× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RN2120 Hot Swap HDD by Accident now Re-syncing

jkucukov
Aspirant

RN2120 Hot Swap HDD by Accident now Re-syncing

Hi, new to the community, looking for wisdom 🙂

I've got a RN 2120 with 4 x 4TB WD Black drives, the NAS is setup as RAID5 for home use storage, total space comes out to 10.9TB.

The hard drives are brand new and have nothing on them. What happened today is I accidentally pulled out a hard drive and popped it back in while the NAS was running. As a result, the hard drive that was out for a split second is now being re-synced and its taking 20 hrs or so to perform the function, is this normal under RAID5? 

If somebody could explain, why would the empty hard drive need to be re-synced for RAID5 if there’s no data?

Thanks,

Yas 

Model: RN2120|ReadyNAS 2120 1U 4-Bay Diskless
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: RN2120 Hot Swap HDD by Accident now Re-syncing

What firmware is your system running?

@jkucukov wrote:

is this normal under RAID5? 

If somebody could explain, why would the empty hard drive need to be re-synced for RAID5 if there’s no data?

It is normal.  RAID5 creates a virtual disk, and the NAS puts a file system onto that virtual disk.

The RAID structures (parity blocks etc) therefore operate on the raw disk sectors.  It doesn't matter if those sectors are used by the file system or not - the RAID software neither knows that or cares about that.  When you reinsert a disk, the array needs to be resynced.  It takes the same time when the disks are full as it does when they are empty.

That said, with OS 6 there usually is some user action required when you insert a used disk in the NAS.  That is why I am wondering about what firmware you are running (and if it is up to date).

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 4

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

What firmware is your system running?

@jkucukov wrote:

is this normal under RAID5? 

It is normal.  RAID5 creates a virtual disk, and the NAS puts a file system onto that virtual disk.

The RAID structures (parity blocks etc) therefore operate on the raw disk sectors.  It doesn't matter if those sectors are used by the file system or not - the RAID software neither knows that or cares about that.  When you reinsert a disk, the array needs to be resynced.  It takes the same time when the disks are full as it does when they are empty.

That said, with OS 6 there usually is some user action required when you insert a used disk in the NAS.  That is why I am wondering about what firmware you are running (and if it is up to date).

Message 2 of 4
jkucukov
Aspirant

Thanks for the reply, I was wondering if it had any intelligence to know what was set up once before.

The RN2120 has the latest 6.9.3 version.

Funny that there are no labels or warning on these devices letting a user know in case you decide to take out a hard drive by accident plan for a complete re-sync. It was frustrating, I thought I broke something 🙂

Message 3 of 4
StephenB
Guru

@jkucukov wrote:

Thanks for the reply, I was wondering if it had any intelligence to know what was set up once before.

There is some information on the drives, including transaction counts that can be used to tell how far out of sync the drives are. 

I don't know how Netgear uses that info; though IMO it is generally better to do a potentially unneeded resync than to risk a corrupt file system.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements