× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

NV with 4 1.5 Seagates won't rebuild after drive swap

KaoticChemistry
Aspirant

All,

My topic pretty much sums up my problem, but here's the detail..

I've been running an NV with Seagate 1.5TBs for some years now without much issue (YEAH!), however my 4th drive has been acting up a bit and giving more SMART errors than the others. Very recently it jumped by about 20 errors in one alert so I decided it was time to swap that drive and stay ahead of failure.

I got a replacement from Seagate, slapped it in and figured all would be well come morning..

Nope! To my surprise the rebuild stopped and the NV thinks the drive is dead, but with no indication as to what the problem with the drive might be. I figured it was just being a little temperamental so I started the process again, unfortunately I got the same results..

I tried a number of times and it would always seem to die at about 2-3 hours of a 6 hour rebuild.. Ugh!

I then thought that maybe I just got a bunk drive from Seagate so I slapped the old one back in thinking I'd be fine since it was working ok.. To my horror this time it failed as well!

I tried and tried, but always got the same results! How is that possible?!

Thinking I had 2 bad drives now I went ahead and plugged them into a PC and loaded up Seatools to see if it could pinpoint what the problem might be. I ran all the tests and both drives passed with flying colors! No problems at all!

UGH!!

So, what do you think my next steps should be? No matter what I do I can't get it to rebuild so getting another disk probably won't matter at this point, so just wipe it and start fresh.. Not fun, but I'm not sure if I have a choice..

Side note: I'm pretty sure I swapped drive 4 before as the one that's in there was a refurb, is there maybe a problem with the channel??

I'm also wondering if SMART reporting on the NV is a little off and maybe not worry about it so much?

Any input is greatly appreciated!

Thanks much!

-KC
Message 1 of 4
WhoCares_
Mentor

There is a difference between what Seatools believes to be acceptable for a drive to be called "ok" and what the ReadyNAS thinks about the same drive. From my personal teesting I found that while you may have some success in trying to put the disk in until the ReadyNAS will finally accept it, the only end result will be that the NAS quite surely will trigger resyncs and rebuilds some time after. The only real solution I found was to replace drives until finally one was accepted without problems.

-Stefan
Message 2 of 4
KaoticChemistry
Aspirant

Re: NV with 4 1.5 Seagates won't rebuild after drive swap

Ugh.....

Unfortunately I only have 4 disks, plus the 1 RMA disk that *should* be good so buying and swapping around a bunch of disks to find some good ones really isn't feasible, I really don't think I need or should have to buy another 4 disks to get some good ones..

Again what baffles me is that my original disk was working fine until I tried swapping it out, now my NV just won't deal with it anymore which is pretty frustrating..

I think I'm going to try to upgrade the OS, reboot, see what happens, try to swap in one of the disks and if it all goes to pot just default it and start fresh..

I shouldn't have to do this, but I'm happy I'm able to back it up and give it a go..

Stay tuned..

-KC
Message 3 of 4
KaoticChemistry
Aspirant

Re: NV with 4 1.5 Seagates won't rebuild after drive swap

Well, somehow after the 25th time of trying to use the new disk it decided that it was OK and finally rebuilt!

YEAH!!!

So far so good, but annoying nonetheless...

-KC
Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements