× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

READYNAS NV+ v2 HDD upgrade issues

Untamedgeek
Aspirant

READYNAS NV+ v2 HDD upgrade issues

Good morning everyone

I was hoping to not have to ask as I'm guessing it already been asked. However after some time looking I'm not able to find answer for my needs (or own personal stupidity).

I'm running a RND4000v2 - READYNAS NV+ v2 with 1TB drives in bay 1 & 2 and they are close to capacity. I've purchased 2 new WD RED 3TB drive to replace them. I know I can use bays 3 & 4, but I wanted to upgrade 1 & 2 first. When I hot swap bay 2, after leaving it to do its thing over night, it just tells me its unprotected and hasn't performed any sync. The drive is recognised in RAIDar and within the dashboard the drive is green.  Do I need to then swap out bay 1 for things to return to noraml or am I going to have to do a factory rest? If I were to use bays 3 & 4 as expansion what would happen when 1 & 2 reach their limit?

I like I've said I looked on here and read the documention and its turned into a mine filed.

All help and comments are greafully recived.

Model: ReadyNAS-NV+|ReadyNAS NV+
Message 1 of 8
StephenB
Guru

Re: READYNAS NV+ v2 HDD upgrade issues

If the volume is unprotected, then your data is at risk.  You shouldn't pull drive 1.

What firmware is currently running on your NAS?

Also, it would be wise to make sure you have an up-to-date backup.

Message 2 of 8
Untamedgeek
Aspirant

Hi StephenB

Thanks for the responce. Firmwares up to date (was the first thing I checked but I will check it agian just to be sure tonight). A back is run every night to an external drive and that is being upgraded to a larger on to. 

I think what I was expecting is that by replacing bay 2 it would resync, I could then repalce bay 1 and this would then recover/resync from bay 2. Giving both drives the new 3 TB size.

However from what I've read it sounds like it will be a factory rest using the back for the data and config.

Message 3 of 8
StephenB
Guru

@Untamedgeek wrote:

Thanks for the responce. Firmwares up to date (was the first thing I checked but I will check it agian just to be sure tonight).

Note that if you are running 4.1.x firmware you have a v1 NAS, not a v1.  A v1 is limited to 2 TB disks - it won't detect the 3 TB drive size correctly, and therefore won't resync.

There's a lot of confusion here, due to some poor branding decisions Netgear made some years ago.  One reason I ask about firmware version is to verify that the NAS platform is what the owner thinks it is.

Message 4 of 8
Untamedgeek
Aspirant

Totally understand teh ask and the NAS is a v2 and I know this can take up to 4TB and the firmware is 5.3.12

Message 5 of 8
StephenB
Guru

Good.  Perhaps try pulling disk 2 and reinserting (with the NAS running) and see if take-2 works.

Message 6 of 8
Untamedgeek
Aspirant

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you StephenB. It's been a busy week at work.

However I have pulled disk 2 and put in the new 3TB. It goes through an install process (which I have left to run over night). Only to find it then displays the message c:/unprotected. This is were documenteation and research has got me scratching my head. Is thi message due to disk 2 now not being big enough or is disk 2 now not recognised?

I have pulled disk 1 after the install of 3TB in disk 2 and the files are non accessable. Do I need to now replace disk 1 with 3TB in order for a resync to occur or is this an indication that something hasn't worked correctly?

Message 7 of 8
StephenB
Guru

@Untamedgeek wrote:

I have pulled disk 1 after the install of 3TB in disk 2 and the files are non accessable. Do I need to now replace disk 1 with 3TB in order for a resync to occur or is this an indication that something hasn't worked correctly?

Power down, reinstall disk 1.  You might as well remove disk 2.  Then power up.  With RAID-5 you could have lost the volume.  But you should be fine with degraded RAID-1.

I'm not sure what's going on with the disk 2 replacement.  You could try re-inserting the disk again after you power up, and after the resync download the log zip.  There should be a file called mdstat.log which would give some clues.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements