× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Moving readynas volume to new NAS

petermac
Apprentice

Moving readynas volume to new NAS

I had a volume containing 4 drives on an older ReadyNAS 316 that died. I purchased a new 424 to put the drives in and while the system will boot to the admin menu and it does see the new volume is there it cannot mount it. I have tried doing a OS Reinstall  which does finish it still won't mount the volume. It shows all 4 drives with a green check box in Raidar, the status of the volume is

Volume data RAID Level 5, Inactive, 8.2TB (100%) of 8.2TB used.

Any suggestions on how to make the volume active again?

Message 1 of 4
StephenB
Guru

Re: Moving readynas volume to new NAS

@petermac wrote:

I had a volume containing 4 drives on an older ReadyNAS 316 that died. I purchased a new 424 to put the drives in and while the system will boot to the admin menu and it does see the new volume is there it cannot mount it.

Any suggestions on how to make the volume active again?

The best way is to use paid Netgear support (my.netgear.com).  It might not be covered by your 30-day phone support (which certainly wouldn't stretch to data recovery).

Message 2 of 4
Sandshark
Sensei

Did you put the drives in in the right order?  The NAS can typically sort that out, but I've seen problems when all 4 drives are not the same size,

If you didn't mark them and have access to an old log .zip file, you can find the order by serial number in disk_info.log.

Message 3 of 4
petermac
Apprentice

Finally managed to mount the volume as ready only. Now to back them up.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements