× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RN2120 - Network doesnt work anymore

louielang
Aspirant

RN2120 - Network doesnt work anymore

Hey there,
I've got a RN2120. I use this bad boy to store my backups on it.
After 1 year of running without any problems the NAS suddenly wasn't reachable over the LAN anymore.
After a reboot the NAS was reachable again but it doesnt take a long time til the network connection broke down again.
So I ordered a new one over the Netgear support.
My question is:
Is it possible to put my hard drives from one 2120 to another 2120 without any loss of data?
I have read something about the backup/restore-procedure to save/restore the configuration of the NAS.
I think I have to transfer the configuration first, right? Is the RAID-config included in the backup-file?

Thank you for your support!
Cheers!
Message 1 of 3
StephenB
Guru

Re: RN2120 - Network doesnt work anymore

If you are migrating disks to another unit in the same family, all you really need to do is move the disks. The OS partition on the disks contains the configuration (raid, shares, user accounts, everything).

It is a good idea to boot up the new unit with a scratch disk first (not part of your current disk array). Then you can install the same firmware version that was on the old NAS (if you know it). If not, just install the newest firmware. This is particularly important if the replacement is a used unit.

The reason this is a good idea: When the NAS boots, it looks at the firmware on the OS partition. If it doesn't match the internal flash of the NAS, then the boot process will reinstall the OS version on the flash. Usually that does no harm, but if the OS on the disks (or the flash) is very old it can create problems sometimes.
Message 2 of 3
louielang
Aspirant

Re: RN2120 - Network doesnt work anymore

That works! Just swap the disks into the new RN2120 and its back on!
Thank you so much for helping!
Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements