× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNAS Data Recovery - VMware recovery tool

giob
Aspirant

Re: ReadyNAS Data Recovery - VMware recovery tool

_vito,
could you post instructions on how to use and compile ext2fuse 0.5 in Linux?
I have the same "fuse-ext2: Can't read an inode bitmap while reading inode bitmap" error.

Thank you
(If you are italian we could exchange private mails)
Message 51 of 188
acmtn
Aspirant

giob wrote:
acmtn,
I just started downloading your image from your ftp, but only at 1 kB/sec!

Or could you upload it somewhere else?

Thanks

Updated info: ftp site is [removed], you can use anon login. mulitpart is posted and ready. single file is still uploading and should be ready by 1am Pacific on 01/04/10.
Message 52 of 188
giob
Aspirant

Thanks,
I downloaded multipart files but could not extract them with 7zip (error in archive). I will wait for the singlefile and try again tomorrow.

Giob
Message 53 of 188
acmtn
Aspirant

giob wrote:
Thanks,
I downloaded multipart files but could not extract them with 7zip (error in archive). I will wait for the singlefile and try again tomorrow.

Giob

I downloaded and tested the zip files with WinZip (which is what they were created with) and had no issue.
Message 54 of 188
pingle
Aspirant

Hi acmtn
I used a terminal to make an anonymous connection to your ftp site, and found the directory structure public/vm_Debian5_ext2fuse/singlefile as well as public/vm_Debian5_ext2fuse/multipart.
Unfortunately it looks as though the singlefile directory does not have access permissions for anonymous users.
Regards, Peter
Message 55 of 188
acmtn
Aspirant

pingle wrote:
Hi acmtn
I used a terminal to make an anonymous connection to your ftp site, and found the directory structure public/vm_Debian5_ext2fuse/singlefile as well as public/vm_Debian5_ext2fuse/multipart.
Unfortunately it looks as though the singlefile directory does not have access permissions for anonymous users.
Regards, Peter

Permissions on the single file fixed. Also added versions created with WinRAR - not sure if it makes a difference for the people having difficulty with .zip files, but I kinda want to put this to bed for myself. Will be taking down the site at the end of the week, so hopefully someone can get them copied off to a more permanent location. Thanks, Adam.
Message 56 of 188
_vito
Aspirant

giob wrote:
_vito,
could you post instructions on how to use and compile ext2fuse 0.5 in Linux?
I have the same "fuse-ext2: Can't read an inode bitmap while reading inode bitmap" error.

Thank you
(If you are italian we could exchange private mails)

giob,
I just follow the instructions for all the packets as root:
./configure
make
make install

Anyway ext2fuse 0.5 is already compiled and the command is
ext2fuse -n /dev/c -m <mount_point>
as root.
Message 57 of 188
giob
Aspirant

actmon,

singlefile vmw.Debian5.rar has still permission problems, now I am downloading the zip one. Thanks

giob
Message 58 of 188
dekkit
Aspirant

acmtn wrote:
pingle wrote:
Hi acmtn
Regards, Peter

Permissions on the single file fixed. Also added versions created with WinRAR - not sure if it makes a difference for the people having difficulty with .zip files, but I kinda want to put this to bed for myself. Will be taking down the site at the end of the week, so hopefully someone can get them copied off to a more permanent location. Thanks, Adam.

yep these will be put on the readnas forums server. i'll be uploading it as as soon as my internet usage quota is reset.
Message 59 of 188
pingle
Aspirant

Thank you acmtn. :worship:
I have downloaded your singlefile, unzipped, booted up in VMWare Fusion on my Mac and successfully accessed the VM.
In the VM I opened up a terminal as root and followed the command line instructions as posted by dekkit at the beginning of this post.
Wahoo - I did not get the inode error. 😄
When the terminal said "block size is 16384", it did not return to the cursor.
However, I opened up a new terminal as root and was able to view all of my files.
The next stage was to copy required files off the old disk.
I had a slight complication, in that a large number of the file names (in the source directory and in subdirectories) contained spaces.
This was also the case in the target directory of the USB disk I was copying to (I wanted to only copy those files/directories that did not already exist).
The old disk was not visible through the desktop, as the desktop had vmuser permissions, not root.
Repeated variations of command line hocus pocus were unsuccessful, but using 'startx -- :1' (thanks, Roxoff@www.linuxforums.org/forum) I was able to start a root permissions GUI to drag and drop the files.
I've not bothered with the few files that are > 4GB, as it's apparent that the VM with the compiled-in ext2fuse needs to be recompiled with large file support (beyond my capability).

For the edification of other users on this forum, my problem was not a hardware issue (and anyway, my Duo is out of guarantee) - the problem was the partition that is used by Netgear to store all of the configuration data became corrupted - i.e. my data was fine, but the NAS was no longer operable - even a firmware reload did not fix it.
My only alternative was a factory reset, blitzing my data (and my backup process wasn't optimal).
Thanks to the efforts of acmtn, dekkit et all I have now been able to recover my data.
Best regards, Peter
Message 60 of 188
acmtn
Aspirant

Hello, unless I hear otherwise, I will taking my ftp site down this Friday the 15th. Thanks.
Message 61 of 188
dekkit
Aspirant

acmtn wrote:
Hello, unless I hear otherwise, I will taking my ftp site down this Friday the 15th. Thanks.

i have downloaded this image and uploaded it to the readynas server for everyone else to use.

http://www.readynas.com/contributed/dek ... ebian5.zip (~1.6GB)
Message 62 of 188
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

dekkit wrote:

i have downloaded this image and uploaded it to the readynas server for everyone else to use.

Thanks dekkit. I think I'll download this image.
Message 63 of 188
marmat78
Aspirant

Downloaded and extracted the 1.6GB zip-file. Folder contains files with to me unknown format. Downloaded VM Workstation 7 for Win to install that and try to load the folder content. No luck installing though, setup says I don't have a CPU that supports certain commands (I have Intel Core 2 Duo). What do I have to do in order to get this VMware recovery tool up and running in order to have a go at accessing my crashed Seagate disk?
Message 64 of 188
dekkit
Aspirant

marmat78 wrote:
Downloaded and extracted the 1.6GB zip-file. Folder contains files with to me unknown format. Downloaded VM Workstation 7 for Win to install that and try to load the folder content. No luck installing though, setup says I don't have a CPU that supports certain commands (I have Intel Core 2 Duo). What do I have to do in order to get this VMware recovery tool up and running in order to have a go at accessing my crashed Seagate disk?

I'm using an old P4, and running the free VMplayer on WinXP SP3 and it seems to boot up fine. I'd be surprised if your Intel couldn't run it using VMplayer (given that it was created within a virtual environment and should not be hardware dependant). You need to select the vmw.Debian5.vmx file from within the VMplayer app.

Once you get past that look over the instructions provided acmtn as how to login and access your disk, you'll need to run a few terminal commands to get things working (see the first post, and subsequent amendments).

Dek
Message 65 of 188
marmat78
Aspirant

Finally got WMware Player 3.0.0 working on my PC, ran the image, accessed the disk and ran the terminal commands. Results:

vmw:/home/vmuser# modprobe fuse
vmw:/home/vmuser# vgscan
Reading all physical volumes. This may take a while...
/dev/sdb: read failed after 0 of 512 at 0: Input/output error
/dev/sdb: read failed after 0 of 512 at 2199023124480: Input/output error
/dev/sdb: read failed after 0 of 512 at 2199023243264: Input/output error
/dev/sdb: read failed after 0 of 512 at 4096: Input/output error
/dev/sdb: read failed after 0 of 2048 at 0: Input/output error
Found volume group "vmw.debian5" using metadata type lvm2
vmw:/home/vmuser# vgchange -ay c
/dev/sdb: read failed after 0 of 512 at 2199023124480: Input/output error
/dev/sdb: read failed after 0 of 512 at 2199023243264: Input/output error
/dev/sdb: read failed after 0 of 512 at 4096: Input/output error
Volume group "c" not found
vmw:/home/vmuser# mkdir /mnt/lvm
mkdir: cannot create directory `/mnt/lvm': File exists
vmw:/home/vmuser# ext2fuse /dev/c/c /mnt/lvm
/dev/c/c is to be mounted at /mnt/lvm
fuse-ext2fs: No such file or directory while trying to open /dev/c/c

Can I now conclude my Seagate 1TB is in fact completely broken? Greatful for an answer to get a closure and throw this disk away. Only wish Netgear would start putting up other brands than Seagate on the HCL since this i my second dead Seagate. Really would like to buy e.g. larger Samsung disks that were on the HCL (especially now when I can't get rid of the ATA/LCC errors on my brand new 1.5TB WD15EARS........)
😞
Message 66 of 188
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

marmat78 wrote:

Can I now conclude my Seagate 1TB is in fact completely broken?

How did it go when you ran SeaTools on it? See faq.php#How_can_I_verify_that_my_disk_is_bad%3F

If a disk is bad, you are not going to be able to recover the dat using the VMWare Recovery Tool. The Tool is only really useful for a rare situation where your ReadyNas chassis fails, you can't/don't want to get a replacement chassis and you wish to recover data from disks that are all fine.
Message 67 of 188
marmat78
Aspirant

SeaTools didn't even start. Displayed something like "catastrophic error..." and shut down. Yes I know VMware-solution isn't primarily for recovery, but I wanted to try all options before saying goodbye to my dear data on that disk (not dear enough to pay €1500 for Ibas' physical recovery though!). By the way, sometimes you can recover data with softwares like Ontrack or R-Tools, but how if you can't mount the disk (i.e. recovery would require mounting the disk, right?).
Message 68 of 188
chirpa
Luminary

Ontrack/etc can't do much if the disk is physically bad. If SeaTools can't work with the disk, VMware never will.
Message 69 of 188
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

In future marmat78 I suggest you backup your data regularly. See http://www.readynas.com/?p=3153
Message 70 of 188
scokar
Aspirant

I've managed to set up an Ubuntu Karmic system and am at the stage where I can mount my four 1TB drives from our NV+ as an LVM group.

How can I mount the group so that a non-root user can see the data?

When I try to access /mnt/lvm as a non-root user, OR share via samba, OR share via NFS, I get "permission denied"

I have added a user to the "fuse" group.

Thanks.
Message 71 of 188
Angel40k
Aspirant

I am trying also to retrieve the data from a disk coming from my Ready NAS Duo with th VMWare image of Debian system (downloaded from the first page of the topic)
Badly I have yet some problem with this image.

Here you are the procedure that I applied to try to recover my data:

From a first terminal, I execute the following script:
debian-vm:/# cat mynas
#!/bin/bash
modprobe fuse
vgscan
vgchange -ay c
mkdir /mnt/lvm
ext2fuse /dev/c/c /mnt/lvm
cd /mnt/lvm

debian-vm:/# ./mynas
Reading all physical volumes. This may take a while...
Found volume group "c" using metadata type lvm2
1 logical volume(s) in volume group "c" now active
mkdir: cannot create directory `/mnt/lvm': File exists
/dev/c/c is to be mounted at /mnt/lvm
fuse-ext2: Can't read an inode bitmap while reading inode bitmap
-> here is the first error. What's that?
In addition, no information about block size is 16384". Why?
At this time this first console do'nt return to the prompt.

From a second terminal TERMINAL-2, I try to access my data:
debian-vm:/home/vmplanet# cd /mnt
debian-vm:/mnt# cd lvm
debian-vm:/mnt/lvm# ls
aquota.group Archives Download home media Pictures webroot
aquota.user Data eBooks lost+found Music Video
debian-vm:/mnt/lvm#

debian-vm:/mnt/lvm# ls eBooks
ls: cannot access eBooks: No such file or directory
debian-vm:/mnt/lvm#

In the same time, the following error messages are displayed on the first terminal:
TERMINAL-1
ext2fuse_dbg_msg: Bad address while reading inode 7798785
ext2fuse_dbg_msg: Operation not permitted while reading inode 7798785
ext2fuse_dbg_msg: Bad address while reading inode 7798785
ext2fuse_dbg_msg: Operation not permitted while reading inode 7798785

Could you help me to restore my data? Please !!!
Message 72 of 188
dekkit
Aspirant

Angel40k try acmtn's release ~1.6GB download (the link is also provided on the first page of this thread from the readynas server) and see if you get the same issues.

my version (dekkit release) has the known issue of "fuse-ext2: Can't read an inode bitmap while reading inode bitmap" which acmtn's release has managed to resolve.

dek
Message 73 of 188
Angel40k
Aspirant

Thanks you very much for the advice. With the acmtn Debian release, I can now read the disk.
Now I can restore my data!

I would like to thank all persons having participated in this topic. Without them I n 'aurais never achieved to recover my data
Message 74 of 188
Jallamamba
Aspirant

Thank you all for the work you have done in this matter 🙂
I have downloaded the acmtn Debian release, and it runs fine in VMware.
I have connected my disk that was in my Duo, using a SATA -> USB and I get this icon in WMware, I have connected it (disconnected from host), but I cant find it...
When it comes to linux, I'm tootaly blank, but I can still read :lol: so I can manage to do stuff, if the reading is in a 'easy language'.
also:
I saw this folder called app_install on desktop, and I guess I need one or several progs from there? If so, can somebody explain me step by step how to install them? please?
Message 75 of 188
Top Contributors
Announcements