× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Multiple failing Seagate Barracuda ST32000542AS

carpii
Tutor

Multiple failing Seagate Barracuda ST32000542AS

I bought 3 ReadyNAS (over the course of 5 months), and populated them all with identical Seagate Barracuda's
They are the Barracuda LP ST32000542AS model, on the HCL and I chose these because there were no special firmware requirements

Over the past month, one of my NAS is starting to send regular SMART email alerts, about disk problems
Initially it was disk 1, but the past week Disk 4 is also starting to get errors

Has anyone had a similar experience with these drives?
Could it be something to do with the NAS chassis?
My other 2 NAS (including the oldest one) use the same drives without problems

Im starting to think I made a rookie error by buying homogeous drives.
Message 1 of 15
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Multiple failing Seagate Barracuda ST32000542AS

Under Status > Health > SMART+ what are the firmware versions on the different disks?

Disks can and do fail at any time, so it certainly is possible to have problems with a few disks in one NAS but not in others.
Message 2 of 15
carpii
Tutor

On all the Barracudas (all 3 NAS), the firmware is CC34

Maybe Ive just been unlucky, it just struck me as worrying that both failed drives are in the same NAS
Message 3 of 15
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

What SMART errors exactly are they getting and what's the count like?

You can power down the NAS, remove the disks (label order), connect them to an internal SATA port in your PC and run a long/extended (can't remember what it's called) SeaTools test on the drives.

Another option would be to run the "Disk Test" boot option: http://www.readynas.com/kb/faq/boot/how_do_i_use_the_boot_menu
Message 4 of 15
PapaBear1
Guide

Keep an eye on the drives and keep track of the errors. I have an ST31000528AS that started throwing errors and increased up to 7 back in Feb and then stopped. The drive is still in service and has logged almost 4,000 more hours without another error being reported. I have another that started increasing rapidly in large increments and when the errors reached 334, I replaced the drive in January. I am debating on returning it for an RMA rather than just discarding it. (My array started with 4x1TB Seagates in two NVX units plus two spares. I am currently running 2x3TB Hitachi + 2x1TB Seagate in each unit and plan on going on to 4x3TB in both units, so the 1TB drives would be surplus.)
Message 5 of 15
carpii
Tutor

mdgm wrote:
What SMART errors exactly are they getting and what's the count like?

I just got another alert this morning.....

Reallocated sector count has increased in the last day.
Disk 1:
Previous count: 24
Current count: 28

Reallocated sector count has increased in the last day.
Disk 4:
Previous count: 44
Current count: 46

You can power down the NAS, remove the disks (label order), connect them to an internal SATA port in your PC and run a long/extended (can't remember what it's called) SeaTools test on the drives.

I stumbled across this, but it appears to be for Windows/DOS only. My desktop is a mac, and my server machines are all linux. I do have a Windows laptop somewhere, but obviously no SATA on those.

Another option would be to run the "Disk Test" boot option: http://www.readynas.com/kb/faq/boot/how_do_i_use_the_boot_menu

I'll try this today

Thanks
Message 6 of 15
carpii
Tutor

PapaBear wrote:
I am debating on returning it for an RMA rather than just discarding it. (My array started with 4x1TB Seagates in two NVX units plus two spares. I am currently running 2x3TB Hitachi + 2x1TB Seagate in each unit and plan on going on to 4x3TB in both units, so the 1TB drives would be surplus.)

I too looked into whether the Seagates are still under warranty. Im not sure whether a bunch of SMART errors would qualify as a broken drive, but from what I've read Seagate will replace the drives with refurbished ones rather than new ones.
Refurbished drives are not something I want in my NAS, so I guess I'll just write my drives off as a bad loss
Message 7 of 15
ahpsi1
Tutor

I have several ST32000542AS's in use and also have a few with reallocated sectors. In my experience as long as the number of sectors does not increase by large numbers of sectors each day and does not exceed 2000 you should be OK. I would note the most current firmware for this drive is CC35 and there are quite a few threads about flashing to this version on the net (and the potential problems associated with the attempt -> http://forums.seagate.com/t5/Barracuda-XT-Barracuda-Barracuda/2-of-7-ST32000542AS-drives-won-t-accep...) but even forcing the update seems to work out well -> http://niallbest.com/seagate-2tb-st32000542as-cc35-firmware-upgrade/. As far as refurbished - at least they are packaged well for shipment which is something I cannot say is always the case when buying a hard drive through the mail.

If you want to attempt the FW update on the Win laptop you have a few options depending on the type and model of laptop. You could try a PCMCIA or Expresscard SATA adapter (between $7 and $9 on Amazon - though I have not tried this myself as my laptop has exteneral SATA) or if you have a system that accepts a CD/DVD bay to hard drive caddy you could use a SATA extension cable (http://www.amazon.com/22-pin-Female-Power-Extension-Cable/dp/B00310V8IY/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=13461...) to extend the connection out to the 3.5" HD. This would admittedly be a bit of work and might require cutting the drive caddy.
Message 8 of 15
PapaBear1
Guide

carpii wrote:
I too looked into whether the Seagates are still under warranty. Im not sure whether a bunch of SMART errors would qualify as a broken drive, but from what I've read Seagate will replace the drives with refurbished ones rather than new ones.
Refurbished drives are not something I want in my NAS, so I guess I'll just write my drives off as a bad loss

You are correct, Seagate replaces failed drives with refurbished ones in this order 1) same model if possible 2) same size if available 3) failing all that the next larger size.

The first Seagate I had fail was an ST3500630AS that failed in 2007 about a month after I did the initial setup of my then brand new NV+ with two of those drives. I replaced it with one purchased at my local retail dealer (fortunately in stock) while I RMA'd the failed drive. It just quit, and was stone cold when I removed it. They replaced it with an ST3750528AS which was on the list, but I was reluctant to use it for a good while since it was a refurbished drive. Obviously I fell to step 3 in the above sequence.

The next two to fail were current ST31000528AS drives. Both of the "recertified" drives (Seagate uses this term rather than refurbished) drives are in present NAS use, one in my primary and one in my backup NVX units. I had not planned to use them for this, but they have performed well, with one currently having over 9,000 power on hours (Primary) and the other over 4,000 power on hours (Back Up). That ST3750528AS I mentioned, it did serve for a while in my NV+ alongside 3 500GB drives when I needed a fourth drive and my spare 500GB was rejected as being too small. (It only takes one less sector and it will be rejected). It served well until all four drives were replaced by 1TB drives.

Ironically, my experience with Seagate refurbished drives is better than new one. To date, of 13 new Seagate drives in service, 4 have failed, and 2 are currently questionable. Of the 3 refurbished drives I have been sent I have had 0 failures and 0 throwing errors. Who knows, maybe their recertification plant in Mexico does a better job than their Asian factories?
Message 9 of 15
carpii
Tutor

Thanks for all the advice guys. Ive decided to replace the two failing Seagates, as Netgear recommend replacing any drive as soon as the reallocated sector count exceeds 50...

http://www.readynas.com/kb/faq/hardware/reallocated_sector_count_has_increased_in_the_last_day

Amazon have a good price on Seagate 3TB Drives (which are also on the HCL)
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Seagate-7200RPM ... 108&sr=1-1

I think I will order two of these, and then send the faulty 2TB ones back to Seagate. Then when I get refurbished ones, at least Ill have a couple of backup drives for use in an emergency.

One final question.. I ran a volume scan on the NAS (using the boot menu), and read that the results of the scan would be viewable in RAIDar
Running RAIDar (on mac), I cant find any way of seeing the results of the scan.

When I check the logs in FrontView, it shows the system shutting down, then the next log entry is 'System is up.' (6 hour lapse between those two messages, but FrontView doesn't seem to know there was a Volume Scan going on, nor does it give the results of the scan).

Does this all mean the volume scan produced nothing noteworthy?

PS: Am I right in thinking its fine to load 2x3TB drives alongside 2*2TB drives? Im using RAIDX and its a while since I pored over all the docs

Thanks
Message 10 of 15
StephenB
Guru

You can use 3 TB drives with your 2 TB drives if you are using XRAID2 and have firmware of 4.2.16 or later.
Message 11 of 15
carpii
Tutor

StephenB wrote:
You can use 3 TB drives with your 2 TB drives if you are using XRAID2 and have firmware of 4.2.16 or later.

Thats great, Thanks Stephen

Im using 4.2.19 and XRAID2 😛
Message 12 of 15
PapaBear1
Guide

Be sure to back up all your data before you start and replace the drives one at a time. After you have replaced the second drive, it will take at least one and maybe several reboots before the vertical expansion starts and it will take much longer than the resync.

I when through this when I replace two 1TB drives with two 3TB drives on both of my NVXs.
Message 13 of 15
carpii
Tutor

PapaBear wrote:
Be sure to back up all your data before you start and replace the drives one at a time. After you have replaced the second drive, it will take at least one and maybe several reboots before the vertical expansion starts and it will take much longer than the resync.

I when through this when I replace two 1TB drives with two 3TB drives on both of my NVXs.

The failing NAS is actually just a backup NAS for my 1st one. I rsync it across each night

I havent done a volume expansion before, so thanks for the tip!
Message 14 of 15
PapaBear1
Guide

Sounds like my set up. Two NVX units, one is the primary and mapped in Windows, the other is the nightly rsync back up target of the first.

In that case I would go ahead and update the drives in the backup. When I do any updates, I do it on the backup (NVX Pioneer) before I do it on the primary (NVX BE) a week later.
Message 15 of 15
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements