
efficient - not so sure.

not sure how the cpu in the nas would handle that work. would you want to unrar a 700mb file, taking 5mins, and making your nas completely unusable for everyone during that time?

i personally have my stuff on gigabit, so i dont mind unraring over the network, even 4gb does not take very long at gigabit speeds. but to each his own...
Message 2 of 20
Lichon
Aspirant

Now that is a BitTorrent client, I think this would be most helpful.
Kinda like newgroups downloader with Urd feature request.

The process of unpacking could be run in low priority mode.
Message 3 of 20
chirpa
Luminary

I installed unrar awhile ago and have been using it with no issues.
apt-get install unrar
Message 4 of 20
chicken
Aspirant

Hi,

I downloaded rar 3.71 for linux from http://www.rarlab.com/download.htm. I placed it in the admin home directory, before decompressing (gunzip -d) it and then extracting it (tar -xvf). I copied the rar file and unrar file to /usr/local/bin and when i went to run them i got the following error "cannot execute binary file". The file has execute permissions. When I file'd the file i received the following; 'ELF 32-bit LSB executable, Intel 80386, version 1 (SYSV), for GNU/Linux 2.6.0, dynamically linked (uses shared libs), stripped'. I also tried 'make install' but not luck. Could you please assist. Thank you.

some additional info

ReadyNAS NV +
uname -a # Linux readynas 2.6.17.8ReadyNAS #1 Wed Feb 13 13:49:24 PST 2008 padre unknown
firmware # RAIDiator 4.01c1-p1 [1.00a041]
Message 5 of 20
Zappes
Aspirant

The ReadyNAS has a SPARC CPU, you installed a binary for Intel x86. This has no chance of working, remove the binary and use the apt-get approach described by chirpa instead.

(You will need the APT-add-on for that).
Message 6 of 20
chicken
Aspirant

Thank you Zappes,

Initially I did try this, and on attempting "apt-get install unrar", I received the following;

You might want to run `apt-get -f install' to correct these:
The following packages have unmet dependencies:
unrar: Depends: libc6 (>= 2.3.5-1) but 2.3.2.ds1-22sarge6.infrant1 is to be installed
Depends: libgcc1 (>= 1:4.1.1-12) but 1:3.4.3-13 is to be installed
Depends: libstdc++6 (>= 4.1.1-12) but it is not installable
W: Couldn't stat source package list http://packages.debian.org readynas/ Packages (/var/lib/apt/lists/packages.debian.org_stable_utils_readynas_Packages) - stat (2 No such file or directory)
W: You may want to run apt-get update to correct these problems
E: Unmet dependencies. Try 'apt-get -f install' with no packages (or specify a solution).

I'm not confident enough to simply try the apt-get update and don't know much about all the C type stuff above.

The First two packages appear to be installed (see below), however the libstdc++6 is not.
readynas:/# dpkg -s libgcc1
Package: libgcc1
Priority: required
Section: libs
Installed-Size: 152
Maintainer: Debian GCC maintainers <debian-gcc@lists.debian.org>
Source: gcc-3.4 (3.4.3-13)
Version: 1:3.4.3-13
Depends: libc6 (>= 2.3.2.ds1-21)
Description: GCC support library
Shared version of the support library, a library of internal subroutines
that GCC uses to overcome shortcomings of particular machines, or
special needs for some languages.

readynas:/# dpkg -s libstdc++6
Package `libstdc++6' is not installed and no info is available.

Any assistance in where to go from here will be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Message 7 of 20
Zappes
Aspirant

Doing "apt-get update" will not hurt you - trying something like "apt-get upgrade" or "apt-get dist-upgrade" may be a bit of a problem, though, so better avoid those. 😉

I just did an apt-get update followed by apt-get install unrar and it works like a charm.

Edit: You might want to install the latest beta firmware, though - I don't know which kinds of dependencies might not be satisfied by the earlier versions as I use T136 on my box.
Message 8 of 20
chicken
Aspirant

Thanks Zappes, I will give this a try the next time I am at home as my home modem is been stubbrn and not forwarding ports.
Message 9 of 20
kashiwagi
Aspirant

I gigantic thread lift, but I thought I could contribute some numbers for reference.

39GB took approximately 1hr49m to unrar. Meaning that you will average about 0.35GB/min on the NV+.
Message 10 of 20
smcbee
Aspirant

I've got this all installed, but I have no idea how to actually initiate an unrar... is there a way to set up a watch folder, where any rar files will automatically be unrar'd?
Thanks in advance for any help!
Message 11 of 20
dsm1212
Apprentice

Normally I unrar from the command line. Like "unrar e foo.rar". If it's a multi-part rar just run it against the first file and it will do all of them.

Just FYI, but my readynas 4.2.18 pro 6 had unrar already installed. At least I don't think it got pulled in from what I installed (unless tonido did it).

-steve
Message 12 of 20
smcbee
Aspirant

dsm1212 wrote:
Normally I unrar from the command line. Like "unrar e foo.rar". If it's a multi-part rar just run it against the first file and it will do all of them.

Just FYI, but my readynas 4.2.18 pro 6 had unrar already installed. At least I don't think it got pulled in from what I installed (unless tonido did it).

-steve

Thanks for the reply. I'm really looking to automate my entire downloading, unraring, sorting process -- the only problem I'm having is that it takes about 40 minutes to unrar a 720p TV episode from my computer -- so if I can properly automate the unrar locally on the NAS, everything should go much more smoothly.

-Shawn
Message 13 of 20
dsm1212
Apprentice

That would be great. Please share when you are done :-). One thing I find irksome and haven't had time to sort out is the file permissions. Files come in with one permission via Transmission but are not correct for what I want in the sharing area. I've been moving things by hand. Nothing is ever named very well anyhow so human intervention is almost required to fix that up.
Message 14 of 20
TeknoJnky
Hero

smcbee wrote:
I've got this all installed, but I have no idea how to actually initiate an unrar... is there a way to set up a watch folder, where any rar files will automatically be unrar'd?

nope.

the nv+/duo have seriously slow cpu for this type of work, you are far better off unraring across the network.
Message 15 of 20
smcbee
Aspirant

I have to respectfully disagree... I just used the command line to unrar a file in about 4 minutes that would have taken 40 minutes over the network. The NV+ can handle it, I just need to find a way to automate it.
Message 16 of 20
TeknoJnky
Hero

about the only way to automate it is for the program which downloads the rar to run a script and/or trigger unrrar itself.
Message 17 of 20
dsm1212
Apprentice

Cron job that wakes up every 5 min to unrar any files in an incoming folder to a destination folder and then move the rar to a processed folder? The multi-part rars are tricky though because of the "automatic" handling by unrar.
Message 18 of 20
TeknoJnky
Hero

the problems with cron jobs or anything that runs on a timer, is that the timer does not know all files have been moved to the completed folder or maybe a long unrar job is already going and then tries to start a second one, etc.
Message 19 of 20
sphardy1
Apprentice

TeknoJnky wrote:
the problems with cron jobs or anything that runs on a timer, is that the timer does not know all files have been moved to the completed folder or maybe a long unrar job is already going and then tries to start a second one, etc.

Have the script create/check for a pid file to prevent multiple jobs running simultaneously
Message 20 of 20
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 19 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 10 in conversation
Announcements