× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RND4000 trying to boot from USB but OS Index Error

Oz_Pete
Aspirant

RND4000 trying to boot from USB but OS Index Error

Hi Team,

I have an RND4000 NV+ 4  Bay. It is stuck on boot, I have done the initialisation of OS already, still the same. I have downloaded both the oldest and newest radiator bios firmware files from the support page. Loaded them one at a time on a blank FAT32 format USB in the root directory, then placed the USB in the front USB socket on the NAS unit. Held the power but down for 20 secs until the display indicated USB boot mode. In both instances the sequence stopped with an error "BIOS INFO: OS Index ERROR". This would happen with or without disks being in.

I cant find any reference to the error.

RAIDar cant see the unit.

Any suggestions would be helpful, the disks have data on them.

Pete

Message 1 of 14
StephenB
Guru

Re: RND4000 trying to boot from USB but OS Index Error

@Oz_Pete wrote:

I have an RND4000 NV+ 4  Bay. It is stuck on boot,

Does your NAS say ReadyNAS NV+ on the front panel?

Or does it say ReadyNAS NV+ v2 on the front panel?

Message 2 of 14
Sandshark
Sensei

That's not how you create a USB recovery drive.  But how you do it depends on which version of the NV+ you have, which is the reason for @StephenB 's question.

Message 3 of 14
Oz_Pete
Aspirant

Thx Stephen for the response. It has NV+ on the front grille. 

Message 4 of 14
StephenB
Guru

@Oz_Pete wrote:

Thx Stephen for the response. It has NV+ on the front grille. 

There is some risk when running the USB recovery, so it would be good to make sure it is the right step first.

I suggest powering down and removing the disks in the NAS (labeling by slot).  Then power up.  Normally you would then see a "no disks" message on the LCD screen of the NAS.  Are you seeing that?

If you are, then I suggest powering down again, and reinserting the disks.  Then power up.  Let us know what is on the LCD screen (if anything).  Also install RAIDar, and see if it can find your NAS.  If it can, let us know what status it is showing (posting a screenshot is a good way to do that). 

Message 5 of 14
Oz_Pete
Aspirant

After removing the disks and powering on I see the message 'No Disks'. I can power the unit down by pressing and holding the power button.

I insert the disks again and reboot, the units remains 'booting...' and hangs there.

When I engage raidar it cannot see the unit and asks me to rescan.

There are no other NAS units on my network. I assume it cannot see it as the unit has not reached the stage where an IP address is established.

I can NOT power the unit down by pressing and holding the power button when it is in the 'booting' phase so I have to remove the power cord to power it down.

Thank you again for your interest in my challenge

Pete

Message 6 of 14
StephenB
Guru

@Oz_Pete wrote:

After removing the disks and powering on I see the message 'No Disks'. I can power the unit down by pressing and holding the power button.

Do you have a spare disk (not in the array, and something you are ok reformatting) that you can test with?  It has to be 2 TB or smaller.

Message 7 of 14
Oz_Pete
Aspirant

Stephen, just letting you know I am trying to get my hands on a spare drive. I appreciate your help and as soon as I get one I'll be straight back to you.

Message 8 of 14
Oz_Pete
Aspirant

I have a spare drive now -  its a Seagate Barracuda 160GB. I'll remove the data drives and number them. I will place the spare drive in a caddy and await instructions.

Many thanks in advance - Pete

Message 9 of 14
StephenB
Guru

@Oz_Pete wrote:

I will place the spare drive in a caddy and await instructions.

Just put the drive into slot 1, and then boot up the NAS and do a factory default.  This normally will do a fresh factory install on the NAS.  If that works (and the system boots normally), then the boot issue is actually due to something on the operational disks, and not the flash memory.

If you don't recall the factory default procedure, see pages 23-24 here: https://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/RND2110/Duov1_NV+v1_HW_en_06Dec11.pdf

Note if the disk is unformatted, then the system will automatically do the install on power up (no need to use the boot menu in that case).

Message 10 of 14
Oz_Pete
Aspirant

Hi Stephen,

I did get that disk and tried to run it up in the old chassis and it failed with a 'disk error - no disk'.

BUT I did get a hold of an identical chassis. I tried the same disk in that with the factory reset and it worked. I then put my original disks in the new chassis and it went thru an update of the firmware onto the disks, and then booted to the disks. I can see all my data in the original format so I have copied the data off, so at least that is done.

I tried first putting the new disk back in the old chassis and it hung on booting; then tried the original disks with the same result.

My take is the old chassis has some sort of 'boot' issue internally - be it the bios or something else.

Stephen what would you suggest from here?

Pete

Message 11 of 14
Sandshark
Sensei

Your symptoms sound more like a power related issue.  "No disks" with a drive inserted is typically a hardware problem, not a firmware one (assuming you know the drive is good),  Replacement supplies are available, but IMHO it's not a worthwhile expense at this point due to the age of the NAS and since you've recovered your data. Not to mention I'm just guessing that would even fix the problem.

Message 12 of 14
Oz_Pete
Aspirant

Totally agree Sandshark - if it means spending $$ / replacing parts then it's going to god.

Message 13 of 14
StephenB
Guru

@Oz_Pete wrote:

I did get that disk and tried to run it up in the old chassis and it failed with a 'disk error - no disk'.

BUT I did get a hold of an identical chassis. I tried the same disk in that with the factory reset and it worked. I then put my original disks in the new chassis and it went thru an update of the firmware onto the disks, and then booted to the disks. I can see all my data in the original format so I have copied the data off, so at least that is done.

I tried first putting the new disk back in the old chassis and it hung on booting; then tried the original disks with the same result.

My take is the old chassis has some sort of 'boot' issue internally - be it the bios or something else.

Stephen what would you suggest from here?

Pete

I agree with @Sandshark that this is likely a power issue with the old chassis.

If the replacement is a chassis you can keep, then I suggest keeping the old one around.  It's possible that something on the system board of the replacement will fail, and if so you can shift back to the old chassis (also moving the power supply from the replacement back to the old chassis).

If the replacement isn't yours to keep, then you should find a more current storage solution (and you might want to plan for that anyway, given that the Netgear stopped manufacturing your NAS about 10 years ago).  Definitely shop around, I think it's increasingly clear that Netgear has silently left the NAS market, so you likely will need to switch to a different vendor.

Message 14 of 14
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements