× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Please Help

Maxpower411
Aspirant

Please Help

My Ready Nas configured with 5- 6tb Drives. A redligt came on on one of the drives. I replaced the drive, while running.

In the past I could see when the drive was removed, but not this time, I was only showing 4 drives in the configuration.

No resync started, so I turned on resysc, don't know if this helped, but I now see the drive. The main error message at this time,

shows degraged, with the new drive not doing its job??

Thanks for any help, using flex or raid 5

Jeff

Message 1 of 30

Accepted Solutions
Maxpower411
Aspirant

Re: Please Help

Hey JohnCM_S, as well as all those trying to help-

This whole mess gets messier. The first Disk was one of 2 disks sent to me by Egghead. I got the 2nd today (nightmare) I bought 2 NEW disks online, 1 didn't even have it's antistatic packaging, the other was Marked Refurbished (sad for a 2 NEW disk order), they both went back. While all this was happening (I ORDERED 5 NEW dISKS FROM aMAZON). I trully belive that the new disk 2 was bad, but I will never know as they all went back today!@!

That being said my system as I have said is still up on 4 disks, fully booting, and functioning. I do have backups, but might find it easier making new ones. Once I do, I will replace disk 2, with a 12TB drive (add a 12TB, to the other 6TB drives) and see if this fixes all. I am hoping it will.

Worst case and probably best idea- after this replace all drives and data with 12TB drives, instead of the 6TB(drives) that is in there now!!

Drive 2 is still able to be warranteed, as it is not 5 years old, and I checked it is OK to warantee.

The errors noted on Drive 4, were created by another bad disk from the past, if you look up my old post, it actrually explains, How a bad disk can cause this to happen. However this has not been increasing, except for just recently.

I should be getting my new disks tommorrow, I will keep you posted. Thanks again to all of you for your input.

I am not new at this, and all I wanted was to get my system to resync all 5 drives, even though I am only currently using 4. It cant resync, if drive 2 is showing bad, after formatting it 2 times.

View solution in original post

Message 27 of 30

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

What ReadyNAS model do you have and what firmware are you running?

Was the drive you inserted formatted? (it shouldn't be).

What do you mean when you say you "turned resync on".  AFAIK there is no way to do that.

Message 2 of 30
Maxpower411
Aspirant

In services under settings resync can be turned on or off

The new disk was not formatted

Message 3 of 30
Maxpower411
Aspirant

Volume State is New, and disk state is unknown in configuation

Message 4 of 30
Maxpower411
Aspirant

It is a ReadyNas 516 w/5 6TB Drives

Firmware is the latest, this was updated, after the problem

Message 5 of 30
JohnCM_S
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi Maxpower411,

In services under settings resync can be turned on or off

The new disk was not formatted

I think what you are referring to here is "Rsync". This is different from the resync process done by the volume.

The replacement disk is also 6TB, right?

You may also download the NAS system logs then provide those to me so we can check. You may upload it to a cloud storage site then send me the download link via private message.

Regards,

Message 6 of 30
JBDragon1
Virtuoso

Normally if a HDD fails, you take it out and pop a new drive in.  It's been a while, but you may have to format it first before the NAS will make use of it.  Then it has to resync that new HDD back into your data.  So the NAS is currently rebuilding any data that was lost when you pulled that bad hard drive and it now has to rebuild all that data onto your new HDD to restore your NAS as it should be.  This is all part of RAID, in this case, RAID5.  

If your system is missing the HDD you pulled and not seeing the new HDD, it would be Degraded!!!  If another HDD should fail during this period, you'll lose all your data on all of your drives.  Which is why a NAS is not a backup!!!  Again it sounds like you have to format the new drive.  Click on the new drive that is not part of your system yet, hit Format, and it'll ask you to type in DESTROY.  Make sure you only do that to the new drive that is not a part of your NAS yet.  

You may have a Box under your main Data box in Volumes with a red dot in it.  You'll want to click on the little gear and stroll down to Distroy.  If you have that second Box.   Don't do that to your main Data Box.

This is in your System Volumes Area of your NAS.  Once the new drive is part of your system, it has to Resync which can take hours!!!  That will give you reduced performance.  You can still use your NAS in the process.  In fact I'm doing it right now.  My NAS has a number of issues I needed to fix.  In the end, I backed up all my Data like you should onto another NAS.  I use a cheaper 4 bay QNAP NAS in RAID 0.  To get the max storage.  It's only a backup and only on for a few hours a couple times a week normally.  

installing apps the hard way though SSH, over the years and mangled some of my apps, NZBGet, Sonarr, and Radarr.  So under a suggestion by another user, I moved over to using DOCKER.  It's taken me a little while to figure out how to use it, and use it on a ReadyNAS 516.    But I now have them working through DOCKER this time.  In some ways it's easier overall to setup.  What was holding me up were path issues.  But once I figured out what was wrong, I got it working quickly with the other programs.  It all came togeather.

Then had been working on this with just the 2 drives in raid 1.  Just in case I had to start over once again and factory wipe it all once again.  Once my apps were running, I started popping in the other 4 HDD's.  I had to do what I said above.  It's in the Process of resyncing right now with another 44 or so hours to go.  It started at over 60 hours, and it's dropped faster then what it's currently reporting.  When it's finished, I have to copy all my Data back on the the ReadyNAS 516.

PLEX is installed the normal DEB file way.  Same goes with Tautulli which is a PLEX monitoring and tracking tool.  It's pretty nice.

Message 7 of 30
StephenB
Guru

@Maxpower411 wrote:

The main error message at this time, shows degraded, with the new drive not doing its job??

Thanks for any help, using flex or raid 5

As noted above, the rsync setting on system->services has nothing to do with resync.

Normally when you hot-swap a drive it should resync automatically. The volume will be degraded, and you will see resync progress on the volume tab until the process completes.

If resync isn't happening, you can try selecting the drive and clicking the format button.  That might help, or give you a clue on what's happening. 

If the format is successful, but resync hasn't started then you can try rebooting the NAS next, and see if that triggers resync.

I don't know why you are using FlexRAID, but if you only have one volume you might see if the system will let you switch to X-RAID.  As a reminder, X-RAID is enabled if you see a green stripe on the X-RAID control on the volume tab.  If you don't see that, just click on the control.

If for some reason you really need FlexRAID, you could see if the system will let you add the new drive to the array manually.  You'd do that by selecting the volume on the volumes setting wheel, then selecting the new disk, and finally selecting "add parity".

Message 8 of 30
Maxpower411
Aspirant

Thank You All-

JohnCM_S-

Please Note

The Drive and the network are funtioning fine. However the New Disk, has not tried to resync. I have formatted it twice, and rebooted till,

I am blue in the face But Not Happening. In the past, when I removed a drive, it would see it, and automatically begin resync, but n NOT this time. The disk was marked red. Now all lights on the ReadyNas 516 are green, all I need is the new drive to begin the resync process to join the volume. (it is currently showing offline) How I do this? I am clueless

In the Volume Tab it shows X-Raid with a green stripe
It also shows Data 6.01TB/Snapshots 8.36TB/Free Space 7.43TB /Type Raid5 Volume is degraded
In Overview Tab it shows Correctly 7.43TB free of 21.81TB (5 Disks)
When I goto Volumes on the newly formated disk it allows these OPTIONS: X-Raid (with green stripe),
Format (which I did) and global spare Nothing Else

The New Disk was a 6 TB Drive, same as all the others.

Thanks again for all your help in advance.

Jeff

Model: RN51661D|ReadyNAS 516 6-Bay 6x1TB Desktop Drive
Message 9 of 30
Maxpower411
Aspirant

I did message you the download of the logs

Message 10 of 30
Maxpower411
Aspirant

All Lights are Blue NOT green on actual ReadyNas 516

Message 11 of 30
Sandshark
Sensei

@Maxpower411 wrote:

When I goto Volumes on the newly formated disk it allows these OPTIONS: X-Raid (with green stripe),
Format (which I did) and global spare Nothing Else

I believe we understand the condition, and your log will help show more.  You say the depiction of the LED in the GUI for that drive is green.  What color is the drive itself?  Does it show up as a separate volume?

I've never seen XRAID as an option in the drive menu.  Did Netgear add that so that those adding a drive and not wanting it to add to the volume could instead switch to FlexRAID before it's too late?  I've not had a drive addition or swap under OS6.10.x to know.  I did suggest something like that, though I had hoped it would be more automatic and realize that restoration of a degraded volume is a different condition than addition of a drive.

Message 12 of 30
Maxpower411
Aspirant

This is what this looks like, if you select X-Raid you get a warningScreenshot_2021-02-14 BigKahuna.png

Message 13 of 30
Maxpower411
Aspirant

Screenshotz_2021-02-14 BigKahuna (2).jpg

Message 14 of 30
Maxpower411
Aspirant

Unable to post jpg or png of what I am seeing

Model: RN51600|ReadyNAS 516 6-Bay Diskless
Message 15 of 30
Sandshark
Sensei

They need to be cleared by a moderator so inappropriate content can be rejected.  I'm sure yours is fine, but you know what kind I mean.

Since I can't see your screen grab, does it include the text of the warning you mention?

Message 16 of 30
Maxpower411
Aspirant

Thsi is the warning-

Flex-Raid Mode
Netgear recommends that only advanced
users disable X-Raid. Once X-Raid is disabled,
you can create multiple volumes on the system;
however, incremental vertical expansion is not
supported with X-raid mode disabled.
then it says yes or no

Message 17 of 30
Sandshark
Sensei

That's not the drive menu.  You correctly didn't select Yes, and that warning confirms XRAID really is still active.

In the screen shot, you appear to have the active volume selected, not the new drive.  Did the NAS actually appear to be formatting the drive (and say so in the log) when you did so?  As it appears in the picture, it would not.  Format is not an available option because you don't want to format your active volume.  Make you select the new (black) drive, then the Format button should change to active and let you format the drive.  Netgear unfortunately chose to highlight available buttons differently than the standard Windows/Mac ghosted/unghosted.

If that still doesn't work, connect it back to your PC one more time and remove all partitioning, then re-insert.

Message 18 of 30
Maxpower411
Aspirant

I Understand what you have said, and I have done this correctly, It has showed in the logs, that the non-volume drive was formated. I was merely showing you the only options that remain. I was hoping that I would get some feedback from John_CS the netgear moderator.

Message 19 of 30
Maxpower411
Aspirant

I backed out of that, and did not format the raid volume, just showing the options available.

Message 20 of 30
StephenB
Guru

@Maxpower411 wrote:

I was hoping that I would get some feedback from John_CS the netgear moderator.

@JohnCM_S - starting with the @ will send him a notification.

The other mod who covers this forum is @Marc_V 

@Maxpower411 wrote:

It has showed in the logs, that the non-volume drive was formated. 

Just to be really clear - you selected the new drive, clicked on the format control, and the log is showing that the drive was successfully formatted?

Message 21 of 30
Maxpower411
Aspirant

yes

Message 22 of 30
Maxpower411
Aspirant

Yes

Message 23 of 30
StephenB
Guru

Hopefully one of the mods will respond.

In the meantime, you might want to download the log zip file, and look in rn-expand.log  There might be a clue in there.

Message 24 of 30
JohnCM_S
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi Maxpower411,

I see errors on disk slot 2. This could be an issue on the disk or an issue with the bay itself.

[Sun Feb 14 12:55:23 2021] ata2.00: exception Emask 0x0 SAct 0x0 SErr 0x0 action 0x0
[Sun Feb 14 12:55:23 2021] ata2.00: irq_stat 0x40000001
[Sun Feb 14 12:55:23 2021] ata2.00: failed command: READ DMA EXT
[Sun Feb 14 12:55:23 2021] ata2.00: cmd 25/00:08:00:f4:a0/00:00:ba:02:00/e0 tag 21 dma 4096 in
res 51/04:08:00:f4:a0/00:00:ba:02:00/e0 Emask 0x1 (device error)
[Sun Feb 14 12:55:23 2021] ata2.00: status: { DRDY ERR }
[Sun Feb 14 12:55:23 2021] ata2.00: error: { ABRT }

You may want to check the health of the replacement disk using the disk manufacturer's tool.

Another option is If you have a spare disk, you can try removing first all the disks (label the disks with their corresponding bay before removing them), then insert only the spare disk to slot 2 and see if it will detect it and allow you to create a volume.

I also see some warning of increasing command time outs on disk 4

[21/02/13 19:49:10 EST] warning:disk:LOGMSG_SMART_CMD_TIMEOUT_WARN Detected high command timeouts: [196] on disk 4 (Internal) [ST6000NE0021-2EN11C, ZA16JSPT]. This condition often indicates an impending failure. Be prepared to replace this disk to maintain data redundancy.

Regards,

Message 25 of 30
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 29 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements