× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

NFS version 4?

lewellyn
Aspirant

NFS version 4?

Is there a way to enable a share to use NFS v4? The network here uses NFS v4 (and generally the Unix machines use Active Directory for user lookups, for ease of management) on most systems utilizing NFS mounts, and it's not guaranteed that UIDs will always be the same. NFS v4 is the most elegant solution to the problem of retaining proper file ownership.

So, does the ReadyNAS support NFS v4? If so, how do I set the default domain? If not, is it on the radar (not the RAIDar 😄 )?
Message 1 of 7
chirpa
Luminary

Re: NFS version 4?

Moving your thread to the Feature Request forum, for consideration in future firmware releases.
Message 2 of 7
CharlesLaCour
Aspirant

This is something that you may want to look at sooner than later. The next version of Red Hat Fedora, being released in a week, is going to use NFSv4 by default.
Message 3 of 7
chirpa
Luminary

We have it in the kernel already, just not sure to what point it is exposed in user space. We are looking into it.
Message 4 of 7
discoverlinux
Aspirant

My 2100, RAIDiator 4.1.6, does support v4, as well as 2 and 3.

sudo rpcinfo -p backupserver | grep nfs
100003 2 udp 2049 nfs
100003 3 udp 2049 nfs
100003 4 udp 2049 nfs
100003 2 tcp 2049 nfs
100003 3 tcp 2049 nfs
100003 4 tcp 2049 nfs

Replace "backupserver" with your NAS IP address.

The problem is the config file needs an additional parameter which defines the NFS v4 pseudo-filesystem root (only define one at the top level). You then only need to mount the root "backupserver:/" in v4, which in my config actually mounts the NAS /backup directory. So I only have one NFS share, so added "fsid=0" to the /etc/exports

"/backup" *(fsid=0,insecure,insecure_locks,rw,async)

To mount my local directory /archive I use

sudo mount -t nfs4 -o rw,hard,intr,bg backupserver:/ /archive

Note backupserver:/ is used as you mount the root only, don't use the actual share name like /backup.
Message 5 of 7
chirpa
Luminary

As I posted in your other thread, you appear to have the ReadyNAS Duo, not the 2100.
Message 6 of 7
Brooks1
Aspirant

Bump.

Just wondering if there have been any updates NFS-wise in the past year. Thanks in advance.
Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements