× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

NAS Scheduled Backups to Windows 10?

sjschmidtky1
Guide

NAS Scheduled Backups to Windows 10?

I need to backup 3TB of data from my NAS.  There are reports that the maximum for attached external drivers for my NV+ is 2 TB.  Is there some RSYNC kind of capabilities to schedule a backup to a drive attached for a Windows computer?

What other recommendations are there for scheduled backups from the NAS to a large external drive?

Thanks, Steve

Model: ReadyNAS-NV+|ReadyNAS NV+
Message 1 of 3
Sandshark
Sensei

Re: NAS Scheduled Backups to Windows 10?

I tried several RSYNC tools for Windows and was not satisfied with any of them.  But that was before WSL (Windows Subsystem for Linux).  Since it can run native rsync, I've read good things about it.  But it does only work with the Pro version of Windows. 

If WSL and the Windows backup options on the NAS don't meet your needs, there are a number of things you can run on the PC.  I have personally found EaseUs ToDo Backup to be a good choice.

Message 2 of 3
StephenB
Guru

Re: NAS Scheduled Backups to Windows 10?

@sjschmidtky1 wrote:

There are reports that the maximum for attached external drivers for my NV+ is 2 TB. 

Yes, that is the case for the NV+ v1 (which run 4.1.x firmware).  That is also the max size for the internal drives.

@sjschmidtky1 wrote:

What other recommendations are there for scheduled backups from the NAS to a large external drive?

I also haven't seen much here on good versions or rsync for windows.  

I think the best approach is not to use a backup job running on the NAS, but instead run the backup on the PC.  One free tool you could try is FreeFileSync.  Microsoft has an old utility called Robocopy (robust file copy) which would also work - it is built into Windows. It does do incremental backup. However, it does need to be run from the command line.  

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements