× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RNDPU 6000 /ultra 6 freezes

harmakhis
Aspirant

RNDPU 6000 /ultra 6 freezes

hi there,

since 2 days experience of freezes from the nas, no reason to it, works since 6 months without probs and now starting to playing with nerves...
its used with 4x2TB WD HDD (2 EARS, 2 EARX) and 2 seagate old HDD 1TB
im in firmware 4.2.2 updated when i received it, so no change since this date
memory is 2x1Gb crucial ballistix
plugged a 60mm fan who flows on the original heatsink for secure thermal enveloppe and memory cooling
a strange thing occurs, on the front LCD panel it reports 1TB free space, in the frontview software 6800Gb used from 7300GB
in my head it makes 500GB free not 1TB, its the first curious element...
the 4.2.2 firmware reports one fan to 900 rpm and the other 25000 rpm...wahoooo 25000rpm for a fan?
the internal temperature of the case is reported 30°c, but the CPU temperature is known to be buggy since 4.2.2, not in the 4.2.15 wich reports it correctly
this temperature is always 50°C anytime and never changes, before in 4.2.15 it was reported in real time
so i never have any bug with it, strange to have now freezes...its running 24/7 but for me a nas is designed to runs for it....
in one other topic its explained perhaps a firmware corruption (how to corrupt a firmware we dont touch it?) and to download it again and reflash it..doing an "os reinstall" by bootmenu?
i have eventually 2 other speculations: perhaps one faulty DDR2 module (doubt it but in this case failure is difficult to find..) or with this bug very common on pc its a thermal fault and i
think if its possible with HDD vibrations or in time the heatsink can move and not make good contact with cpu, or thermal grease not anymore usefull and effect heatsink no efficient....
but there is no alerts in log no alerts in smart no failure no notification no errors advertised by the nas
i realized a quota verification and a filesystem check at reboot time nothing appears the nas answer is "all is good"
what are your advices on this?
regards
Message 1 of 4
harmakhis
Aspirant

Re: RNDPU 6000 /ultra 6 freezes

ho yeaaah
what i surprised to find bubble gum thermal paste when removed the heatsink...so netgear use brown chewing gum hollywood thermal paste to cool cpu?
replaced it with arctic ceramic thermal grease, this is real thermal paste....
please netgear be more distinguished in the future with hardware, thermal bubble gum is not very efficient in time....

Message 2 of 4
FireWalkerX
Aspirant

Re: RNDPU 6000 /ultra 6 freezes

did the replacement of cooling paste work, so that you dont get any freezes anymore?
Message 3 of 4
Marto731
Aspirant

RNDPU 6000 /Ultra 6 freezes

To Harmakhis,
Have you backups going out of NAS? If so, can I suggest that Backup logs are deleted,
as least on a monthly basis. I would question whether Operating partition is filling up.

Rgds Marto
Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements