× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RN21400 HAVING VOLUMN ERROR AND GOING READ ONLY

ecybertom
Aspirant

RN21400 HAVING VOLUMN ERROR AND GOING READ ONLY

I have two of this model, one purchased in 11-16-16 and one 9-5-18. Both running Firmware 6.9.4. Both were turned off for 2 months and restarted 12-4-18. Within a few hours of restarting, both (and an RN102) loaded Hotfix 1. Within 2 days of this hotfix addition, the older unit had a volume error and went 'read only'. I rebuilt the system and so far, seems to be working. This morning I found the new one went into error / read only mode. I've not had this problem berfore; the 102 system seems to be holding. If this is a recurring theme I'll buy another brand.

Message 1 of 8
StephenB
Guru

Re: RN21400 HAVING VOLUMN ERROR AND GOING READ ONLY

Are you seeing any disk or btrfs errors in the logs?  Perhaps search system.log and kernel.log.

Message 2 of 8
ecybertom
Aspirant

Yes, btrfs errors. See attached

Model: RN21400|ReadyNAS 214 Series 4-Bay (Diskless)
Message 3 of 8
StephenB
Guru

@ecybertom wrote:

Yes, btrfs errors. See attached

Well, that explains it.

Make a backup if you can - if not, you'll need data recovery to extract the data from the volume.

I'd start by testing the disks in a windows PC (seatools for seagate, lifeguard for western digital).

Message 4 of 8
ecybertom
Aspirant

The Btrfs's are associated with a device identified as md126. Is there some way to trace which drive that identifies or is that the whole system. I've been preoccupied with other efforts so am just getting back to identify the drive(s).

Message 5 of 8
StephenB
Guru

@ecybertom wrote:

The Btrfs's are associated with a device identified as md126. 

That's a virtual disk drive (that is, a RAID group).  You can look at disk_info.log and mdstat.log so see how it correlates to physical disks. Disk_info will also give you the SMART statistics - which you should certainly review.

Do you have multiple volumes, or only one?

If you are running XRAID, then its a RAID group that was created when you vertically expanded the NAS storage (upgrading to larger disks). For instance, if you started with 4x2TB and expanded two disks to 4 TB, then md126 would use the 2 TB of new space on the two upgraded disks.  The file system would span both md127 and md126, so the errors would affect the file system generally.

Message 6 of 8
ecybertom
Aspirant

Here is the mdstat log. The listing seems to indicate that while I thought everything was Raid 5, there are also a raid 1 segment and a raid 6 chunk. And you are correct, I increased size a year or so ago and have both a 126 and 127. If I take out a disk, run it through a check and if OK, replace it, will the system rebuild itself with that disk?

Message 7 of 8
StephenB
Guru

@ecybertom wrote:

there are also a raid 1 segment and a raid 6 chunk. 

md0 is the OS partition, which is replicated on every disk.  That is done with RAID-1 (which will mirror to all disks in the RAID-1 array).

md1 is also used by the OS - not sure why Netgear chose to make it RAID-6.

So your data volume is RAID-5, and is built from two RAID-5 groups.

@ecybertom wrote:

If I take out a disk, run it through a check and if OK, replace it, will the system rebuild itself with that disk?

It's best to power down the NAS before removing the disk, and keep it powered down until you replace it.

Your file system is corrupted, but the disks and raid array might not be.  If that's the case, then resyncing RAID won't fix anything.

Do you have a backup of the data?

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements