× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Migration of existing disks to a new NAS box

Blacktimor
Aspirant

Migration of existing disks to a new NAS box

Migration of existing disks to a new NAS

My NAS RN21200 was replaced under warranty. I have 2 x 6TB disks which are mirrored and contain important data. When I received my new NAS replacement the documentation indicated that any disks inserted into it would be formated losing all data. However, I also have an article from Netgear 'ReadyNAS OS 6: Migrating a volume'  which says to just put the disks in and the data will be accessible as per normal.

I am concerned that I get 2 opposing ideas from Netgear and at this stage I await clarification on what to do.

I would appreciate any feedback on this.

Terry

Model: RN21200|ReadyNAS 212 Series 2- Bay (Diskless)
Message 1 of 6
JohnCM_S
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Migration of existing disks to a new NAS box

Hi Blacktimor,

If the replacement unit is just of the same model, you can just insert the disks in the same order on that unit. No data should be lost when you do that. 

Regards,

Message 2 of 6
Blacktimor
Aspirant

Hi, the only problem is that I do not know the order of removal of the disks. So there is a 50% chance of getting it right and 50% chance of getting it wrong. What happens if I insert them in the wrong order?

Terry

Model: RN21200|ReadyNAS 212 Series 2- Bay (Diskless)
Message 3 of 6
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Hi @Blacktimor, you wrote "the only problem is that I do not know the order of removal of the disks."

Should you still have a logfile you downloaded from of the old box you could look into disk_info.log to see which disk was in which bay. You would see that by comparing the serial number on each disk with that what is listed in the logfile.

Kind regards

Message 4 of 6
Blacktimor
Aspirant

I have dowloaded the log file for future reference so thanks for that information. Could you tell me where the log file has been downloded to on a Windows 10 box.

Terry

Model: RN212|2 BAY Desktop ReadyNAS Storage
Message 5 of 6
StephenB
Guru

@Blacktimor wrote:

Could you tell me where the log file has been downloaded to on a Windows 10 box.

No, since that depends on where your browser decided to put it.  But you can search for it from Windows File Explorer.  Search for System_log-*.zip

FWIW, though it's best to preserve the order, the system will work ok if you don't.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements