× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Memory test ReadyNAS Ultra 2

ChristianoNL
Aspirant

Memory test ReadyNAS Ultra 2

Good day everyone!

I have a question about the ReadyNAS Ultra 2 memory upgrade.
A couple of months ago I bought this new NAS for my home to backup, download and share files!
Today I’ve upgraded the memory of this NAS from 1 GB ASint Sodimm DDR3 1066 mhz to 2GB Corsair Sodimm DDR 1333 mhz.

2 Hours ago i started the memory test of this device, the pattern lit goes form
1. Disk 1 lit
2. Disk 2 lit
3. Power button lit
4. USB lit

I this the correct way to test my memory right, or is my memory bad?
I've searched this forum but i cannot find any information about the Ultra 2 to run memory test.

Thanks Alot!
Bye... :shock:
Message 1 of 39
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Memory test ReadyNAS Ultra 2

The memory test runs in a loop until it encounters a problem or is stopped. If still running after a few hours or so memory should be fine
Message 2 of 39
ChristianoNL
Aspirant

Dear mdgm,

Thank you very much for your anwser.
The memory test ran for about 10 hours straight without any problems, when I looked this morning the test still runs.
So I can tell my memory should be fine.

For people they want to upgrade they memory also:
Its Corsair Valueram DDR3 1066 mhz Sodimm CM3X2GSD1066

Thanks for your help!
Message 3 of 39
drSeehas1
Aspirant

Here it is a DDR3 2 GB SODIMM from Samsung: M471B5773DH0-CH9. The memory test ran for hours now, memory should be fine.
Message 4 of 39
Royan
Aspirant

Well...

Readynas Pro 2
I have tried both
Corsair Valueram DDR3 1066 mhz Sodimm CM3X2GSD1066 WITH 8 chips per side and
Kingston KVR1066D3S7/2G, also with 8 chips on each side.

Neither of them work.
When I start the nas, the fan just spins up and never slows down.
Only the power light lights up, all of the indicator lights stay dead.

So the quest goes on... well, maybe later 🙂

brgds
Royan
Message 5 of 39
drSeehas1
Aspirant

Royan wrote:
Readynas Pro 2
Should be the same hardware.
I have tried both
Corsair Valueram DDR3 1066 mhz Sodimm CM3X2GSD1066 WITH 8 chips per side and
Kingston KVR1066D3S7/2G, also with 8 chips on each side.
So you have 16 chips total on each module?
My working 2-GB-module has only 8 chips total.
I think this is the difference.
Message 6 of 39
Royan
Aspirant

yep,
and as far as I can tell, all the newer batches of CM3X2GSD1066 have 16 chips. 😞

brgds
Royan
Message 7 of 39
drSeehas1
Aspirant

Royan wrote:
... all the newer batches of CM3X2GSD1066 have 16 chips. ...
That is the reason, why I prefer to buy my modules made by e.g. Samsung or Hynix: You can be sure you get always the same modules as long as you order the same part number.
Corsair, Kingston & Co sell different modules under the same part number.
Message 8 of 39
dannyleesmith80
Aspirant

Have any of you guys tried a 4gb memory module and had any success yet i have tried 1 so far and had no luck for upgrading the ram from 1gb to 4gb what was CT51264BC1067 Not Compatible but this was laid out as a 256 x 64 as it 2 x 8 cant see why it had that code as it should of been CT25664BC1067
Message 9 of 39
JarnoG
Guide

I want to upgrade the memory of my Ultra 2 to 4GB. Does anyone have any experience with this?
Message 10 of 39
dannyleesmith80
Aspirant

JarnoG wrote:
I want to upgrade the memory of my Ultra 2 to 4GB. Does anyone have any experience with this?

I am still on a search my self m8 i will post if i find one that works
Message 11 of 39
dannyleesmith80
Aspirant

has any one tried the 4gb CT51264BC1067 as i am using the 2gb CT25664BC10 and it work fine i will get one next week and try it if not
Message 12 of 39
JarnoG
Guide

I tried the Kingston KTH-X3B/4G (4GB, 16 chips) last night and that one doesn't work.
Message 13 of 39
dannyleesmith80
Aspirant

CT51264BC1339 4 GB DDR3 RAM its a 512 x 64 memory module from Crucial mite be the next option. It has 8 x chips seems to only accept modules with 8 x chips only by the look of it. at the moment I am using a 2gb crucial 256 x 64 at the moment and it works fine faster speed ram also 10600 its doing the job
Message 14 of 39
JarnoG
Guide

Do not work:
Kingston KVR1333D3S9/4G (4GB, 16 chips)
Nanya NT2GC64B8HA1NS-BE (2GB, 16 chips)
Elpida 2Rx8 PC3-10600S-9-10-F1 (2GB, 16 chips)

How's the Crucial memory working out?
Message 15 of 39
dannyleesmith80
Aspirant

crucial works well. haven't had a chance to try the 4gb out yet. but the 2gb works well that's the 8 chip 256x64
Message 16 of 39
InTheShires
Tutor

dannyleesmith80 wrote:
CT51264BC1339 4 GB DDR3 RAM its a 512 x 64 memory module from Crucial mite be the next option.

I tried this as it was cheap as chips, under £15 quid delivered in the UK. It didn't work.

Have you tried any more yet, Danny?
Message 17 of 39
dannyleesmith80
Aspirant

not yet m8 just renovating our home as soon as i am done i will be trying to test more modules.
And will be listing and i do test.
Message 18 of 39
Etz
Aspirant
Aspirant

Maximum amount would be 2GB for Ultra, its Intel Atom Chipset limitation, 4GB memory max, allocated to two slots. (2x2GB)
But as you may already know, Ultra has only one slot available 😉

Thats why Crucial CT51264BC1067 4GB module wouldnt work.
I used 2GB module CT25664BC1067, and it works fine, passed all memtests and so on. :rofl:
Message 19 of 39
besokare
Aspirant

Kingston KVR1333D3S8S9/2G works too. Had it for 1 week now and no errors.

http://www.kingston.com/dataSheets/KVR1333D3S8S9_2G.pdf

It has 8 chips in total, 4 on each side.
Message 20 of 39
daveevans76
Aspirant

I use my NAS to stream movies to APTV2. Is there a large gain to be had with upgrading from 1GB to 2GB for uploading and streaming content?
Message 21 of 39
StephenB
Guru

daveevans76 wrote:
I use my NAS to stream movies to APTV2. Is there a large gain to be had with upgrading from 1GB to 2GB for uploading and streaming content?
I'd start from the other direction: Is there any evidence that your NAS is underpowered (are movies stalling/stuttering during playback, etc)?

Even BluRay is limited to about 6 MB/s transfer speeds - though you want some margin over that. However an Ultra should be able to easily keep up as long as you are not doing real-time transcoding.
Message 22 of 39
daveevans76
Aspirant

Good point. I got thinking about it when I noticed the movies stuttering lately. That also could have to do with the fact that my hardware stopped working. Just had the device replaced through RMA and replaced with bigger, faster HDDs. I will see if that makes a difference.
Message 23 of 39
paltrude
Aspirant

besokare wrote:
Kingston KVR1333D3S8S9/2G works too. Had it for 1 week now and no errors.

http://www.kingston.com/dataSheets/KVR1333D3S8S9_2G.pdf

It has 8 chips in total, 4 on each side.

I second this, works great for me too in my Netgear ReadyNAS Ultra 2. Picked it up for about 16 USD, which wasn't much money in swedish currency at least.
Running 2 weeks now and all 3 initial memory tests came back without errors. 3 hours, 8h, 3h.

3 benefits that I have noticed, in my case which may NOT apply to anyone else, are:
1. Overall performance when I log in as admin and start to check settings have increased. It wasn't bad before, but more loading times occured with 1GB than with 2GB.
2. Performance when entering/browsing large folders via the CIFS protocol, ie in my case, folders with 550+ subfolders and/or files have definitely increased.
3. ReadyDNLA/Skifta have both increased performance (since they are closely paired perhaps?) This shows in my PS3 and my Android phone whenever I enter a folder for streaming movies/music.
I can't show you numbers on this though.

Addons enabled are Netgear Remote and Skifta, no others have been tested but I suppose the more addons enabled, the more RAM is used as mentioned earlier by others.

Copy speed have NOT increased however, it shoves around between 90-110mb/s from the NAS and 27-32Mb/s to the NAS which is sufficient for me.
Jumbo frames didn't work before my RAM upgrade and I doubt that will change after this. All critera are met according to various sources but it won't work for me. If I have the time I will tinker with this.

Edit: Spelling
Message 24 of 39
TheSwede86
Aspirant

Hi guys!

Have you used any guide for installing extra memory (breakdown chart etc.)?
Also I am going to run kmotion with 4 wireless IP-cameras as well as Sabnzb+/Couchpotato/Sickbeard and stream movies to my Raspberry Pi (running Raspbmc), do you think I will benefit from a memory upgrade?

As I read here earlier I am thinking about going for the Kingston 2048MB DDR3 PC3-10600 1333MHz (KVR1333D3S8S9/2G), any objections?
I can't seem to find the speed for the stock memory, does anyone know this?
Message 25 of 39
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements