× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RN316 Corrupt Files

StephenB
Guru

Re: RN316 Corrupt Files

@Mook2 wrote:

I'm not sure what the process is. These boxes are beyond free support. What are my options? Do I call Netgear open a case?

You'd open a case after logging into my.netgear.com (using whatever credentials you used when registering your NAS).  You can ask for per-incident support, or purchase a support contract.  Note you don't want the gearhead support.  @JohnCM_S or @Marc_V should be able to assist.

@Mook2 wrote:

I also saw a third-party support group for Netgear...

I'd avoid that.

@Mook2 wrote:

What is Insight?

A management app - not related to support.

Message 26 of 30
Mook2
Aspirant

Managed to talk to support about this issue.

I included a link to this thread and the logfile.

Diagnosis: unknown cause.

Solution: Factory reset and backup once more.

Thanks for all the replies in this thread.

Dave-

Model: RN31600|ReadyNAS 300 Series 6- Bay (Diskless)
Message 27 of 30
eph3
Aspirant

The assumption that WD Red drives are not the problem may not be a good one. According to Tom's Hardware, Western Digital decided to ship some Shingled Magnetic Recording (SMR) drives under the Red label. This is bad since SMR was primarily aimed at archival storage due to its poor random access write behavior. Apparently some ZFS RAIDs have been throwing errors and dropping these "Red" drives out of their arrays.

I found this article on the situation and the reader comments to be very educational.

Message 28 of 30
StephenB
Guru

@eph3 wrote:

According to Tom's Hardware, Western Digital decided to ship some Shingled Magnetic Recording (SMR) drives under the Red label.

WD hasn't said, but there are two models that allegedly use SMR - the WD60EFAX and the WD20EFAX.  The older WD60EFRX and WD20EFRX did not.  That information comes from the Synology compatibility list ( https://www.synology.com/en-global/compatibility?search_by=products&model=DX213&category=hdds_no_ssd... )

Although I do have some WD60EFRX, I have run into some UNC errors that I haven't seen on my other WD drives.  What's a little weird is that the errors aren't shown in the SMART stats (they only show with the -x option).  I've replaced two with WD100EFAX drives, and will replace the others eventually. 

Message 29 of 30
Mook2
Aspirant

eph, Stephen, thanks for the additional info.

Well, SIX days after the factory reset and recreating my newest backup I seem to be in business. Diagnostics from RAIDar report:

Successfully completed diagnostics
System
No errors found.
Logs
No errors found.

Thanks for the info in this thread but the cause is unkown.

Now to rescan and fire up my Squeezebox Touch. 🙂

Dave-

Model: RN31600|ReadyNAS 300 Series 6- Bay (Diskless)
Message 30 of 30
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 29 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements