× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Netgear ReadyNAS 314 Has Login Issues

StephenB
Guru

Re: Netgear ReadyNAS 314 Has Login Issues

My guess is that the login is simply timing out.

Are you seeing any other indications that the web ui is sluggish?

Message 26 of 36
OldSchoolGuy
Aspirant

Sometimes it can be slow and I’ve seen once or twice before where the buttons on the webpage where white.

Message 27 of 36
OldSchoolGuy
Aspirant

One thing, when I said that booting up the unit without drives works fine you said that this is a clue of a issue, would this be a bad one or a good one?

Message 28 of 36
StephenB
Guru

@OldSchoolGuy wrote:

One thing, when I said that booting up the unit without drives works fine you said that this is a clue of a issue, would this be a bad one or a good one?

Not really sure, as I haven't played much with recovery mode.  

If you want, you can download the full log zip, and send it to me.  Do that by uploading it to cloud storage (dropbox, google drive, etc), and then send me a PM (private message) with the link.  Send the PM using the envelope icon in the upper right of the forum page.  Make sure the permissions are set so anyone with the link can download it.

Message 29 of 36
OldSchoolGuy
Aspirant

Hi, thanks for all your help but I will be scraping this unit.  I have two other ReadyNAS’s at home, a 214, and a NV+ from 2008.  I unfortunately can’t afford a new NAS at the moment, so I will be scraping this unit in what’s left in it :door panel cover, fan, PSU, and side panels.  Will be selling them on eBay along with my fully working ReadyNAS 214 as I’m not sure if that one will mysteriously go “bad” suddenly, so I’d rather get rid of it before issues come along with that one too.  I will be keeping my Netgear ReadyNAS NV+ as it works fine and is bulletproof aside from a few issues along the years that I have fixed, in 2020 the PSU started making weird noises along with a small spark, thankfully the unit was fine and I took another PSU and modified it to fit inside the unit.  My Netgear ReadyNAS 214 drives went bad once too a few years ago, but this is my first ReadyNAS that has had a login problem.  If you’d like, I can send the logs but if everything looks alright I will be scraping the unit because I need to buy a new NAS.  What NAS do you recommend?  QNAP and  Synology look like good brands.  

Message 30 of 36
OldSchoolGuy
Aspirant

I forget to mention, the drives in this unit is from a NAS that was being thrown out last year and I replaced the drives in this unit because they weren’t working correctly.  Not sure what that changes, but would just like to put that out there.  

Message 31 of 36
OldSchoolGuy
Aspirant

I have a question, under all of the drives under the Smart_History status the CMD Timeouts say -1 is this normal? 

Message 32 of 36
OldSchoolGuy
Aspirant

I know this is a long shot, but is it possible that the replacement power supply that I bought last year is failing?  What would be the best way to check this?  Would a volt meter connected to the correct pins work?  Would this cause my CMD Timeout?

Message 33 of 36
StephenB
Guru

@OldSchoolGuy wrote:

What NAS do you recommend?  QNAP and  Synology look like good brands.  

I've only owned ReadyNAS, so I have no experience with other brands.  

Certainly it makes sense to look at QNAP and Synology.  Maybe also Asustor.

Another option is to get a USB-C enclosure and connect it to a PC. 

Message 34 of 36
StephenB
Guru

@OldSchoolGuy wrote:

I have a question, under all of the drives under the Smart_History status the CMD Timeouts say -1 is this normal? 

Generally -1 means that smartctl has no information on that parameter.  Not a concern, though I've more often seen that with temperature.

Often you will see that info later on (for instance if you use ssh and run smartctl).

Message 35 of 36
Sandshark
Sensei

Do you have a user name and password saved in the browser? I've not seen that cause this specific behavior, but it's worth checking.  I ask because without drives, your NAS will identify itself differently to your browser, so any stored password would not be used.

Message 36 of 36
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 35 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements