× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RN104 Drive not available

Garthadam
Aspirant

RN104 Drive not available

New system. Only been running for 2 days. I have 2 * 4tb WD red drives. Both drives show in the admin page when i look at volumes and performance however I am only showing 3.61TB of free space. I tried a hot remove and insert on drive 2  but nothing changed. I did recieve a warning that 'volume data has changed from redundant to degraded' upon removing the drive.

Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: RN104 Drive not available

The RAID redundancy gives you some protection for your data when a disk fails.  Normally all you need to do is replace a disk when it fails.  Your data remains fully available during the entire process.  Also, when you add a disk the volume automatically expands - again your data is still available throughout the process.

For most users this is a desired feature (and it is the default).  

If you decide you don't want it, you can convert to jbod, which will give you two 4 TB volumes with no redundancy.

Either way, you should have a backup plan in place.  Devices can fail, so it is unwise to trust your data to a single device.  If you do, at some point you will lose it - its just a matter of when.

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 5

All Replies
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

That is a normal amount of free space.

The default config of X-RAID is in use so if a disk fails your data remains intact. Backups are still important. Did you want a different volume configuration?

Message 2 of 5
Garthadam
Aspirant

But if i have 8TB installed why does it show that only half is available? I would prefer staying with default configuration.

Message 3 of 5
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Your data volume is redundant. The data is on both disks. Have a read about RAID-1.

If you add a third disk your volume capacity will double. Have a read about RAID-5.

Message 4 of 5
StephenB
Guru

The RAID redundancy gives you some protection for your data when a disk fails.  Normally all you need to do is replace a disk when it fails.  Your data remains fully available during the entire process.  Also, when you add a disk the volume automatically expands - again your data is still available throughout the process.

For most users this is a desired feature (and it is the default).  

If you decide you don't want it, you can convert to jbod, which will give you two 4 TB volumes with no redundancy.

Either way, you should have a backup plan in place.  Devices can fail, so it is unwise to trust your data to a single device.  If you do, at some point you will lose it - its just a matter of when.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements