× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RN102 disk1 Degrading after adding new disk for raid1

shedemand
Guide

RN102 disk1 Degrading after adding new disk for raid1

RN102 fw:6.10.6 with WD-Red 3TB, working 6yrs with spotless logs.
Installed another WD-Red 3TB in slot 2, and changed X-RAID to FLEXRAID = Raid1.
Immediately I got a yellow warning that disk1 was degraded, and resync started, and this lasted approx. 8hrs.
After complete resync I still got the "Degraded" warning, but the volume seems to work OK.
Have tried both restart (+ automaticly full resync again), Scrub and Defrag succesfully, but Disktest stopped with an errorwarning.

What to do?
If no easy out, can I seperate the raid1 and  go back to the original single disk, or can I move the new resynced disk to slot1 as master, or do I need to wipe and reinstall both disks (I have backup on another RN102).
Rgds and tks. in advance
Søren H. /Denmark
sshot-2.jpgsshot-1.jpg

Model: RN102|ReadyNAS 100 Series 2- Bay
Message 1 of 7
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: RN102 disk1 Degrading after adding new disk for raid1

@shedemand 

Since you are using RAID1, Disk 2 is an exact copy of the 1st. You have to make sure to make a backup of your data before doing anything else. It's good that the resync was completed before Disk 1 failed.

We need to check if Disk 1 has errors by going to diskinfo.log or smart_history.log. You can do that by downloading the zip log file from the NAS.

If you will move the disk bay location, make sure your NAS is off.

You cannot go back to the previous configuration you have to destroy the volume then set it up again.

It would be better to check Disk 1 first if it failed. You can take it out and check it on a PC using vendor tools like Seatools to check the drive and request for RMA if it is eligible.

If there's no issue with the disk or if you have a replacement or it has been replaced, then doing a factory reset is an option to start fresh with both disks inserted. It will be on X-raid RAID1.

Replacing disk1 with a new 3TB disk is also an option. Otherwise, you will have to set up the healthy drive again to use it as a single drive.

HTH

Model: RN102|ReadyNAS 100 Series 2- Bay
Message 2 of 7
shedemand
Guide

@Marc_V 
Tks Marc
I'll try various solutions and report back.
It may take a couple of weeks, - I'm quite busy at the moment
Rgds
Søren

Message 3 of 7
shedemand
Guide

@Marc_V 

I have gone through the extended logs, but allthough I haved worked in IT right up to my pension, I do not know exactly what I should be looking for in the logs.
So I take the liberty to forward extracts from some of the log-postings on my OneDrive:
https://1drv.ms/u/s!Anw_yRjl5NKvisNoMkkgLZ_v59a3Tw?e=2EU0kP
If you wonder why the NAS name is "Cody", the reason is that my first NAS many years ago was a Buffalo-NAS  🙂
Re backup: I have a continuous backup of Cody on another RN102 placed at a different physical location on my LAN for security reasons (fire, theft), since Cody holds all kinds of personal documents, videos and photos for me and my wife.
Thanks in advance for your help
Søren

Message 4 of 7
shedemand
Guide

@Marc_V 

Sry wrong link! This is the correct link:
https://1drv.ms/u/s!Anw_yRjl5NKvisNyXVZV93Ldyn1y3A?e=UpUM4i
Søren

Message 5 of 7
StephenB
Guru

sda (the first disk) failed the most recent self test, and is showing read errors in the kernel log (perhaps other places).

One thing you could try is powering down the NAS, and removing that disk.  Then boot the system up in read-only mode, and verify that you can access the data.  If you can, the step after that would be to make sure you have a current backup.

Message 6 of 7
shedemand
Guide

@Marc_V

@StephenB 

Hello again
No matter what I tried, I could not get rid of the "Degraded" msg on the original disc 1.
I finally DESTROY'ed it, made it a new volume, formatted and ran a Disk Test, that stopped and flagged the Degraded msg again!
On top of that the new Raid1 disc was empty although I had a msg saying Resync complete.
Result: I have dumped the old disc1, and using the new as single disc in slot 1, and are reestablishing shares and transfering the  approx. 2TB data from my other NAS, estimated to take 3 days.
Meanwhile I have ordered yet another similar WD30 red, and will install this as disc2 in a new raid1.
I think the problem was, that the disc had run for 9 yrs in 24/7/365-mode,
But thanks for both your replies anyway!
Rgds
Søren /Denmark

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements