× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

NVX, Plex, iPad, ChromeCast & MKV

matgr
Aspirant

NVX, Plex, iPad, ChromeCast & MKV

Just got a ChromeCast and have been trying it out with Plex server on my NVX using an iPad to cast it to the TV via the ChromeCast.

What I've found is MVK files don't stream, these are 1080p either stereo or 5.1. They start but after a few seconds buffer, then play a few seconds then buffer. However 1080p mp4 files do stream.

I then moved some of the 1080p MKV files to my Macbook Pro and set up Plex server on that and they stream fine so its the NVX that is the bottle neck, can someone tell me why, is it trying to transcode?
Message 1 of 3
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: NVX, Plex, iPad, ChromeCast & MKV

Yes. The NVX is 32-bit. It is the slowest desktop ReadyNAS with an Intel CPU.

The ChromeCast has limited processing power. If the quality is too good or the video is low enough quality but not in the right format then the server needs to transcode. I've heard it requires more transcoding than when streaming to the AppleTV.

In the current ReadyNAS lineup the 516 is a good choice for transcoding 1080p. Using the 516 I've transcoded 1080p successfully to play on my iPad and as far as I can tell it works flawlessly. Have a look at the Community Plex NAS Compatibility List

Of course with wireless devices, wireless networking issues could also be a factor, but definitely the CPU in the NVX is the main problem with your current setup.
Message 2 of 3
matgr
Aspirant

Re: NVX, Plex, iPad, ChromeCast & MKV

Thanks.

I tried the Plex server on my MacBook wired and wireless and it played back fine wirelessly for the MKV's so wireless is not an issue just NAS processor speed.
Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements